Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I had to drill out the stainless steel screws and then I find THIS!! Drilled and tapped for "new" screws.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
why didnt you use a PVC test T???

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
H
Brine tank with ~200# of salt still inside.

View attachment 128037 View attachment 128038
Plastic flange had the outer portion ripped off so I added a new bolt flange and filled in the gaps with hydraulic cement. It was slab of course, in a pool house bathroom. Used a horned gasket.

View attachment 128041
Perfect,nice fix

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
why didnt you use a PVC test T???
Because I thought this would match the decor better.

Why on earth do you think I didn't? I didn't have a female tee on the van and I was miles from anywhere. The sewage was coming up from a drain in the commercial kitchen of this school an hour before lunch. I needed to clear it NOW. I was in a janitors closet off the back of the kitchen.

The school employs a master plumber, but he is quite old and doesn't do drain snaking or the more labor intensive projects. He is busy most of the time anyway with other small stuff. I left it up to him to add a tee later. I didn't bother replacing it with a straight piece of pipe because the dorms upstairs were active and I wasn't going to try and notify 100 teenagers to not use the bathrooms for my convenience. That pic is from a couple years ago, it either hasn't clogged or they changed it.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I was swapping out a washing machine and shutoff today and when I put the water back on and found 3 more pinholes. We've been here a couple times over the years because of her acidic water and she finally wanted a quote on a neutralizer a month ago when one of our guys replaced some more stuff. Two of the pinholes were on either side of an old globe valve to the left of this new PP tee our guy put in. I soldered my coupling that close to the tee ;) Wet rag.

I didn't bother putting another valve in because it just wasn't necessary. The center of my coupling is where one pinhole was. With the pipe in such bad shaped I didn't want to put another PP fitting on and make that new tee leak. You can see the 90 from two years ago is already green. The other pinhole was a 1/4" from that 45 so I took the old nipple out.

The old symmons washer valve was all green and screwed to a piece of mdf but was just hanging there, never screwed to the wall. I put in a watts, hopefully the balls will hold up better than o-rings.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I also got a nice package today, 5lbs of solder ;) 64$ including shipping off ebay ;)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I was swapping out a washing machine and shutoff today and when I put the water back on and found 3 more pinholes. We've been here a couple times over the years because of her acidic water and she finally wanted a quote on a neutralizer a month ago when one of our guys replaced some more stuff. Two of the pinholes were on either side of an old globe valve to the left of this new PP tee our guy put in. I soldered my coupling that close to the tee ;) Wet rag.

I didn't bother putting another valve in because it just wasn't necessary. The center of my coupling is where one pinhole was. With the pipe in such bad shaped I didn't want to put another PP fitting on and make that new tee leak. You can see the 90 from two years ago is already green. The other pinhole was a 1/4" from that 45 so I took the old nipple out.

The old symmons washer valve was all green and screwed to a piece of mdf but was just hanging there, never screwed to the wall. I put in a watts, hopefully the balls will hold up better than o-rings.

View attachment 128535 View attachment 128536 View attachment 128537
Could electrolysis be causing any of these issues???just a thought

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Could electrolysis be causing any of these issues???just a thought
It ain't, we've examined that and tested the water, it's acidic.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Any of the neighbors having same issues???well water or city water??you would think if city water the neighbors would have same issues if acidic,and maybe they do???
It's well water and the closest neighbor is like a half mile.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
it says LEAD solder..you can only use that on heat lines...

And if you knew your WB solder you'd know it's actually lead free.

That would explain why the seller sold it to me so cheap, they didn't know what they had ;) It's essentially the same as silvabrite 100, just 0.4%silver instead of silvabrite's 0.5%.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
And if you knew your WB solder you'd know it's actually lead free.

That would explain why the seller sold it to me so cheap, they didn't know what they had ;) It's essentially the same as silvabrite 100, just 0.4%silver instead of silvabrite's 0.5%.

View attachment 128541
lots of people have no idea what they are selling on ebay, they buy up lots of stuff and just list it on ebay to sell...way cheaper than its worth..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had to drill out the stainless steel screws and then I find THIS!! Drilled and tapped for "new" screws.

View attachment 128042 View attachment 128043
Do you know what that bolt in the center is for? I usually find them in a grocery store chain that we service. I'm guessing, but I think the bolt is to support the brass clean out cover. Especially when there is a chance of heavy traffic - forklifts, pallete jacks.......

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Do you know what that bolt in the center is for? I usually find them in a grocery store chain that we service. I'm guessing, but I think the bolt is to support the brass clean out cover. Especially when there is a chance of heavy traffic - forklifts, pallete jacks.......
That's what it's for.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I changed a hosebibb and shut off the other day.

I noticed the guy who put the faucet in cut the delta supply lines!!!! He even used white teflon tape to make it more betterer.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Every week. Maybe every other day. I bought a huge roll of solder worth over 550$ for 50$ when I started out, I'm about half way through.
How big was it? Where did you get it? Ive never seen bigger than ~2lbs roll.

221 - 240 of 258 Posts