Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an 8-year-old 3 story home. We are on a private well and septic and have a sump pump in the basement. Every summer when the weather gets hot we start getting septic smells in the house. Have had our tank pumped yet we still get the smell. I’ve read that it could be a dry trap so I go and run water in every drain and appliance and it doesn’t stop the smell. We can’t pinpoint the origin of the smell. Once it comes it seems to cover the house instantly and doesn’t seem stronger in one area than another. We do have forced air which could be carrying the smell to the whole home but we still can’t figure out where the smell is originating. This problem only happens in the summer when the weather gets hot. We don’t have any smell problems in Fall, Winter, or Spring. All the local plumbers are always willing to come “take a look” but not for less than $100 and actual services performed are always more than $500. I’m willing to have a plumber fix the problem but I’m worried we are going to have to spend $3000+ to find the answer. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Could be your air conditioner that stinks. Have your local A/C guy take a look since the plumbers haven’t found anything plumbing related
Probably dead rodents in the air handler. Poor little baby Turbo!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
View attachment 129988

Hahhaahahahahahaaha turbo.
Years ago I was helping one of our HVAC guys service some units and the first condenser we opened, a momma mouse ran out with 5 babies hanging off her tits. 3 were left behind in the nest. We moved the nest to the stone wall she ran in. She made two trips back but left the third. I couldn't let the little guy starve to death. I kept him alive for 10 days by feeding him weak baby formula. I would hold a drop on the end of a hollow coffee stirrer. Then I would clean him off using a moist Q-tip. I didn't know at the time that rubbing their bellies was required for proper digestion. He died of constipation.

I named him Turbo after the replacement capacitor we used to fix that condenser.

·
Registered
Certified DIY Advisor (Terms and conditions apply)
335 Posts
Years ago I was helping one of our HVAC guys service some units and the first condenser we opened, a momma mouse ran out with 5 babies hanging off her tits. 3 were left behind in the nest. We moved the nest to the stone wall she ran in. She made two trips back but left the third. I couldn't let the little guy starve to death. I kept him alive for 10 days by feeding him weak baby formula. I would hold a drop on the end of a hollow coffee stirrer. Then I would clean him off using a moist Q-tip. I didn't know at the time that rubbing their bellies was required for proper digestion. He died of constipation.

I named him Turbo after the replacement capacitor we used to fix that condenser.

View attachment 129992

Jesus Christ the sht I read here, wow

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Jesus Christ the sht I read here, wow
I've killed plenty of rodents, squirrels, chipmunks, woodchucks, rabbits, raccoons, SKUNKS, opossums, you name it. But there was something about that poor little baby mouse, I just couldn't let it die there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I live in an 8-year-old 3 story home. We are on a private well and septic and have a sump pump in the basement. Every summer when the weather gets hot we start getting septic smells in the house. Have had our tank pumped yet we still get the smell. I’ve read that it could be a dry trap so I go and run water in every drain and appliance and it doesn’t stop the smell. We can’t pinpoint the origin of the smell. Once it comes it seems to cover the house instantly and doesn’t seem stronger in one area than another. We do have forced air which could be carrying the smell to the whole home but we still can’t figure out where the smell is originating. This problem only happens in the summer when the weather gets hot. We don’t have any smell problems in Fall, Winter, or Spring. All the local plumbers are always willing to come “take a look” but not for less than $100 and actual services performed are always more than $500. I’m willing to have a plumber fix the problem but I’m worried we are going to have to spend $3000+ to find the answer. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
this forum is for professionals only. Have you posted an introduction? That said, septic is not plumbing, so im going to break a major rule here and get ridiculed.

Stop eating so much corn in summer.

Also you are missing your inlet baffle, call a pumper have your tank drained, and have him check the conditions of the baffle.

Lastly, the success of modern civilization is 100% due to plumbing. Maybe hire one of us and pay us and be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Certified DIY Advisor (Terms and conditions apply)
335 Posts
this forum is for professionals only. Have you posted an introduction? That said, septic is not plumbing, so im going to break a major rule here and get ridiculed.

Stop eating so much corn in summer.

Also you are missing your inlet baffle, call a pumper have your tank drained, and have him check the conditions of the baffle.

Lastly, the success of modern civilization is 100% due to plumbing. Maybe hire one of us and pay us and be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since when is septic not plumbing...?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Since when is septic not plumbing...?
What he means is, Septic isn't the kind of plumbing that prissys want to deal with. Some guys only do newcon and drive open body pickups. The worst they get on their clothes is drywall dust.

JK, Just breaking balls ;)

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
1,462 Posts
What he means is, Septic isn't the kind of plumbing that prissys want to deal with. Some guys only do newcon and drive open body pickups. The worst they get on their clothes is drywall dust.

HEY, I get saw dust, silicone, cobwebs and ABS/PVC glue on me..

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts

If you want to call me prissy because I dont like working on septic, sewage pumps or snaking drains, well I'm good with that. I've educated myself and most of my work is in tankless tech or water filtration. No shame in liking to work with sewage or taking pride in getting dirty. Hell people go to college to be proctologist... sewer guys are the proctologist of plumbing.. I prefer to be on the other end of the spectrum. I have worked inside of septic tanks and pumped don johns.. no thanks I'm good. I make more money being "covered in drywall dust"

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
If you want to call me prissy because I dont like working on septic, sewage pumps or snaking drains, well I'm good.............sewer guys are the proctologist of plumbing................. I make more money being "covered in drywall dust"
I was just making a joke :)

I feel that any one who calls them self a service plumber should have the tools and motivation to be able to fix any plumbing issue. I am not saying you should like it all or do all of it all the time, or that you shouldn't turn down certain work. Just do it enough that you are proficient, this way when doody calls you're not freaking out. We all run into those instances where we need to take care of something our selves instead of reffering it to someone else. It's also very important to understand how all the different parts of a plumbing system work together.

As for not being able to make as much money, that's not because of the work itself, just local market variations and experience selling those kinds of services. The company I work for can charge just as much for drain cleaning(per man-hour) as we do for a reno. We are large enough that we have the flexibility to do some of it all.

And BTW, I get covered in drywall dust(usually plaster) more often than I get sewage on any part of me.

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
I was just making a joke :)

I feel that any one who calls them self a service plumber should have the tools and motivation to be able to fix any plumbing issue. I am not saying you should like it all or do all of it all the time, or that you shouldn't turn down certain work. Just do it enough that you are proficient, this way when doody calls you're not freaking out. We all run into those instances where we need to take care of something our selves instead of reffering it to someone else. It's also very important to understand how all the different parts of a plumbing system work together.

As for not being able to make as much money, that's not because of the work itself, just local market variations and experience selling those kinds of services. The company I work for can charge just as much for drain cleaning(per man-hour) as we do for a reno. We are large enough that we have the flexibility to do some of it all.

And BTW, I get covered in drywall dust(usually plaster) more often than I get sewage on any part of me.

Lol and there's sometimes I go home covered in crap. But yes I'm a bit Prissy. To me poop smells like poop not money

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Lol and there's sometimes I go home covered in crap. But yes I'm a bit Prissy. To me poop smells like poop not money
We don't do cleanup.

I had a call the other day, I get there and the manager is profusely apologizing for the mess I am about to walk into and saying how I have a schitty job. I reminded them we don't do cleanup. It was a basement bathroom where the toilet overflowed because the main was clogged and they kept using the bathroom above.

I snaked the overhead waste line from a c.o. in the other room where there was no sewage on the floor and unclogged the main. I stepped into that basement bathroom once to plunge the toilet and run the utility sink. I wiped my boots off on the clean corner of an otherwise ruined carpet and left. Whole call took less than 90 mins and I didn't have to deal with any sewage.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts