Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last call of the evening, outside hose faucet replacement. Arrowhead (brand name) and couldn't get the vaccum breaker off the faucet (glued) with no way to remove it as the entire valve (not screwed into the wall) was twisting. Just broke one off just last week trying to remove what somebody else glued as well.

I see this more and more where people don't want the connection to loosen up so they glue it.??????

I get to the house, Woodford 25 10" in hand, go inside and see that CPVC is connected to the hose bibb by a threaded connection. If I had an 8" Woodford I might of been able to do a reconnect without cutting the piping to rework the connection.

But, mine was 10". Awe shucks. See what happens when you have 10" and it only requires 8? Had this problem my entire life. :)

So, I reach for the one fitting on the truck that has made every jackleg a plumber for a minute, a job, a day by connecting dissimilar materials by use of a sharkbite.

Rarely keep these on the truck but finding this "one" was the saving grace.

The reason this is a topic of discussion is the picture I didn't take, so I'll describe it:

End of the hose bibb lined up perfect for a copper 1/2" street 90 to turn down and reconnect to the CPVC.

The length of that pipe? less than 2.5" :blink:

I went and soldered the very short piece of copper to the street 90, cooled it down, assembled that piece and connected the sharkbite to both the copper and CPVC.

Now, there was less than a 1/4" visible at the bottom next to the first fitting of CPVC, maybe 3/4" of an inch above before the soldered street 90.

Put the street end in the hose bibb, wrapped the sharkbite with a wet paper towel and had a second one ready to put on it the second I turned the torch off.

Heated the hose bibb brass end more than the street 90, got it to take solder and shut off the torch, started slowly moving that wet paper towel towards the 90 keeping that sharkbite as cool as possible knowing an O-ring inside of it could be compromised.

I should of taken a picture, but any plumber that was to see how that connection was put together in such close confines in the joist space with literally no room for mistakes, someone would be scratching their head in disbelief trying to figure out how to either

1. Recreate that connection in regards to replacement again

or

2. How to take it apart without having to cut the pipe to do so, because you cannot release the sharkbite from two fixed position pipes, and one is glued, one is soldered.

MOST plumbers would of told the customer they was going to have to open up the drywall, trace that water line further down to get either a swing joint scenario or make a swing joint to get the hose bibb reconnected.

Another day, another dollar, another job where you have to accept the situation and figure out how to beat it without creating extra work. That's what I'm known for constantly in this business...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can't decide weather you post just to read your own thoughts or if you feel you are enriching this forum with your peculiar form of plumbing. Not having a dig i just struggle to understand if you are discussing anything i.e forum talk or bragging?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What? No poll? :cry:

Not tonight, I have a headache. :laughing:

I can't decide weather you post just to read your own thoughts or if you feel you are enriching this forum with your peculiar form of plumbing. Not having a dig i just struggle to understand if you are discussing anything i.e forum talk or bragging?

Enriching like flour in bread... you hit it right on the gapeista!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
DUNBAR PLUMBING said:
Last call of the evening, outside hose faucet replacement. Arrowhead (brand name) and couldn't get the vaccum breaker off the faucet (glued) with no way to remove it as the entire valve (not screwed into the wall) was twisting. Just broke one off just last week trying to remove what somebody else glued as well.

I see this more and more where people don't want the connection to loosen up so they glue it.??????

I get to the house, Woodford 25 10" in hand, go inside and see that CPVC is connected to the hose bibb by a threaded connection. If I had an 8" Woodford I might of been able to do a reconnect without cutting the piping to rework the connection.

But, mine was 10". Awe shucks. See what happens when you have 10" and it only requires 8? Had this problem my entire life. :)

So, I reach for the one fitting on the truck that has made every jackleg a plumber for a minute, a job, a day by connecting dissimilar materials by use of a sharkbite.

Rarely keep these on the truck but finding this "one" was the saving grace.

The reason this is a topic of discussion is the picture I didn't take, so I'll describe it:

End of the hose bibb lined up perfect for a copper 1/2" street 90 to turn down and reconnect to the CPVC.

The length of that pipe? less than 2.5" :blink:

I went and soldered the very short piece of copper to the street 90, cooled it down, assembled that piece and connected the sharkbite to both the copper and CPVC.

Now, there was less than a 1/4" visible at the bottom next to the first fitting of CPVC, maybe 3/4" of an inch above before the soldered street 90.

Put the street end in the hose bibb, wrapped the sharkbite with a wet paper towel and had a second one ready to put on it the second I turned the torch off.

Heated the hose bibb brass end more than the street 90, got it to take solder and shut off the torch, started slowly moving that wet paper towel towards the 90 keeping that sharkbite as cool as possible knowing an O-ring inside of it could be compromised.

I should of taken a picture, but any plumber that was to see how that connection was put together in such close confines in the joist space with literally no room for mistakes, someone would be scratching their head in disbelief trying to figure out how to either

1. Recreate that connection in regards to replacement again

or

2. How to take it apart without having to cut the pipe to do so, because you cannot release the sharkbite from two fixed position pipes, and one is glued, one is soldered.

MOST plumbers would of told the customer they was going to have to open up the drywall, trace that water line further down to get either a swing joint scenario or make a swing joint to get the hose bibb reconnected.

Another day, another dollar, another job where you have to accept the situation and figure out how to beat it without creating extra work. That's what I'm known for constantly in this business...
The vacuum breaker on outlet is sealed with some red glue/epoxy from the manufacture. The plastic one on top, just chip out if its broken

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't decide weather you post just to read your own thoughts or if you feel you are enriching this forum with your peculiar form of plumbing. Not having a dig i just struggle to understand if you are discussing anything i.e forum talk or bragging?[/QUOTE]

He comes off as a legend in his own mind. Talking about servicing/troubleshooting an outside faucet? Could it get any simpler? I hope he doesn't pat himself on the back too hard, might damage his false ego.

·
Super Moderator
12,505 Posts
If you would of had an 8" on your truck, like you should, you would of had time, to go upstairs & sell the MRS, an Evolution disposal.:yes:

Remember my favorite line. Cheaper to have 10 too many, than 1 short.:rolleyes:

True. If I have to run to a supply house to get a part that I need just (1) of, I'll get at least (3).

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
I think the situation in the OP is kinda ridiculous, a 8'' frost free is a pretty common item IMO, and should be stocked on the truck. I would never trust a sharkbite in this situation.

Better hope it don't leak.

sent from the jobsite porta-potty

Reactions: Don The Plumber

·
Banned
276 Posts
Dunbar:The word "SharkBite" itself should be banned from this forum. There is NO reason what so ever to EVER use one of those damn things! EVER!

My blood pressure rises, face gets red and temper flares at the mere site or mention of a ****!ng SharkBite!!

Any plumber on this forum who says they "had to" use a SharkBite (This is not directed at just Dunbar) should be kicked off and banned for life from PZ.

Now please excuse me why I jump off of here and go lose my damn mind.:furious:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I honestly don't. Know the fittind you talkin about we dont have frost free nothing here to darn hot here nothing freezes here

·
Registered
571 Posts
Shark Bite caps are the only type of shark bite fitting I have used and like Tom said, they work well for certain applications like capping hot and cold water lines on a remodel or for tub spouts. The fact that they can be reused makes them well worth it. Some products have made it so that any dope can think they can do plumbing but they do make sense for us to use in certain situations.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We use shark bite fittings here mostly for polybutylene repairs. After 20 years or so the polybutylene starts to become brittle. We don't like to use crimp fittings on the old pipe because it puts too much pressure on the pipe and cracks it all over again.
Shark bite fittings are the best fitting to use for this type of repair "in my opinion". It creates a good seal without putting a lot of pressure on the pipe.

I might even start using these flexible water heater connectors! :thumbup: [joke]

·
Banned
276 Posts
Shark Bite caps are the only type of shark bite fitting I have used and like Tom said, they work well for certain applications like capping hot and cold water lines on a remodel or for tub spouts. The fact that they can be reused makes them well worth it. Some products have made it so that any dope can think they can do plumbing but they do make sense for us to use in certain situations.
Agreed my friend. This would be a rare exception. Bright side is when it is over, the SharkBite product (cap or not) is not part of the plumbing system.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.