Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace old cartridge due to leak at shower head. Having problems taking off the shower knob. I thought the face plate should come off so the screws will be exposed but having trouble taking that off. Anyone has experience with this kind of shower knob?
Bottle Automotive lighting Material property Liquid Wood

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I am trying to replace old cartridge due to leak at shower head. Having problems taking off the shower knob. I thought the face plate should come off so the screws will be exposed but having trouble taking that off. Anyone has experience with this kind of shower knob? View attachment 133163

Yes, take a chipping hammer and chip the handle away the stem. Easy peasy.

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
I’ve seen that faucet before. Non serviceable. Cheap “gotcha“ garbage. Cut the fiberglass, install a new rough in valve and have your tile guy install some rock board and tile than trim it out.

If your master hasn’t taught you this he’s failing you! This is first year apprentice stuff. My first suggestion is find a new shop to work for. As someone representing the plumbing trade you need to do better. You can’t do better without the right education. I’m not a fan of union shops, but they are heavy on book work education. You might want to look into your local union. Might have to start all over at the beginning as a helper, but you’ll be much better off than where you are now. Good luck with your path in this rewarding trade!

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,415 Posts
These guys are just being silly geese, we like to josh around here sometimes..
you don’t need a Jack hammer to get the handle off and remove the cartridge.

find a local “plumbing supplier” (not a big box store), Show them the picture(you posted here) and let them know this is “Moen shower control”(hot or cold- you fill in the blank) they might or might not know, but it’s a little know fact- that this shower set was manufactured by Moen under the “Sloan” name, due to the fact it was two tone chrome/gold long story blah blah..
oddly enough you’ll need a moen #1225B tool to remove the handle to expose the cartridge, and the repair kit is: Sloan 3301041 A-41-A.

The guys here usually give me a hard time for giving out free advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,482 Posts
These guys are just being silly geese, we like to josh around here sometimes..
you don’t need a Jack hammer to get the handle off and remove the cartridge.

find a local “plumbing supplier” (not a big box store), Show them the picture(you posted here) and let them know this is “Moen shower control”(hot or cold- you fill in the blank) they might or might not know, but it’s a little know fact- that this shower set was manufactured by Moen under the “Sloan” name, due to the fact it was two tone chrome/gold long story blah blah..
oddly enough you’ll need a moen #1225B tool to remove the handle to expose the cartridge, and the repair kit is: Sloan 3301041 A-41-A.

The guys here usually give me a hard time for giving out free advice.
Silly geese, or silly gooses? Either way, this poster hasn’t played by the rules. If he doesn’t abide by tomorrow when I get home from my jobs, I’ll bring the hammer in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.