Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if we get something by mail, or by phone from a company enticing us to commit to advertising or some type of activity that's a gimmick to steal hard earned dollars, are we allowed to post pictures of the product, the company's name or their brochures so it prevents another victim from being created?

I just received a mailing from "another" yellow pages directory, and you would almost believe it to be a bill in their design.

The fruit and nuts to the gimmick all reads in the fine print.

Any chance? I'm "assuming" that this post is in the hidden part of this site as well, the reason I posted it in here.

There's a lot of plumbers on this site if they get a chance to view it could save themselves the heartache of a bad situation.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Hey wait there is a secret part of this site??

But seriously We get them all the time. I can remember seeing them from years ago too.

The biggest annoying scam to me is the phone calls where they say " We are calling with (name website directory here) and we want to update your free listing with us." Then they ask you a handful of yes and no questions.
  1. Is your company name (your company)
  2. Is your address still
  3. Is your phone number and so on.
Seems all harmless till you read your next months phone bill with a fine tooth comb and see you are being charged some monthly fee by a third party for so called advertising on their website.
When you call to complain they play back the recording and half the time you can hear the questions are a louder level than your answers and the questions are changed.
  1. Do you authorize us to record your conversation
  2. Do you understand the terms we explained to you
  3. Do you authorize us to bill our service fee to this phone number. and so on as well.
You can tell the recording has been doctored up. The way we handle this is we tell them we are not authorized to answer questions pertaining to the company over the phone.

I am not sure if their as anyone we could report the phone scams too, but I am sure you can take that mailed fake bill to someone, it is against the Federal law for a company to make a marketing material look like a bill

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hey wait there is a secret part of this site??

But seriously We get them all the time. I can remember seeing them from years ago too.

The biggest annoying scam to me is the phone calls where they say " We are calling with (name website directory here) and we want to update your free listing with us." Then they ask you a handful of yes and no questions.

1. Is your company name (your company)
  2. Is your address still
  3. Is your phone number and so on.
Seems all harmless till you read your next months phone bill with a fine tooth comb and see you are being charged some monthly fee by a third party for so called advertising on their website.

When you call to complain they play back the recording and half the time you can hear the questions are a louder level than your answers and the questions are changed.
  1. Do you authorize us to record your conversation
  2. Do you understand the terms we explained to you
  3. Do you authorize us to bill our service fee to this phone number. and so on as well.
You can tell the recording has been doctored up. The way we handle this is we tell them we are not authorized to answer questions pertaining to the company over the phone.

I am not sure if their as anyone we could report the phone scams too, but I am sure you can take that mailed fake bill to someone, it is against the Federal law for a company to make a marketing material look like a bill
Wife and I were talking about this the other day. If you click on a website they automatically start charging your phone bill. We are considering writing our congressmen/women and having them pass a bill that if you start charging for services on that product they need to send you a formal contract thru the us mail for you to sign. Write your state reps and have them lobby for it in the us congress. No one should start charging you for services unless they have an actual Signature from you. Making it a legal and binding contract.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Anyone getting email request to bid on the sale of " 50 gallon electric wate heater 240 volts single phase 4500 watts" ? All describe that the customer will ship them overseas to a hotel or missionary school. They want you to somehow deal with a freight forwarder. There is a scam in here somewhere, probably bogus credit cards, or something fishy with the freight company. Needless to say, we are not going there. Tell them pony up the money, come and get it!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
This is coming from atlanta georgia rock.

Almost intentionally designed to accidentally have your secretary write a check and pay the bill...which it isn't.
Yes the one I get is from Atlanta ga. also. You have to watch those ads from yellow pages and yellow book they are very confusing and alot of them are scams.

·
4,253 Posts
Wife and I were talking about this the other day. If you click on a website they automatically start charging your phone bill. We are considering writing our congressmen/women and having them pass a bill that if you start charging for services on that product they need to send you a formal contract thru the us mail for you to sign. Write your state reps and have them lobby for it in the us congress. No one should start charging you for services unless they have an actual Signature from you. Making it a legal and binding contract.
That is a great idea. For you other guys and gals out there read your phone bills carefully, watch out for this scam. I had AT&T put a blocker, (they had a term for the type of blocker), where no third party company can ever add their billing to any of our dozen phone numbers. The only way they can now do it is if I submit in writing to AT&T that I authorize their company to charge to our phone bill.

·
4,253 Posts
Lol, just after I made the last post here I got 4 calls from the so called on-line directories. I decided to play along with out ever saying yes or no.

Hello sir, is your company name A-Archer Sewer and Plumbing Service?
This is A-Archer Sewer and Plumbing Service.

Are you located in Arlington Heights IL?
That is one of our locations.

Would this be the correct phone number for your company ***-***-****?
That is our phone number.

She started getting flustered by this time and started to reach with other questions, which by this time I got bored and told her just mail us a letter with all the questions she needs answered. She got upset and just hung up. :laughing:

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Great, I've had these people call me to "update" my free listings before and I answeared yes to the questions. (insert favorite curse here)

I have checked my phone bills and see no weird charges (other than the normal ones) so maybe they can't add bills to Canadian numbers?

I get calls once a month asking to renew my online ad. I manage my website myself and do not subscribe to online advertising. I tell them to cancel any ad they have, then they tell me that they will send the final bill if I give my address!:laughing: I tell them that I never signed up for this service then they insist that "someone" in my office did. :rolleyes:

I ask for their address to send the cheque and they ask for a credit card. I insist on an address and they ask whyI want it. I tell them so that I can send them the check through the RCMP. CLICK. they hang up every time.:whistling2:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, I've had these people call me to "update" my free listings before and I answeared yes to the questions. (insert favorite curse here)

I have checked my phone bills and see no weird charges (other than the normal ones) so maybe they can't add bills to Canadian numbers?

I get calls once a month asking to renew my online ad. I manage my website myself and do not subscribe to online advertising. I tell them to cancel any ad they have, then they tell me that they will send the final bill if I give my address!:laughing: I tell them that I never signed up for this service then they insist that "someone" in my office did. :rolleyes:

I ask for their address to send the cheque and they ask for a credit card. I insist on an address and they ask whyI want it. I tell them so that I can send them the check through the RCMP. CLICK. they hang up every time.:whistling2:

That's pretty interesting because a month ago I got a call from some outfit that waso offering me a free online listing in their system. She got my info and wanted to get me to accept an offer after that 60 day trial period.

I was bored that day waiting in line somewhere and I made sure that I asked the most bizarre questions. She got the hint at the end.

Another is "YOUR ACCOUNT HAS EXPIRED" notices to recommit to relisting

Those stupid Safety posters that are written like it's a must have....but you follow the print and can't find anything to support it

Those people who call that just don't shut up for 50 seconds straight talking about "You are the only plumber listed in our book" and as soon as you say no? Price automatically drops 20%

Those Telephone book covers? Don't even get me started :censored:

I understand people trying to make a living...we all have to one way or another but the bottom line is you have to have something worth having...and most of the above cannot be gauged most times in doing just that.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I get that one all the time. The items are always different but the rest is the same.

Anyone getting email request to bid on the sale of " 50 gallon electric wate heater 240 volts single phase 4500 watts" ? All describe that the customer will ship them overseas to a hotel or missionary school. They want you to somehow deal with a freight forwarder. There is a scam in here somewhere, probably bogus credit cards, or something fishy with the freight company. Needless to say, we are not going there. Tell them pony up the money, come and get it!

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Tell them to send you a certified check or money order for freight and after it clears, ship them the contents of your dead water heater roll-off... :whistling2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts