Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all of the talk against shark bite fittings I have wondered why the same discussions have not been held about propress fittings. Both have an o ring seal.

I have seen those criticise crimp type pex installation as well yet propress is a crimp fitting. Pro press is almost the ultimate evil if you think about it. it holds the same seal as sharkbite and it crimps.

I have seen display of a manifold that turbulence has been discussed. When you crimp propress it changes the shape of the passage does it cause turbulence as well?

We use propress exclusively for repairs I am doing at a hospital, particulary freeze and repair. At the same time I keep a tec-tite(sharkbite) rig set up and ready to go on in the event of a problem. I personally am not against either of them. I think they are tools in our trade have a proper use.

Just curious, I thought it could stir up an interesting debate.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Twice in the last month I have had architect/engineer reject propress due to possible turbulence and or reliance on an o-ring seal. If you look at a 2" that has been pressed , they are pretty gnarfed up looking. The other sizes aren't too awful bad. Still not pretty.

I think more and more it will be rejected. We are thinning out our inventory of pro-press fittings.

I can't comment on pex as I have never installed it other than for hydronic heating.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Here in Fl, I think sharks are the best choice for repairs on old oxidized copper as press knocks the coating off the old copper. Torching usually causes instant pinholes if the copper is far gone.

If we are talking about new copper, I think propress is the way to go if your going to run copper in our area. Just don’t use it on solar loops. I don’t think they will hold up in those temps. If you have to run copper with a torch, use h20 soluble flux and flush well.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twice in the last month I have had architect/engineer reject propress due to possible turbulence and or reliance on an o-ring seal. If you look at a 2" that has been pressed , they are pretty gnarfed up looking. The other sizes aren't too awful bad. Still not pretty.

I think more and more it will be rejected. We are thinning out our inventory of pro-press fittings.

I can't comment on pex as I have never installed it other than for hydronic heating.
Would you still use at as a service and repair tool? In cases of a freeze and repair it really is a great thing to have. I hate hate hate soldering on a line that I just froze to hold the water back. probably just paranoia caused from too much exposure to pvc glue through out the years.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I'm a little dissapointed here.
Both duct tape and that plumbing leak paste they sell at HD have been unfairly omitted.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Would you still use at as a service and repair tool? In cases of a freeze and repair it really is a great thing to have. I hate hate hate soldering on a line that I just froze to hold the water back. probably just paranoia caused from too much exposure to pvc glue through out the years.
There in lies the difference between you and the homeowner, you know from experience how to solder under those circumstances, where the homeowner fought the temptation to listen to the home depot guy and get a Sharkbite and decided to pay you to do it right.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There in lies the difference between you and the homeowner, you know from experience how to solder under those circumstances, where the homeowner fought the temptation to listen to the home depot guy and get a Sharkbite and decided to pay you to do it right.
true that.... but I have yet to turn down the temptation of propress when freezing and repairing. I admit it....my name is Bill and I am addicted to propress on freeze and repairs.

Slightly off topic ... I did see a homeowner once with a couple of perfect burn marks on his stomach from where he was sweating in his garage and reached up over his heater to unplug it after he took the access panel off to get to thermostat the home depot rep sold him. Evidently 220 volt, sweat, and skin do not get along to well. This man fell to the temptation. I arrived about one and half hours after he fought the beast. He looked like he saw Jesus a spiritual awakening if you will. The irony was this.... the electric panel was next to the heater.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a little dissapointed here.
Both duct tape and that plumbing leak paste they sell at HD have been unfairly omitted.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
They sell plumbing leak paste at Home depot? Thanks for the tip.... is it kept next to the plumbers candles for finding gas leaks?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I am aware of that..... Sometimes a dry sense of humor does not come out right on a post.
Actually, I appreciate it...beats the living crap outta posting fifty smiley faces in your post to make it obvious.

Kinda knocks the wind outta the joke.

Just please, don't forget the duct tape when ya pick up the gooey stuff and candles..mmmmkay?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I appreciate it...beats the living crap outta posting fifty smiley faces in your post to make it obvious.

Kinda knocks the wind outta the joke.

Just please, don't forget the duct tape when ya pick up the gooey stuff and candles..mmmmkay?
;) gotcha. I forgot to ask you where to find it at Home Depot.

·
Registered
584 Posts

If we are talking about new copper, I think propress is the way to go if your going to run copper in our area. Just don’t use it on solar loops. I don’t think they will hold up in those temps. If you have to run copper with a torch, use h20 soluble flux and flush well.
You say you wouldn't solder on old lines because it creates pinholes. I've never seen or heard of such a situation but if the copper is that bad why not just tell the customer it's only a matter of time before that copper goes and sell a replacement? Are they just plain cheap? If so I guess it makes sense but I would sure get it in writing that I informed them the copper is going to fail in short order.

On new lines though why pro press instead of soldering?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
You say you wouldn't solder on old lines because it creates pinholes. I've never seen or heard of such a situation but if the copper is that bad why not just tell the customer it's only a matter of time before that copper goes and sell a replacement? Are they just plain cheap? If so I guess it makes sense but I would sure get it in writing that I informed them the copper is going to fail in short order.

Gawd, here we go again.....:blink:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I feel that flux encourages pin hole leaks(in my area). propress uses no flux. This applies to my area only. If the water in your area gets along good with copper then torch it with water soluble flux. Obviously, if you have chloramines you don't want to use anything with an edpm o-ring(sharkbites and propress) on a system that will not be repiped soon. The chlorine in combination with the flux will kill the copper way before the turbulence will in my area.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I do when I can. Half the time, yes.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I feel that flux encourages pin hole leaks(in my area). propress uses no flux. This applies to my area only. If the water in your area gets along good with copper then torch it with water soluble flux. Obviously, if you have chloramines you don't want to use anything with an edpm o-ring(sharkbites and propress) on a system that will not be repiped soon. The chlorine in combination with the flux will kill the copper way before the turbulence will in my area.

Pro-press EPDM o-rings are now chloramine impervious.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
It has been in the last few years. Makes me wonder about the ones installed in 2001. We are primarily victaulic and soldering copper now. There is something coming down the pike with PP. IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts