Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best thing to use when caulking a toilet for and uneven floor. I have been shimming the toilets and then just using tub and tile caulk but it doesn't last.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Shim and use plaster of paris

First take a big wad of plaster of paris and put it on in front of the flange.

Set bowl , and then chaulk

That's how we do it here in NY

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I use the rubber shims as well, then caulk, works for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think Plaster works great sets up fast ... On new baths I always use the grout they used for the floor.. Looks better sets up strong and matches the grout on the floor perfect.. and you dont have to scrape the plaster out of the grout lines when done

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
I think Plaster works great sets up fast ... On new baths I always use the grout they used for the floor.. Looks better sets up strong and matches the grout on the floor perfect.. and you dont have to scrape the plaster out of the grout lines when done

Agreed on the new bath, but when pulling a toilet and then replacing it I like plaster of paris,

Sometimes I just type with out thinking :)

But yea if the grout is there from the tile then hell yes I would use that too;

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts

Grouting a toilet is a horrible idea if you ask me, they crack trying to remove them. If there is ever a leak, that grout directs the water straight down. I can't think of one good reason for grouting a toilet. I had someone grout shower trim the other day :furious: breaking it out with a screw driver and knife, horrible,

Rubber shims and caulk, the best way to go in my book

·
Registered
584 Posts
I usually won't caulk it. Just a wad of plaster and a shim well placed out of view. In my opinion the caulking stands out much more then a small gap does.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
I as well use the rubber shims and caulk like everyone else but I also double nut the flange bolts to keep them from coming loose.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Grouting a toilet is a horrible idea if you ask me, they crack trying to remove them. If there is ever a leak, that grout directs the water straight down. I can't think of one good reason for grouting a toilet. I had someone grout shower trim the other day :furious: breaking it out with a screw driver and knife, horrible,

Rubber shims and caulk, the best way to go in my book

Can you thin of a reason for 4 showers hears and 18 body sprays, 1 toilet , 1 bidet , tub, and separate whirl pool in same bathroom?

That's how the rich roll here in NY , if the toilet cracks they will buy another, but in the mod term they want it all :)

I also am told by my boss to grout, well that s when I had a boss

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I usually won't caulk it. Just a wad of plaster and a shim well placed out of view. In my opinion the caulking stands out much more then a small gap does.
What do you do about the horrendous piss stench that won't go away when Johnny misses and it ends up under the wc where it can't be cleaned? I didn't always caulk but I do now. Also, I don't know about the UPC but the IPC requires it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What do you do about the horrendous piss stench that won't go away when Johnny misses and it ends up under the wc where it can't be cleaned? I didn't always caulk but I do now. Also, I don't know about the UPC but the IPC requires it.
Never really thought about that one nor have I heard any complaints about it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Plastic shims and caulk for me. When I started plumbing we were required to use unsanded grout. I like caulk best because it is a wee bit less porous than grout and piss saturated grout can get stinky as well. I do not like pure silicone for water closets.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts