Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get to keep scrap copper and brass when we replace it on a call, what do you do where your at?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
We keep it at the shop until just before Christmas, then we sell for an extra party.
Needless to say we get a very large amount of scrap copper, it all goes to the shop, and the money is used for a Christmas party, what is left over from that is split equally between all the guys that work in the field. Last year my cut was $800.00.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think copper here is over $3 per pound.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The shop I work for keeps everything. They say it pays for our Christmas party. It does pay for it, as well as puts a nice chunk of cash into the owners pockets. They made over 20k last year in cash on scrap metal. They're pretty strict about it, guys have been fired for taking home metal. I got into an argument with them when I pulled a couple big garbage bags of used copper wire and cable from the dumpster on my lunch (with permission from the GC). They saw me walking out with the bags and wanted me to give it to them when I told them what I had.

Copper was recently just under $4 a pound. I'm not sure what it is now but I imagine it's dropped back to just over $3/lb.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
The shop I work for keeps everything. They say it pays for our Christmas party. It does pay for it, as well as puts a nice chunk of cash into the owners pockets. They made over 20k last year in cash on scrap metal. They're pretty strict about it, guys have been fired for taking home metal. I got into an argument with them when I pulled a couple big garbage bags of used copper wire and cable from the dumpster on my lunch (with permission from the GC). They saw me walking out with the bags and wanted me to give it to them when I told them what I had.

Copper was recently just under $4 a pound. I'm not sure what it is now but I imagine it's dropped back to just over $3/lb.
Please tell me you kept it.

Thats completely over the line, it wasn't theirs & you had to dig it out of a dumpster.
Sounds like the company you work for is a wee bit too "territorial".

·
Registered
584 Posts
Please tell me you kept it.

Thats completely over the line, it wasn't theirs & you had to dig it out of a dumpster.
Sounds like the company you work for is a wee bit too "territorial".
I told them so long as it is not detrimental to the company what I do on my time is my buisness. We are not paid for our lunch so that is my time. That and I also just flat out said I was keeping it. I still work there so I guess they got over it.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
All scrap comes to our shop. That is a sure fire way to get laid off. We're talking about a substantial amount of money here. I don't know many owners that let their men keep the scrap around here.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
All scrap comes to our shop. That is a sure fire way to get laid off. We're talking about a substantial amount of money here. I don't know many owners that let their men keep the scrap around here.
If they did, they would be stunned at how much the amount of "scrap" produced would increase over night ;).

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Correct smells. Scrap is a by-product. Not a revenue creater. If I cut out 2" L @ $3.00 per pound. I'm putting it back at $4.50 per foot. Never wanna take out any more than necessary. Which is why I hang ribbons where the cuts on existing plumbing are to be made by the guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
What, keeping copper wire that was never property of the shop that I obtained on my time with the owners permission?
A family member of mine flips houses. He lets me go through the places and keep whatever I want before he has a crew come to haul everything out. He also give me whatever metal he pulls out of the house. I've found some valuable tools inside houses. I usually sell everything off but some things (mainly plumbing stuff) I put aside because I figure someday I'll use it. If my boss ever sees inside my garage with the plumbing tools, material (though not much of it), along with the pile of metal I'm going to be in trouble.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
What, keeping copper wire that was never property of the shop that I obtained on my time with the owners permission?
A family member of mine flips houses. He lets me go through the places and keep whatever I want before he has a crew come to haul everything out. He also give me whatever metal he pulls out of the house. I've found some valuable tools inside houses. I usually sell everything off but some things (mainly plumbing stuff) I put aside because I figure someday I'll use it. If my boss ever sees inside my garage with the plumbing tools, material (though not much of it), along with the pile of metal I'm going to be in trouble.

Marlin,
I was not replying to your situation. I was talking bout plumbing scrap created doing the plumbing job. If I reply directly to someone I will quote them and reply under that.
Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts