Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Should I try to go out on my own with my own customers or work for another company

• Work for Another company

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Get my own customers and work myself

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone i grew up in a family business since I was little, went full time after highschool went to trade school. I now have my master license, since I’m older now and have my own family I need to make more money to support myself but don’t have enough of my own customers to make enough by just still working with my family if y’all were in my shoes would you go work for another company, or try to get ur own customers, even tho it seems everyone you know what’s something done for nothing. I don’t want my family to think I left them hanging after they have taught me all I know, all answers will greatly be appreciated thank you

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,246 Posts
It more or less comes down to what you want to do:

1- lining someone else’s pockets with $, while a slave to them- working when your told to, doing whatever work/job they give you and for whatever.
you can make good money doing this.
You don’t have the work of running the business, marketing, paperwork, etc.

2- making a lot more $, pick and choosing the jobs/work you want to do, working the hours you want, taking time off when you want, BUT having a lot more responsibility; paperwork, fees, overhead, lic’ing, insurance, etc. which takes extra time so you’re putting in more hours.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
293 Posts
What kind of family business are we talking about here? Your grandfather and/or your father, or your 2nd cousin Bobby? Is there going to be an opportunity for you to take over and build on what’s already there or does Bobby have kids of his own to take over and you’re always going to be just another plumber to him? I think a good honest answer to those questions will help lead you toward the right path.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of family business are we talking about here? Your grandfather and/or your father, or your 2nd cousin Bobby? Is there going to be an opportunity for you to take over and build on what’s already there or does Bobby have kids of his own to take over and you’re always going to be just another plumber to him? I think a good honest answer to those questions will help lead you toward the right path.
Naw Dad and grandfather business a lot comes with it either way they have there own customers and there customers may not think the younger generation is going to be as good type of thing but I definitely understand that just need more of my own customers to really support myself like I want to right now

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Naw Dad and grandfather business a lot comes with it either way they have there own customers and there customers may not think the younger generation is going to be as good type of thing but I definitely understand that just need more of my own customers to really support myself like I want to right now
Well, if you guys have your own customers within the company, I’d stick with them and work on building up your own base. It’s a bit unorthodox, but if they are covering your liability, I’d say ride along. If you’re good and you’re customers are willing to recommend you to their friends and family, your base will grow. A friend of mine uses google and Craigslist and has been very good for his business. That said, if you advertise on Craigslist expect a bunch of calls from people with no money or penny pinchers that want the work done for cheap.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,619 Posts
If your dad and grandfather have a profitable running plumbing business, what is their game plan some day????
So Are they willing to sell it to you or pass it on to you "some day" or they just making vague promises
that they never plan on keeping while you work your ass of for them???

It might be wise to clear the air and ask some questions soon....

I t all depends on your age and their age too.... "someday" grandpa is probably gonna take a bad fall or is gonna die and then things are gonna get shook up real good at that time....
"Someday soon" you might want to sit down with them and ask them what their
game plan is and are they planning on selling it to you or passing it on to you..??

you need to find out if they are just stringing you along because "some day" they might just walk in
with a stranger and tell you that this guy bought the business out from under you
and now he is your boss... cause you never seemed to be interested in running the place 👿 👿

I am watching this situation unfold here in our little town.... 4 brothers working for dad for decades
and he goes and sells the business to an outsider.. so how do you think this story is gonna pan out???

You can always go work somewhere else and get some experience with other companies but dont burn
your bridges ----

clear the air soon, and get everything written down on paper and signed in blood by dad and grandpa.......
and I really do mean . in blood with a lawyer present.....and notarized too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It more or less comes down to what you want to do:

1- lining someone else’s pockets with $, while a slave to them- working when your told to, doing whatever work/job they give you and for whatever.
you can make good money doing this.
You don’t have the work of running the business, marketing, paperwork, etc.

2- making a lot more $, pick and choosing the jobs/work you want to do, working the hours you want, taking time off when you want, BUT having a lot more responsibility; paperwork, fees, overhead, lic’ing, insurance, etc. which takes extra time so you’re putting in more hours.
Appreciate the response being out on your Own definitely comes with a lot more responsibility and definitely don’t take off when you want or set your own hours when running ur own business got to be ready for whenever they call you or you’ll miss out or be replaced. The problem is it seems people are just going for the bigger company’s, and a lot of jobs are offering big sign on bonus’s right now do to shortage of plumbers. I guess my next step i need to try out google ads and not try to depend on people you know or Facebook friends to get you work, since they will not want to pay you your worth

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
1,246 Posts
Appreciate the response being out on your Own definitely comes with a lot more responsibility and definitely don’t take off when you want or set your own hours when running ur own business got to be ready for whenever they call you or you’ll miss out or be replaced. The problem is it seems people are just going for the bigger company’s, and a lot of jobs are offering big sign on bonus’s right now do to shortage of plumbers. I guess my next step i need to try out google ads and not try to depend on people you know or Facebook friends to get you work, since they will not want to pay you your worth
targeting the right type clients is key.
I mostly target and do work for middle to mid-upper class households. These ppl tend to understand and appreciate a days hard work, and don’t mind paying for it. they understand parts/materials and time doesnt just magically appear. They tend to be fine with most parts/materials that are easily available.

Lower income ppl don’t always have the $ to pay you or to spend on decent materials, and working condition can be less then umm pleasant.

Higher income ppl tend to be really picky and want only the best quality and they want it NOW, like right now. They can be difficult to work for. Also you have to do a lot of prep for small jobs; covering floors/walls, etc. one tiny scratch or speck of dust is bad. I once opened a clients door to leave and a fly flew in her home, she gave me sheit saying if I had have left a minute earlier that fly wouldn’t have come it.

·
7,619 Posts
So what is going on?? Are you involved in a business with your family or are all 3 of you just doing your own thing
and not depending on each other ?/ I read that your grand father has his clients, and your dad does too...
So, Is the money all divided or is it all going into one account at the end of the day?

Are you like 3 alpha males all with your own pissing grounds but working together
and no one wants to admit or make changes to the business?? Trust me, changes will
eventually happen one way or another

I am going to pm you for fun...

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

·
7,619 Posts
I m just asking for some clarification,
just trying to get some idea what exactly
is going on with the 3 of them.... jeeeezzzzeee

·
7,619 Posts
you must understand the snowflake response some give here...weak thin skinned offended by everything...
I guess you could be right, but how can he be a plumber and get a masters lisc if he has not grown
a thicker skin then the average person????

Thinking back, when I was 31 I was fairly tender at that time
and more worried about my looks, my ride and chasing females....

·
Super Moderator
8,762 Posts
I feel like all the others who come here asking for a free video showing a one step 30 second clip on how to get rich quick. If we can't supply that within 30 minutes of their post they never come back.

·
Registered
Master Plumber
293 Posts
Dad and grandpa spent two lifetimes building a successful business and are probably reluctant to pass it off to a kid who might piss the whole thing away because he hasn’t proven himself. Also probably had daddy holding his hand and signing him up for all his license classes and exam. I’d say it would do him some good to go work for another company and experience the real world on his own for a bit then maybe go back to take over the family business or go out on his own.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts