Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For service plumbers:

How do you set up appointments and schedule service calls for the techs?

One idea I had was 2 hour time slots:

for example, 8-10, 10-12, (lunch) 1-3, 3-5. So four slots/day would be scheduled. The only problem being is that some calls take one hour and some may take 4 hours, and it can be difficult for the dispatcher to guess how long to schedule calls for.

Anyway how do you do it in your company?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Our dispather usually sets up a time, but sometimes like you say its conflicting when a call last longer than expected. We only have 5 guys on plumbing trucks and we do alot of service. If it is a new customer we set a specific time for the next day, if its an emergency we have an on call list.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Being a one-man shop, I have to be very careful when scheduling. Since I spend the morning answering the phone, I seldom leave for a job before 10. So I figure one job in the morning (unless I can see that it's a larger job and will take longer), and then schedule the afternoon based upon what I think jobs will take.

Normally, it works well and I can finish the day by five. Sometimes, I have to work until I'm finished and can go as late as seven in the evening. But that's rare.

If I think that the day looks pretty full already, I schedule for the next day. Yes, I often get someone calling back the next morning to cancel because their neighbor/son/uncle/handyman had already fixed whatever was wrong.

And, of course, in a one-man shop, you get days with no calls and other days with everyone calling at once.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, of course, in a one-man shop, you get days with no calls and other days with everyone calling at once.
Its the same wether you are one-man shop or ten-man-shop. Service plumbing has always been that way...the calls always come in bunches. One day you are turning customer's away because you're so busy, the next day you are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring!!! Crazy business, but I love it.
:yes:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
With the traffic in our area ,, I try to schedule the day furthest -to-close est .

That way at least I'm near home at the end of the day . If that doesn't work out ,,,, As all you city dwellers know ,,, I try to finish the day heading back in towards the city because outbound is a PARKING LOT !!

And Last ,,, when times get slow ,,, Just schedule what you can and have patience !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts