Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a catholic church bid. They have the babtismal font drains going outside to a scrarium vault. It has rock in the bottom of it for percolation into the soil.

Can that babtismal water not leave the premises?

I'll bid whatever they want. I just found it interesting. Never heard of anything like it. :blink:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Here is your answer:

Proper disposal
In Catholicism, holy water, as well as water used during the washing of the priest's hands at mass, is not allowed to be disposed of in regular plumbing. Roman Catholic churches will usually have a special basin that leads directly into the ground for the purpose of proper disposal. A hinged lid is kept over the holy water basin to distinguish it from a regular sink basin, which is often just beside it. Items that contain holy water are separated, drained of the holy water, and then washed in a regular manner in the adjacent sink.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that fascinating:blink:

They are going to a sizeable expense with seperate drains and building sewers for a sink and a babtismal font.

From looking at the prints. The water becomes "holy" at the outlet of a 3/4" RPZ.:laughing:

One would think holy water would be delivered straight from the vatican.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Isn't that fascinating:blink:

They are going to a sizeable expense with seperate drains and building sewers for a sink and a babtismal font.

From looking at the prints. The water becomes "holy" at the outlet of a 3/4" RPZ.:laughing:

One would think holy water would be delivered straight from the vatican.
Ummm it's all in the hand wave...
When he waves his hand over it the water transforms...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Years ago I had to snake a "holy" drain. After running the snake the priest caught me with a 5 gallon bucket of water pouring it down the drain to check my work. He was not too happy about unholy water going down the sacred drain. Hope I don't go to hell for that.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Repent, seek forgiveness, and you avoid the hot place.

On a serious note, I guess you would have had to use 5 gallons of Holy Water to test?

·
Registered
79 Posts
At the time I did the job I wasn't aware of the holy water part. Had I known about it I would have had the water blessed before pouring it down. As far as forgiveness, I told him "I'm sorry, please forgive me." I hope that saves me.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
I believe the water is just water until the Priest blesses the water or says a prayer over the water. So as the baptismal font is filling it is not blessed water but becomes blessed once the Priest blesses the water. The only reason I can think of why they would not want non-blessed water to "return to the Earth" with blessed water would be decreased capacity in the percolation sight.

Mark

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
At the time I did the job I wasn't aware of the holy water part. Had I known about it I would have had the water blessed before pouring it down. As far as forgiveness, I told him "I'm sorry, please forgive me." I hope that saves me.
Go say 2 Hail Mary's and 2 Our Father's....:laughing:

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
My in laws are catholics. My wife and I went to "mass" with them one sunday on an easter. I really dug the choir and there musical talents. The part that i didnt like was when the bishop or whatever walked around with that toilet wand looking thing throwing water on everyone. Was that holy water, and how does it getting it on my clothes return it back to the earth?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts