Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glue or union, which one you use or prefer, I always use glue type, only cause most tub and shower traps are buried in the ceilings.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I always use regular solvent-weld traps on tubs, showers, laundry, etc. On sinks I prefer tubular traps, so they can be removed for drain cleaning. I hate having to cut out a solvent-weld trap under the kitchen sink in order to access the drain.
Please, if you are going to install 'glue' traps under sinks, install a cleanout access also!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here code requires a clean out under the kitchen sinks.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
The bottom cleanout plug on traps are the worst. I can never get my cable past them and the gasket is always broke. I'm the exact same as Carl in regards to trap preference.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Glue on. My supplier doesnt stock union traps. Only Blowes and Home Despair around here stock them.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
here any traps have to be a Glue X Glue trap in areas non assessable. If its assessable then the union type of trap will pass.

As far as the nut on the bottom? Drain plug we call them. Mandatory on commercial jobs

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
My code doesn't allow tubular/sched 15 anywhere...it's all schedule 40 on traps.

Tubs, showers & laundries are not allowd to have c/o's, kitchens require either a c/o or removable traps.

I prefer removeable traps for reasons stated be Gear Junkie...using a snake through a plug outlet in a trap is much more difficult.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have become VERY fond of the tubular type ( sch 15 or 20 ) . They hold great , and don't lock up like a union pvc trap !

Glue on all unaccessible s , tube when I can on lavys ,k/s , L/t etc.

Just can't STAND those ones with the cleanout in the bottom ,,, that will never work for a cable !!

Cal

·
Registered
584 Posts
Union for anything exposed and glue for anything non-assessable. If it's to be exposed then we use chrome. I don't why some guys use PVC traps and flexible supply lines when it's going to be exposed, it looks horrible.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I always try to avoid union traps when using sch. 40. Nasty, leaky things.
I'll agree, if you aren't 100% perfectly lined up you got trouble.
If I install them, I prefab everything, then clamp the union tight as the glue on the outlet 90 dries..seems to fix any misalignment.
From a drain cleaning perspective, they're the bomb.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What's a trap?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I avoid union traps all together, glue traps is my preferred choice.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Perhaps if you have been conditioned to think that way. Just don't come to Florida. Here the ratio of pvc to 17ga is like 10,000:1. That includes million dollar homes.

Union for anything exposed and glue for anything non-assessable. If it's to be exposed then we use chrome. I don't why some guys use PVC traps and flexible supply lines when it's going to be exposed, it looks horrible.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Perhaps if you have been conditioned to think that way. Just don't come to Florida. Here the ratio of pvc to 17ga is like 10,000:1. That includes million dollar homes.
I went down their for the first time since I was a little kid a few months ago. I was shocked when I saw all the PVC water lines coming out of the ground with the meters right there above ground. I'm still trying to figure out why their aren't lowlifes with battery sawzalls cutting them out and selling them for drug money.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with PVC traps in general. When it's going to be on a wall mount sink or something you look at every day though chrome in my opinion is a much nicer look. When it's closed up in a wall or in a cabinet I use PVC in almost every case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts