Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some advice on how to install a shower with the drain this close? Would I cut into the wall and have the shower partially inside the wall frame?

·
Super Moderator
8,762 Posts
Yes the shower will extend into the wall, just notch the wall with a sharpened axe. Once installed put some plaster of paris to make it smooth.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Can I get some advice on how to install a shower with the drain this close? Would I cut into the wall and have the shower partially inside the wall frame

Just use one of these, they're meant for slab roughins, sioux chief makes them. Cut the pipe flush, put down your shower membrane, cut the hole in the membrane folding it over the edge of the pipe and glue this flange in, then tile over it and screw your drain grate on top. Eazy peazy. The drain grates only come in chrome but everyone likes chrome ;)

You might want a 4" tile holesaw for cutting a paerfect circle in your tile, otherwise you have to trace a circle and carefully cut each individual tile piece.

·
Registered
Service Plumber
218 Posts
The easiest way to get that particular shower rough-in is to cut the existing riser above the floor with just enough room to install a 90 degree vent ell ( a vent ell is acceptable in this location since you are going from horizontal to vertical ) once installed just slide your shower base in from the end and all the water will just drain from the side instead of the bottom.
Best of luck to you and please keep us posted as to how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts