Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question. What would the consequences be if I roughed in a shower without using a mixing valve? In other words, I ran a hot water line to a gate valve and a cold line to another, then fed both to a common line to a shower head.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow. I never thunked of dat.

I recommend you hire a licensed plumber to consult prior to considering such a decision.

That is not even hackery. It’s half donkied hackery.

Possibly fill the gate valves with hydraulic cement prior to use.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
.............Possibly fill the gate valves with hydraulic cement prior to use.
If he throws a chunk of candle in there it'll be thermostatic!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Got a question. What would the consequences be if I roughed in a shower without using a mixing valve? In other words, I ran a hot water line to a gate valve and a cold line to another, then fed both to a common line to a shower head.
You could run the pipes up your anus and control the flow with your butt muscles.............

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,596 Posts
Don’t listen to these d1cks, there just old crabby men who are pissy cuz they haven’t gotten laid lately and have to eat high fiber diets, just to $hit right.

What you propose will work just fine, you should pipe it in in 1/2” copper type L pipe(pex will work too, but copper is better).
You can use “shark bite” connections to make it easier if you don’t know how to “solder pressure pipe”.

Pipe the hot and cold together with a tee going up to the shower head, have a valve between the tee and the shower head, this will be your main “on/off”- or volume control.
Have a valve on the hot and cold before the tee, use these valves (“ball valves” work best) to control the temperature of the water. If the water is to hot- open the cold valve more or close the hot valve a bit.
And vica-versa.
Once you have the temperature that you like, leave these valves alone in said position.

When you’re ready to shower, open the single valve(between the tee and shower head) to the volume or pressure you want, let it run for a few mins to warm up and enjoy your shower.

This is a super simple set up, be it primitive, it will save a lot of money.

We do this in Canada, all the time.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Don’t listen to these d1cks, there just old crabby men who are pissy cuz they haven’t gotten laid lately and have to eat high fiber diets, just to $hit right.
Ya know man, they ain't supposed to be here!

And what's wrong with Grape Nuts????

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Logtec didn’t spoil it, he gave him a hot/cold crossover. It was a great reply
Well now he'll see your post, Macplumb was being sarcastic.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777
1 - 12 of 12 Posts