Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old topic but I was curious to know if shark bites are allowed to be inclosed in a wall in your jurisdiction.
I spoke with an inspector today who could not readily answer that without investigating further.
Comments?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yes allowed here, they take on the same seal as ProPress does.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Just one word of advice, first time I tried one it poped off. Even though in my 20 some years I only used them 2x, now I make a mark on the pipe to ensure it is fully seated.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I carry two of each size on the truck, couplings. I've used one in the last year for a very tight crawl and couldn't turn the water all the way off. Made for a quick easy repair under the house. I wouldn't use them for regular work or in walls even if they say it's ok, just wouldn't do it.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I carry two of each size on the truck, couplings. I've used one in the last year for a very tight crawl and couldn't turn the water all the way off. Made for a quick easy repair under the house. I wouldn't use them for regular work or in walls even if they say it's ok, just wouldn't do it.
Same here, mostly on mobile homes, and houses piped with poly. Other than that, if its copper, copper fittings are used ect.................

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
They aren't legal here, and there is talk that Chicago is also going to do away with allowing Pro Press, or make it code to have an expansion loop on every other floor that is the equivelent to 1/20th the height of the riser.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We mainly use couplings for transitioning CPVC to copper or pex. Its better than waiting for cure time on glue.. no customer wants to wait to turn the water back on! Yes there are a lot of homes here in CPVC.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I've only used one sharkbite in my career, and it's definately somewhere an inspector will never go, or see. In other words, if there's going to be an inspector, there won't be a sharkbite.

·
Plumber, Totally
86 Posts
One jurisdiction within Birmingham AL will allow sharkbites on Copper only, if they have a jumper wire (#6 copper/clamps) because of the non-metallic seal.
Total

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
I have 2 ball valves in my truck, but have been to scared to use them in the walls like i thought i would

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. My dilemma here is that in my own house I had to tear out shower and redo it. I wanted to add a second shower valve and it would be easier if I connected to the existing piping on that side of the shower which it poly. Did not know if a sharkbite would suffice or if I should just crimp the damned thing. Problem is, I don't do poly, have no crimping tools, or will I ever bring myself to using it at all.
I told you, I am from the old school. But am in for an easy cheap fix as long as it holds up. After all, it is my own house.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
The thing is they are not rated for poly...
When they are used with PEX a stiffener has to go inside the PEX.
The stiffener used on PEX won't work for Poly because the ID of the poly is bigger than the ID of the PEX.

Under a tin house on wheels I'd have no problem putting a sharkbite on poly... I've done it many times...

In my own house????:whistling2:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Go to lowes and buy the crimpers. Crimp in a poly by pex coupling and bring the tool back.

Well. My dilemma here is that in my own house I had to tear out shower and redo it. I wanted to add a second shower valve and it would be easier if I connected to the existing piping on that side of the shower which it poly. Did not know if a sharkbite would suffice or if I should just crimp the damned thing. Problem is, I don't do poly, have no crimping tools, or will I ever bring myself to using it at all.
I told you, I am from the old school. But am in for an easy cheap fix as long as it holds up. After all, it is my own house.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
They aren't legal here, and there is talk that Chicago is also going to do away with allowing Pro Press, or make it code to have an expansion loop on every other floor that is the equivelent to 1/20th the height of the riser.
I know some towns and cities do not allow them here in Illinois, but they are allowed by Illinois plumbing code. I have a letter from Springfield around here some where. The letter explains that the Sharkbites meet the NSF Standard 61.

I have only used them in situations where it was near to imposable to turn the water off to a building for more than 5 minutes. For example I had to install an RPZ at a factory to a parts washing machine. The water line serving this machine was piped overhead 28' up. So I shut down the building quickly cut the line and installed a shark bite coupling with a ball valve attached to a short piece of pipe. This way now I can return water to their building, only interrupted their operation for 3 minutes. It was this job where I called Springfield to see if they where allowed, and gave the letter to the local inspector.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Why not use ProPress?? much better than a sharkbite. its a mechanical joint and you will sleep better at night
Well if they where not allowed, that was my next option, and I would of passed the savings of having to by a pro press system on to the job. If I did a lot of work in places like that the Pro Press system would have been worth the investment. But for one single joint, not worth it unless I had to.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts