Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the newest and best custom shower pan? Its been a bit for me, but I use to set my adjustable shower drain, then use a mud base and give about 1/4" slope towards the drain, then use a rubber membrane over the curb and up 6" on the walls, cut the corners, fold and use glue to seal the joints.

Is this still the preferred method, or is there something better?

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard of DITRA, but never used it. Thought it was only for the walls. I will have to look into it

·
Building codes guy
40 Posts
Ditra's an isolation membrane, like you'd use to tile the basement slab. It helps keep the floor from cracking if the slab shifts a small amount. Also a good substitute for wonderboard on a floor.

For showers, I'm a firm believer in Schluter's Kerdi product. It is stupid-simple to install, and makes for an absolutely bulletproof installation. Do a normal sloped mud pan with no membrane and the kerdi goes on right over it. It also goes on the walls and the curb.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Schluter System.
I did a custom shower for my brother about 2 years ago and his tile guys turned me onto Schluter . They claim you can spray the untiled walls {membrane only} with a fire hose and they wont leak. I couldnt get the fire dept to test that theory but i was very impressed with the system as a whole

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the newest and best custom shower pan? Its been a bit for me, but I use to set my adjustable shower drain, then use a mud base and give about 1/4" slope towards the drain, then use a rubber membrane over the curb and up 6" on the walls, cut the corners, fold and use glue to seal the joints.

Is this still the preferred method, or is there something better?
look into tile-ready pre-made pans if your shower is a somewhat standard size

·
Registered
3,351 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
How does the mortar seal the kerdi seams? I would think that the water could seep thru the mortar on the seems......

I've never worked with kerdi, so I don't know.

Kerdi fleece membrane repels water. when you thinset the membrane together to an other membrane it becomes water proof.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Why won't the water seep between the two layers through the thinset?

Kerdi fleece membrane repels water. when you thinset the membrane together to an other membrane it becomes water proof.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts