Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
The grout looks absolutely horrible. Why not use silicone?
Also if I have to shim i use plastic.

That grout is going to wick moisture when ever the floor is washed. Unless you sealed it after.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, I watched the video, (2) questions:

1) What's with the dark, dark, really dark Grout?....:blink:
2) Wood shims?

Hydraulic cement. Hard as stone in 5 minutes. Customer wanted grout so he could paint it white. Marble slab wouldn't conform to the footprint of the toilet exact.

Wood shims because I'm old school and if you look at the damage to the floor caused by the copper shims, they wasn't going back.

If you properly set a toilet, caulk or grout around the base, those shims will never deteriorate, ever.

Plastic shims I never can get them to work the way a wood shim does.

I actually believe putty works very well on placement of toilets. Putty will work very well as I've removed toilets 50+ years old that were solid.

Customer called me to thank me for putting that video up as they are trying to get reimbursed for the last guy's hack work. They stated that sitting on that toilet feels like it's solid as the concrete it's sitting on. Mission accomplished.

That trick with the hydraulic cement? I've noticed that when people dry grout those in, it cracks up because it's so thin. I shimmed that toilet to have a good solid reveal and thickness around it, but I mixed up enough where I could push in at least an inch all the way around.

That way it's not a fine line. It's a nice thick layer all around it, and that toilet won't move unless it's replaced.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grout looks absolutely horrible. Why not use silicone?
Also if I have to shim i use plastic.

That grout is going to wick moisture when ever the floor is washed. Unless you sealed it after.

It's getting painted white by the customer. Too large of a margin between floor and toilet to silicone, plus I wanted it solid like the concrete below it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Should look fine painted. why not white? Or do you just keep gray in the truck?

I personally would have filled that with silicone. I keep old credit cards in the truck for shaping.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should look fine painted. why not white? Or do you just keep gray in the truck?

I personally would have filled that with silicone. I keep old credit cards in the truck for shaping.

White grout? or white hydraulic cement?

I used hydraulic cement because I can use hot or cold water, hot if I want that to set up in 90 seconds. Gotta be super fast though.

The idea of a marble slab was knocked off the idea list because it puts a hard raised edge on the two front corners, and sometimes those slabs don't reach the full footprint of the toilet.

I use silicone 95% of the time if the margins are narrow for sanitary and finished look reasons, occaisional shim if the floor or toilet is uneven to stop rocking.

This customer was requesting grout from the go, so I told him to let me use hydraulic cement so he could use the toilet right away.

If he uses the right color white, that will look invisible to the base, and if they ever replace the linoleum they can cut it right at the edge of the grout line.

Using old credit cards would give me waaaaaaaaay too many bad memories just seeing them. :cry:

·
LICENSE PLUMBER
1,437 Posts
White grout? or white hydraulic cement?

I used hydraulic cement because I can use hot or cold water, hot if I want that to set up in 90 seconds. Gotta be super fast though.

The idea of a marble slab was knocked off the idea list because it puts a hard raised edge on the two front corners, and sometimes those slabs don't reach the full footprint of the toilet.

I use silicone 95% of the time if the margins are narrow for sanitary and finished look reasons, occaisional shim if the floor or toilet is uneven to stop rocking.

This customer was requesting grout from the go, so I told him to let me use hydraulic cement so he could use the toilet right away.

If he uses the right color white, that will look invisible to the base, and if they ever replace the linoleum they can cut it right at the edge of the grout line.

Using old credit cards would give me waaaaaaaaay too many bad memories just seeing them. :cry:

·
LICENSE PLUMBER
1,437 Posts

·
LICENSE PLUMBER
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well she's solid NOW !! I prefer white floor grout ,,, but there is several ways to skin a cat DP !

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's some pretty SCARY music you chose...almost to scared to check and see if MY toilet is shaking. lol

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That is so wrong on so many levels.

Exactly how long do you expect those pine shims to last?

The shims were temporary to get the grout underneath. A toilet that is properly installed will never leak underneath, ever.

I don't care if the shims disintegrate in a day, that's not what is holding that toilet level and solid.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
Some people must not fully understand hydraulic cement. They must not realize that it's harder than regular slab cement. And with the use of hydraulic cement, that toilet will never rock. Job well done sir.

The shims were temporary to get the grout underneath.

I don't care if the shims disintegrate in a day, that's not what is holding that toilet level and solid.

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
The shims were temporary to get the grout underneath. A toilet that is properly installed will never leak underneath, ever.

Alright. I misunderstood.

Carry on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your install looks good. Of course, if some f-tard hadn't set the flange too high originally, you wouldn't have to reinvent the freaking wheel just to set a toilet. I definitely like your method of dealing with it, I'll keep it in mind for the next one I come across.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts