Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using SM for I would say........about 1.5 yrs, in the beganning, they sucked, then I all of a sudden for about 8 months, they were great, I was making some good money off them, then all of a sudden for the last few months the quality of the calls went to hell in a hand basket.

I now equate advertising with SM, is like being listed under the guy with the $29.99 drain cleaning ad.

Anyone else notice this lately? Or you just don't use service magic at all?

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their leads were really crappy in my brief experience. And competing with other plumbers while paying for these leads was not worth it one bit.

Yeah, they went back off, I will more then likely cancel them out, I will keep them off for another month and see what happens, I wil use them if the phone stops and I am bored.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
They run on a teaser effect...
You are just about to give them the boot and then they feed you some good ones...
Just enough to keep ya hooked!
Then the crap starts again...

It's the scam they run....
How long do you want them in your pocket?

Are you a sucker for teases or what?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you all don't mind me responding to some of what you're saying here. As someone who works at SM, I can tell you that there is no mechanism for giving "better" leads to someone who we think is just about to quit SM. All the leads are distributed the same, according to the task selections chosen in everyone's profiles.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Lol... not to worry, UA. I know there are a lot of questions about SM and just thought I'd try to answer one.
You're actually a competitor. I'm constantly fighting with SM for position and ad clarity on the internet.

But let me get this straight: I pay you for leads, even though I don't get the work?

In other words, you're my ????, I'm your ????, the homeowner is the john? But I pay you regardless if I turn the _ing trick?

I want to be you, fella.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I hope you all don't mind me responding to some of what you're saying here. As someone who works at SM, I can tell you that there is no mechanism for giving "better" leads to someone who we think is just about to quit SM. All the leads are distributed the same, according to the task selections chosen in everyone's profiles.
:blink: How about an intro.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Thats funny. I have used SM for over a year now, the rep blammed the poor leads on the economy, but yet you still charge the same as when the leads were good. You also brag that only, well first it was up to 3, then you incresed that number to 4, contractors get the leads, all at the same time. I doubt it. Mike Diamond or George Brazil who use your service always got to the customer before I did, I suspect it is because they have a much larger service area, which means they spend alot more $$ with you then I do. I have full internet in my van, in my office, I get the text and email, at one time I got the phone call and text, thats 4 ways I recieved the lead, and I still couldn't beat these guys to the jump.

You have secrets. So, not only do you have low quality leads, I am 2nd or 3rd in line for the call, the lead I recieved yesterday the customer didn't even know why I was calling, then when I tried to explain it to him, I had to speak over his call waiting, I just hung up.

Then on top of all that, I am tired of getting text messages at 11 and 12 pm for none emergencies, so I asked to not have calls taken after hours, and I was told that was fine, but I would still be charged for the leads.

Whats funny is you guys asked for other contractors, so you could check out my company, and still to this day you call all three and try to get them to do business with you.

Hmmm, SM was good, but now they suck.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
To me, the whole concept of these lead-companies is terrible. 3 or 4 contractors all pay money for a single lead....then have to compete for it???:blink: So one contractor maybe gets the job, (if anyone gets it, sometimes the leads are so poor, that the customer is "just looking") and the rest get nothing, yet they all pay for this lead
...it works out great for the consumer, and the lead provider, but totally sucks for the contractors.:censored:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
So How about an intro... You are a plumber right?:furious:

Or, do you just beat people up and take their money?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Yet another example of why its important to watch what you type on forums.

I would like to take this opportunity to retract any statements that may show an intent to harm the reputation of any other being, company, government etc.
You know who you are.:jester::whistling2:
No Freakin Way!
I stand by my opinion!:thumbup:

In addition to that I question the legitimacy of SM Employee's membership on this forum and the ability to post here.:furious:

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
never even heard of Service Magic, how does it work?
Well, it's simple really. You sign up and agree to get screwed. They screw you a few times a week and accept it with a grin and an agreement for no reach around when they are finished! Isn't that great :thumbup:

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
It will only get worse. With all of the out of work new con plumbers desperate enough to enter the world of service plumbing without really knowing how, they will discover SM and flock to them. SM stock will go up at least in the short term. They still suck.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts