Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I keep some in the truck for a "just in case" moment. but i have this thing about somebody looking at my work and going oh he used shark bites.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
There code approved here, so why not.

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I used 6 today for a Walmart remodle job where we could only shut the water down for 10 min. No wat we could have drained the system enough to solder anything.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
It's not a matter of being a real plumber or a handyman. The question is are they code approved in your state? Here in Minnesota they are not. If it's not listed in the code book as an approved material or fitting it's illegal. Also for example, compression fittings are also illegal here.

·
Dream Team Founder
315 Posts
me and the original poster here installed a Zoller water powered back up sump pump last week ,i think its one of their newest models , its all pre assembled really sweet , easy to install, and the weird thing is that it comes with a brass male port for the water supply connection(which i liked much better than the old plastic female port) and a female sharkbite adapter, which we threw away and used a copper female adapter instead. I agree with j , shark bites are stupid.. your never gonna catch the dream team installing one!

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I use em on grey poly thats about it. You gotta remember, they already have ****ty pipe, so why not put it back together with a half ass fitting. And fellows, we gotta sell the repipes, I mean ***** the boss wants a new boat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hell yah bro. i can see like that guy how he could only have the water off for ten minutes. but i would never install one permantely. sure they sell them and they might be code approved but why not just use compression. and zoeller should be shot for that crap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I HEAR YOu

see iam with you. maybe a just in case. a tight in the wall fix or something but you right, everytime i see a sharkbite on a job i say what a hack lazy ass.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Shark Bites seal the same way as pro press via an o-ring, so do you think the same way towards pro press?

Reactions: Redwood

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
me and the original poster here installed a Zoller water powered back up sump pump last week ,i think its one of their newest models , its all pre assembled really sweet , easy to install, and the weird thing is that it comes with a brass male port for the water supply connection(which i liked much better than the old plastic female port) and a female sharkbite adapter, which we threw away and used a copper female adapter instead. I agree with j , shark bites are stupid.. your never gonna catch the dream team installing one!
You have no problem installing a pump system that has the potential of poisoning a municipal water supply, yet you balk at using a sharkbite fitting?

I fail to see the logic involved in this thought process.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
They still seal with an o-ring.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
You have no problem installing a pump system that has the potential of poisoning a municipal water supply, yet you balk at using a sharkbite fitting?

I fail to see the logic involved in this thought process.
I talked to the inspector about those pumps, he said we could use them as long as the proper backflow device was installed along with it otherwise he would fail it. I think I'll stick with my regular sump pumps anyway.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
They still seal with an o-ring.
Ok you got me there but that's like saying me and the cat are the same cause we both have eyeballs!:thumbup: meow
Man, I'm in a rotten mood tonight. Just got real busy with bids this week and trying to keep up with the service calls! Where's Dave!!!!!!!!:blink:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
When its 5 degrees under the house and you're cutting out broken pipe, you use sharkbites.
That's when I used one, under a trailer but you can add a 3 in front of that 5 and then say below zero.:eek:

Hey Ron, I was actually thinking about buying the new Ridgid propress kit with jaws also for the Pureflow pex, they just came out with a new one, lot's of improvements, lighter, better batteries etc. It's the RP 210-B, guess what that baby costs? OUCH!!!!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts