Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Not this guy but I know enough that if I was to get into it, I'd be visiting the clog squad and take their class before making the investment.

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
I don't think it's legal in my area because you reduce the pipe size and that mean it's not to code. If it's not to code you're buying them new pipe when they sue.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's roughly a 3mm reduction depending on the liner used. Around here it's not permitted for interior piping; but they will tell you its a case by case situation.

Im sure we will have more established code soon enough.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Just curious if anyone else here is doing any sewer lining?

A couple years back I used a sledgehammer to line a cracked 4" cast iron pipe about 13' long with 3" pvc from in the basement. Waste line and tank were under a pretty new, expensive deck. After the tree the rest of the waste lines were 3" in the basement. Only 1-1/2 baths.

A couple weeks ago I used a home made chain flail on a 3/8" rod to smooth a 5' piece of no-hub going through a foundation and then brushed abs glue on the inside. I replaced the no-hub tree with all pvc fittings at the same time. That last cast iron piece through the foundation is being replaced this spring. The line from the tank to the foundation was replaced a couple weeks ago.

No-hub cast iron is garbage, it rots quick(less than 20 years, sometimes faster), and it cracks easy. Also the 2-band connectors can pull off when the hangers come loose because the lazy cheap Ahole didn't use a back up nut.

I don't think either of these examples is what you mean though lolz :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
A couple years back I used a sledgehammer to line a cracked 4" cast iron pipe about 13' long with 3" pvc from in the basement. Waste line and tank were under a pretty new, expensive deck. After the tree the rest of the waste lines were 3" in the basement. Only 1-1/2 baths.

A couple weeks ago I used a home made chain flail on a 3/8" rod to smooth a 5' piece of no-hub going through a foundation and then brushed abs glue on the inside. I replaced the no-hub tree with all pvc fittings at the same time. That last cast iron piece through the foundation is being replaced this spring. The line from the tank to the foundation was replaced a couple weeks ago.

No-hub cast iron is garbage, it rots quick(less than 20 years, sometimes faster), and it cracks easy. Also the 2-band connectors can pull off when the hangers come loose because the lazy cheap Ahole didn't use a back up nut.

I don't think either of these examples is what you mean though lolz :biggrin:

I gota have some of what your smoking..................:w00t::w00t::w00t:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I gota have some of what your smoking..................:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Say what you want, by sleeving that line under the deck I saved them a ton of money. The top of the tank was 8' deep!!!! :surprise:

And the second one was a stop gap. She has tons of money and "Just wants to be able to flush her phucking toilet without worrying it will overflow in the basement.". I can't blame her. After the third time in two months your basement floods with sewage you get nervous about going poo.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Say what you want, by sleeving that line under the deck I saved them a ton of money. The top of the tank was 8' deep!!!! :surprise:

And the second one was a stop gap. She has tons of money and "Just wants to be able to flush her phucking toilet without worrying it will overflow in the basement.". I can't blame her. After the third time in two months your basement floods with sewage you get nervous about going poo.

this..............
I don't think either of these examples is what you mean though lolz

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Had to do that before on a complete dump of an add on where there was no crawl access below, and the add on was above the sewer line. Crawled under the main house, cut it off, cut off the connection outside, and slammed a piece of 3" pipe through it. It was only a 1 bath.

They would have had to completely gut the part of the house above the sewer line otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I Have been holding out waiting to see what you guys were posting,
Back about 15 years I worked for a company that got into Lining
using the Perma-Liner brand of lining,
it was amazing to watch it work, it goes past holes in the pipe as while
as jumping across breaks in the pipe up to 2-3' ,
we did this by setting up a demo in our shop going around a 90 and running out
where we had cuts holds in the pipe and making breaks in it,
This was done with 4" SCH 40 pipe :biggrin:
this will work with smaller pipe,

https://perma-liner.com/

OF COURSE THEY ARE OTHER COMPANY'S OUT THERE MAKING PRODUCTS :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
I dont do pipe relining, but find the different technologies interesting..also I wonder if the price to reline is close to the price of replacing?, I know many factors effect the price value, say you reline a sewer pipe going under a prize winning garden or expensive structure then yes at any price not to disturb whats above, but that is probably a once in a while example, but what if you just have dirt and a basic lawn above?..

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I dont do pipe relining, but find the different technologies interesting..also I wonder if the price to reline is close to the price of replacing?, I know many factors effect the price value, say you reline a sewer pipe going under a prize winning garden or expensive structure then yes at any price not to disturb whats above, but that is probably a once in a while example, but what if you just have dirt and a basic lawn above?..

Around here re-lining is usually a municipal project where they don't want to disturb other utilities or the road surface. Those would drive cost up exponentially. As you said some homeowners have reasons as well. Driveways can be expensive, Trees or a deck right on top of the pipe, or not wanting to bust up the basement slab.

Of all the relining techniques pipe bursting seems the most ideal to me when possible. You're running brand new made in the factory pipe. I am sure the cipp stuff is good too but it's not fresh sch.40 solid core pvc or in some cases fusionweld. Pipe made in the factory is guaranteed to be free from defects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're welcome to come to my shop in Illinois for hands on training with pipe lining and pipe coating. Spend a few hours or all day learning about the different methods, equipment and materials. AD DELETED Also, someone mentioned the reduced size of a lined pipe being an issue. We have testing showing increased flow with less friction and no joints. Also mentioned was the cost compared to digging. This is correct. Lining is typically done to preserve sidewalks, driveways, slabs, landscape, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
You're welcome to come to my shop in Illinois for hands on training with pipe lining and pipe coating. Spend a few hours or all day learning about the different methods, equipment and materials. AD DELETED Also, someone mentioned the reduced size of a lined pipe being an issue. We have testing showing increased flow with less friction and no joints. Also mentioned was the cost compared to digging. This is correct. Lining is typically done to preserve sidewalks, driveways, slabs, landscape, etc.

Read this and post an intro :

You will need to fill in an introduction, if not your posts will be locked or deleted and quite possibly your account too. :

Are you an employee, apprentice, journeyman, business owner?

Tell us if you had to go to trade school. How long?

How many hours or steps(1/2/3/4) before you become a journeyman?

What trade certificate do you have, plumbing, gas, oil, pipe fitter etc? How did you get them, exams, courses, or free in a cracker jack box?

What about your recent jobs, describe what you actually do and what type of building : houses, high rises, commercial building, institutional, oil refineries, paper mills etc.

Tell us about you, some funny plumbing jobs and or horror stories.

Intro page :

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey standard drain- this Ben Lehman is with pipe lining supply up in the burbs. I have zero experience with them but they have a good reputation.

Ya know, this intro crap gets real old.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Hey standard drain- this Ben Lehman is with pipe lining supply up in the burbs. I have zero experience with them but they have a good reputation.

I hear ya man! Everytime we have to hound them to write some simple stuff like what they do and where they have worked/went to school!

Phuckin lazy azz people. Do you think they are this lazy at work? Is this the kind of half azz treatment their customers get?

·
Registered
8,779 Posts

yeah who the hell needs to follow rules, lets just let all the hacks post , ask questions and never check to see if anyone is actually in the plumbing industry..that should make it much better here....
and I know how difficult it is to form some sentences to tell everyone about yourself and your experience and the company you work for, god help you if its more than 15 lines as that would be such a strain on some brains....
it seems back in the day( before my time ) here when some more people had a set, they would make sure you did an intro and were alot worse with language than now....

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
We should invite all the do it your selfer's since we no longer need intros. We'll tell admin to shut down their sister DIY site, remove the banner on this site on the top right "Plumbing Pros Only" and be a merry bunch of lazy free for alls. We should remove the pipe wrench in the Plumbing Zone logo and replace it with some duct tape and Sharkk bittes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts