Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed here lately that when I pull a lid there is no worms. Used to be just about every tank lid I pulled had these little 1" long worms just feasting away at the top of the water. Now I dont see them. Maybe its the germ killing soaps we use now are killing them off?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Global Warming :whistling2:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I replaced a section of basement sewer line last winter - it was 3" C.I. with Ty-Seal joints. It was under a hair salon and I'm guessing it was the chemicals that had eaten out the entire top of the pipe for its full length. So there was plenty of hair and other debris in the line, and plenty of little angleworms, too.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
It was under a hair salon and I'm guessing it was the chemicals that had eaten out the entire top of the pipe for its full length.
Nope.

Sulphur Dioxide gas from the septic tank itself, we see it here all the time in suburban houses that were built in the seventies and early eighties.

·
Chase Plumber
289 Posts
We specialize in septic systems, preferrably gravel beds and infiltrator (which infiltrator is a joke in my book). But anyhow, I have seen all kinds of junk in them when I pull a manhole cover off.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Killertoiletspider said:
Sulphur Dioxide gas from the septic tank itself,
It was on a city sewer. I've seen Ty-seal pipe deteriorate rapidly before, too. Thirty years and you can put your hand through it almost anywhere.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are those worms that were in there that I saw? Are they suposed to be there to help break down the solids?

·
Registered
843 Posts
USP45 said:
what are those worms that were in there that I saw? Are they suposed to be there to help break down the solids?
They won't hurt. Bacteria are sufficient - worms will do the rest out in the drain field.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
It was on a city sewer. I've seen Ty-seal pipe deteriorate rapidly before, too. Thirty years and you can put your hand through it almost anywhere.
It can happen if you're in an area with a high sulfur content in the water, when it combines with oxygen the gas is formed, and always eats away the top of the pipe because it is lighter than air.

We see a lot of it on houses that were converted from septic to city sewer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts