Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Phat Cat said:
Kinda like sharkbites? :rolleyes:
Yup

Those seals tend to compress and then over time loose their compressibility leading to a leak

sent from the jobsite porta-potty

Reactions: Phat Cat

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
When I first joined this forum I seen the add for these and emailed them asking for a sample. They sent me 2 out right away! They are similar to a zurn gasket but the foam is softer! I haven't used them yet but I will use one at my house or a freebie job next time I do one to test them. I won't experiment at a customers house.

IMHO the price is to high still $5 apiece is more than plumbers wanna pay to reset a toilet. ALso wax rings work fine why switch?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Mississippiplum said:
Yup

Those seals tend to compress and then over time loose their compressibility leading to a leak

I dont think it could be any worse than a seal on a carrier toilet. One of those zurn gaskets. Actually, it would work better as the seal wouldn't move as much like a carrier toilet does.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Yup

How many of these Sani Seal gaskets have you installed? Of that undoubtedly large number, how many have failed and lead to a leak?

Paul

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
rocksteady said:
How many of these Sani Seal gaskets have you installed? Of that undoubtedly large number, how many have failed and lead to a leak?

Paul
I've seen ones leak that hacks have installed, have I installed any? No, why should I, there's nothing wrong with using a wax ring. Wax is tried and true.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see a lot of H.O. using them. If they do work at all, I'm sure Lowes or Home Depot will jump on it.

I clicked the ad for Nathan. Haven't seen any around here.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
BKPlumbing said:
Radiant heated floors.
I'm guessing the heat melts the wax in wax rings?

·
Texas turd-herder
2,563 Posts
I'm guessing the heat melts the wax in wax rings?

The radiant tubing is supposed to be no closer than 12" to water closets, but how well that is enforced I don't know. I can say that I've reset more than a few closets over the years where HO's put space heaters pointed at the water closets and melted the wax seals, though ;)

I've never run into radiant heating melting wax seals, but I've been out of residential for about ten years...the radiant heating was just catching on down here about that time as I recall.

Reactions: GREENPLUM

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I use foam on a junk load of wall hung toilets and urinals that get an industrial workout. I have never had a problem. I have seen lots of wax rings that have been plunged by.

I don't know how good the foam is but if I get a chance I might put some in at that same mill on their floor flanged toilets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts