Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a little slow but people can’t have water coming through the ceiling. This galvanized pipe sprung a leak so I opened the ceiling where the water was coming out. It turns out the leak was 6’ away. I tried cutting the bad section out to replace it but the threads broke in the tee when I tried to unthread it. I had to open another hole in the shower to re-do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Here’s the repair, post some of yours.

Look at all the nice lipstick on that pig! lolz. When was that house built? 60's? Some of these other guys can't even fathom a house piped in all galv. I see it around me all the time. It's "FUN"! You don't have a tool to remove the broken off threads? I mean, I know you'd rather not crank weird on that galv and make something leak further down but it's worth a shot.

I have a whole bag of special tools like internal wrenches, straight and spiral extractors, couple of pipe taps. I call it my "Oh Schit Bag". Because you always need it when you say Oh Schit!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Looks like they are ready for a full Repipe ! :biggrin:

Skoronesa; Looks like a good old schit bag
when I had my company I had them all the way up to 21/2"
Extractors and Taps

I guess everything is bigger in texas! My tap set only goes to 1-1/2".

Attachments

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Mine was in L.A. CA. where I had a shop, I did a lot of Commercial
water heater and boiler storage tank work, never knew when you might need
to extract a bad nipple and retap, also were great for clean outs to
clean up the threads :biggrin:

I would love a 3-1/2" tap. Sometimes I cut a little too deep when getting out brass plugs. Usually packing some strips of teflon tap in with a thin screwdriver works. Also a good reason not to make your cuts in the bottom hemisphere of the plug.

·
4th year apprentice
654 Posts
I hate chasing those running leaks. I had one young guy with his first house who was so horrified about the thought of cutting open the ceiling, possibly in multiple locations, that he was paralized with fear and wouldn't let me do it. He was convinced that there was some magic tool some kind of xray or something that I wasn't familiar with that the next guy he called would have and pinpoint the leak with the wave of a wand.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I had a leak in a new house I did, water coming through the ceiling, but I knew NO pipes were in the area, so I open the ceiling and lots of water coming down..it ended up coming from a heat line 25ft away, some fking carpenter nicked the edge of the pipe with a sawsall and the slit was like a garden hose sprayer and it sprayed across the attic and down through the ceiling...
some water leaks are a PITA to trace..

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Had that happen on a new house, and I knew there was no plumbing above the tub/shower. Come to find out it was the roof leaking and running down the rafters and down the joists to above where the tub was. Kept telling the gc that there is nothing above the tub that could leak, not even the possibility of it being the vent through the roof penetration, because we tied it in to the toilet vent in the attic over 10' away, and even the vent pipe from the tub dwv didn't cross over the tub.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I hate chasing those running leaks. I had one young guy with his first house who was so horrified about the thought of cutting open the ceiling, possibly in multiple locations, that he was paralized with fear and wouldn't let me do it. He was convinced that there was some magic tool some kind of xray or something that I wasn't familiar with that the next guy he called would have and pinpoint the leak with the wave of a wand.
I get all the time from people who think you can magically replace a tub/shower faucet without cutting the wall. I bet they call another plumber who will do that because I never hear from them again. :vs_worry:

I'm thinking I'm not going to say anything until I'm in their house? or do you guys say on the phone it requires a hole in the wall?

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I get all the time from people who think you can magically replace a tub/shower faucet without cutting the wall. I bet they call another plumber who will do that because I never hear from them again. :vs_worry:

I'm thinking I'm not going to say anything until I'm in their house? or do you guys say on the phone it requires a hole in the wall?

I tell everyone unless I know the house.." I have to come take a look as every house is different".....if they dont like that answer its the only one they get on the phone...that also gives a push for me to get into the house and then give the sales pitch if its something I want todo...
the most important thing is getting in the house..then its up to your salesmanship skills to close the deal..

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
I tell everyone unless I know the house.." I have to come take a look as every house is different".....if they dont like that answer its the only one they get on the phone...that also gives a push for me to get into the house and then give the sales pitch if its something I want todo...
the most important thing is getting in the house..then its up to your salesmanship skills to close the deal..

Did you get those a lot? How the heck do you replace a tub/shower faucet without cutting the wall???

I'm not sure I want to try that for this particular type of job, they'll say I could of mentioned it on the phone and decline the job and will refuse to pay the service call.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Did you get those a lot? How the heck do you replace a tub/shower faucet without cutting the wall???

I'm not sure I want to try that for this particular type of job, they'll say I could of mentioned it on the phone and decline the job and will refuse to pay the service call.
many older houses had the plumbing wall back to a closet with a removable panel behind the tub or shower, or opening a wall in a closet doesnt disturb the tile..and many need the tile opened..

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
many older houses had the plumbing wall back to a closet with a removable panel behind the tub or shower, or opening a wall in a closet doesnt disturb the tile..and many need the tile opened..
Yeah but all of them who changed their mind or called someone else didn't want a hole cut in the drywall and then they thought I would be doing that for 30$(The price is my guess).

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've had to do it once, and it wasn't very much fun or very fast at all. I even did it without enlarging the original hole.

The alternative was pulling a piece of granite off the other side of the wall. These people had granite everywhere even the shower walls were solid granite.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I've had to do it once, and it wasn't very much fun or very fast at all. I even did it without enlarging the original hole.

The alternative was pulling a piece of granite off the other side of the wall. These people had granite everywhere even the shower walls were solid granite.

I have changed dropped eared elbows for shower arms through the escutcheon hole.

But the idea of changing a TUB FAUCET body/bodies without cutting the wall is pure fiction. He's NOT TALKING ABOUT A SHOWER VALVE.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
If you change out a MOEN you can get a stainless steel repair plate to
go around it, you can also get what are called SMITTY repair plates
for both single handle valves, and two, or three handles :biggrin:

I have used these many times over the years ! :biggrin:
Problem with them is that the tub spout and valve are 98% always too close together and that plate overlaps the spout.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts