Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything is sales.
•My marketing (advertising, shop sign, fancy truck lettering, referrals, magnetic business cards) is what sells people to call my phone number in the first place.
•Every time I answer the phone, I am selling an appointment.
•When I walk in the door, I am selling my image as a professional service plumber, so they trust me.
•Then I show them directly how I can improve their particular plumbing situation and give them a price (direct sale.)
•Finally, my quality parts, workmanship and customer-service then sell a repeat call or referral...my goal is a customer for life.

Business is sales, period. Especially the home service business (plumbing, HVAC, etc.) 90% of the service business is simply selling YOURSELF as a person people like to deal with. People buy from people they like.:thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Good point service guy! Too bad some people do not look at it that way. I have worked for many people who dont care what they are selling to a customer, just the check.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I agree 100% !! It is BEYOND me how some plumbers can be Grungy , Frumpy , Sloppy , Late ( or not at all) , Rude , Pushy , Crash , and drive a beat up clunker ,,,, YET , are always busy ?????

Must be CHEAP !

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't know about the other local plumbers, but I am sure busy. October was a record month, well over $20,000 in service (one truck operation). So far this week, (monday and tuesday) 11 ELEVEN service calls completed in two days!!!:eek::thumbup:
LONG HOURS. I'm tired, my back is sore, but my wallet is happy.:)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Everything is sales.
•My marketing (advertising, shop sign, fancy truck lettering, referrals, magnetic business cards) is what sells people to call my phone number in the first place.
•When I walk in the door, I am selling my image as a professional service plumber, so they trust me.
•Then I show them directly how I can improve their particular plumbing situation and give them a price (direct sale.)
•Finally, my quality parts, workmanship and customer-service then sell a repeat call or referral...my goal is a customer for life.

Business is sales, period. Especially the home service business (plumbing, HVAC, etc.) 90% of the service business is simply selling YOURSELF as a person people like to deal with. People buy from people they like.:thumbsup:
You got it bro. Keep it up!

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Everything is sales.

Carl, You are dead on. Some think that when the word "Sales" is used, you need to be a car salesman. Totally different.
You done a great job describing it.:thumbsup:
We had our record month also, I haven't done the final tally but we are right at 20k +/-.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well donr fellas !! And an added bonus --- $ 20,000 x 12 = $ 240,000 ,,,, still WELL under the limit that our new Pres says you have to share :) ;)

Cal

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well donr fellas !! And an added bonus --- $ 20,000 x 12 = $ 240,000 ,,,, still WELL under the limit that our new Pres says you have to share :) ;)

Cal
Actually you're wrong. The $250,000+ tax increase is on taxable income not gross sales. Even if I do $400,000 in sales, I won't be making $250,000 in income, so my taxes won't be increased.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Actually you're wrong. The $250,000+ tax increase is on taxable income not gross sales. Even if I do $400,000 in sales, I won't be making $250,000 in income, so my taxes won't be increased.
Now all the guys are wondering why they didn't vote for Obama...:laughing:

·
Banned
913 Posts
:) Redwood & Service Guy - you two have shown us how people with different backgrounds can come together.

The innocent color baby getting along with the smoking black & white baby from the other side of the tracks. :laughing: Take a look at your avatars when they come up in close proximity to one another! Funny stuff.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sales.... probably the most general term of all in business.

I have learned a great deal lately about presenting value as opposed to specific product.

To me relationships are the key. Once I get those relationships the work seems to follow. Personal relationships to me are the enjoyment of what I do for a living. I have yet to see a plumber post on any of the two forums I follow. " I cant wait to go crawl through human and animal waste tomorrow to fix that broken pipe under that mobile home".

For me, I don't mind if in my heart I know I am providing quality services and I am building a relationship of repeat clients.

I am not an overly religious man by any means however I do believe in god, I heard an old timer in my Rotary Club share about personal relationships. Evidently he was in sales in his career, now retired. He spoke about the value of those relationships and how those orders would just come in once he directed his focus on the relationship as opposed to the sale. He said a person once asked him why he prayed every day... his answer was quite simple.... personal relationships. That one stuck with me.

Sales is how our world starts everyday. So many books written, so much powerful knowledge on the subject.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts