Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hi Titan,

I removed your web link, that type of advertising is not allowed on here, you say in your profile your a plumbing contractor, how about a intro from you, in our intro forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clarification

Moderator,

Good call. I didn't realize that my previous post could've looked like a sneaky ad itself. Here's the reason for my post:

I get contacts from marketing agencies on a daily basis. I'm trying to get information on this company which contacted me yesterday. Perhaps there's another way to find out if this "set-aside" directory is merely another marketing scam, or if others have found it to be legit. I'm interested if any others have used it and what ROI they might or might not have experienced.

Any suggestions as to how I should approach this question?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Just give us an intro, so we got an idea who you are, where your from, code you use, then post your question in the Business, Marketing, and Sales forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Titan

Done.

Thanx!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I moved the thread to Business, Marketing, and Sales forum

·
Banned
913 Posts
Titan - we have been contacted by a company offering to put us in the gov't directory. Never pursued it because it sounded like a waste of money to us. If someone has different information, would love to hear about it. I'm always leary of phone solicitors who are reluctant to send information via the mail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
setaside directory -- scam or worthy?

The marketing agency that contacted me and spent a lot of time via scripted presentation to explain to me how great it is puts companies' advertisements in a directory they publish online which they insist is the directory ALL local government agencies use to find agencies to do service and repairs on their facilities in "no-bid" fashion.
It was a slow day and I was organizing my drain cleaning accessory bin so I put them on speakerphone and listened to their spiel.
I told them I'd do it if they'd bill me according to the number of calls we got from those who use their directory. They declined, of course.
Sounded like a scam, but I wanted to see if I was turning my back on a good marketing approach.
They had a website for me to check out, but our moderator wisely edited it out of my original post.
Google "setaside directory" and you'll come up with dozens of these marketing agencies.
My original question remains: Anybody do this?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
The marketing agency that contacted me and spent a lot of time via scripted presentation to explain to me how great it is puts companies' advertisements in a directory they publish online which they insist is the directory ALL local government agencies use to find agencies to do service and repairs on their facilities in "no-bid" fashion.
It was a slow day and I was organizing my drain cleaning accessory bin so I put them on speakerphone and listened to their spiel.
I told them I'd do it if they'd bill me according to the number of calls we got from those who use their directory. They declined, of course.
Sounded like a scam, but I wanted to see if I was turning my back on a good marketing approach.
They had a website for me to check out, but our moderator wisely edited it out of my original post.
Google "setaside directory" and you'll come up with dozens of these marketing agencies.
My original question remains: Anybody do this?
This is the web site he talks about.

http://www.setaside.com

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Looks like a crock of BS to me...

Almost like that ad in the back of comic books where you can buy a jeep for $5...
Just send us money and we'll tell you how to go to the goverment auction...
Like that knowledge isn't available for free!

It almost looks like a goverment website!:laughing:

Try this instead!
http://www.ccr.gov/Contractors.aspx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They called back and I blew them off today. They kept making the point that a decision had to be made "right now" because the "window is closing" on a trade like mine.
If it's an online directory, how could a window close?
I decided it wasn't worth the $499.

·
Banned
913 Posts
They called back and I blew them off today. They kept making the point that a decision had to be made "right now" because the "window is closing" on a trade like mine.
If it's an online directory, how could a window close?
I decided it wasn't worth the $499.
:yes: Smart man! Creating urgency to buy now is a dead give-a-way.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
These guys have been calling me like crazy saying the same story as they told Titan, I know this is an old thread, but stumbled on it on a google search. Has anyone tried them since?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts