Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There are people who spend years studying agriculture and determining the ideal growing conditions. He'd probably be best to get some samples analyzed and then contact someone with a degree to get their opinion on what to do.
He hasn’t had any issues, but obviously wants the best water. I got a referral from my brewing community. He is surrounded by farm land that has been dumped with pesticides for decades. I can’t blame him for wanting good water quality.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
He hasn’t had any issues, but obviously wants the best water. I got a referral from my brewing community. He is surrounded by farm land that has been dumped with pesticides for decades. I can’t blame him for wanting good water quality.
Sounds like he needs good topsoil more than anything. How deep is his well? Is the casing in good shape? Could the pesticides have gotten into the well?

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sounds like he needs good topsoil more than anything. How deep is his well? Is the casing in good shape? Could the pesticides have gotten into the well?
Most unknown to me. He is on an oversized mound system. No idea about the well depth....

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,659 Posts
Thank you all for the info! I’m hoping to get his filter/pressure tank squared away next week at the very least. The softener issue will have to wait until we decide on what to do. I’ve learned a lot in this thread!

I know enough to just get myself into trouble..... I do fine on city water and tame well water no issues
We got well water here in our area that looks like it comes from
the bowels of hell .... I have walked away from a number of wells due to the fact that they looked like more trouble
than they were worth fooling with....and I humbly passed their business on to others in our area who dealt with nasty
god awful stuff ,,, I stay in my lane....

For more informed advice, I think you probably ought to go over to Terry Loves forum and get in touch with
a water softerner guy who goes by dittohead that I have asked a bunch of questions over the years... He sells out of California and has shipped me a number of Ro filters and some small activated carbon filters..
I have one of his RO systems in my house..
Look up his name and start a conversation with him and he will probably reply in 24 hours....
he might even ship you exactly what you need if you want to buy from him
and at the very least he will not lead you astray....

good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's hard to give water treatment advice without a test result from the lab. Based on some of the comments here people seem to do things differently depending on the area. My area is all wells. Nearest public water system is 40 minutes away. So we deal with all types of systems and quality of water. First things first all water softener systems use salt. And they all increase the sodium levels. They replace the minerals that cause hard water with sodium. The alternative to salt systems are water conditioners. They do not remove the hardness but simply bond the minerals so they pass through the plumbing without doing damage to the plumbing. Now in your case it would be important to know what your customer wants his water to be like. If it's a PH issue only then maybe just a nuetrilzer could balance that without a softener. Not sure how hardness is with plantings.
And yes the sodium content with a softener can cause issues with people with heart issues requiring a strict diet. Our solution for that is a point of use RO system for the drinking water and ice makers. The company that I purchase my treatment equipment from offers free analysis and recommended equipment for all different applications.
My opinion is a water test to see what you have to work with and what he wants the water to be like and then offer him up a few options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
........And they all increase the sodium levels. They replace the minerals that cause hard water with sodium.............
Well he could use Potassium chloride at 35$/40lb bag ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Most growers I know use RO water for their grows. Carbon block at the minimum. There are media filters that cycle and backwash.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Most growers I know use RO water for their grows. Carbon block at the minimum. There are media filters that cycle and backwash.
With his operation an RO system would be super expensive! I looked into a whole house filter for my house, over $1k. He would need something three to four times the size.
I had to stop at my supply house today and asked about back flushing filters. Manager says he’s heard of them, but would have to call sterling. Going to call around.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I had to stop at my supply house today and asked about back flushing filters. Manager says he’s heard of them, but would have to call sterling. Going to call around.
For lots of sediment?

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Customer suggestion...
Don't take this the wrong way, you guys need proffesional help. Or at least have him ask a buddy who has the same type of farm, surely he must know someone.

Reactions: OpenSights

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,659 Posts
With his operation an RO system would be super expensive! I looked into a whole house filter for my house, over $1k. He would need something three to four times the size.

Sterling controls are junk and I would steer clear of them stick with Clack
I have not kept up with what you are doing but I buy back washing activated carbon filters all the time
for around 600 bucks... clack control and you just set it to back wash every week
. very easy to install and the 2 cubic foot unit is good for a million gallons...
you can also get larger units than that if you so wish.... its not a big deal to do set up much
larger units if this guy is pissing through a lot of water....

they are very easy to put one together, they just come with a few bags of black carbon
and the tube with a clack control on top.... very easy to unscrew the head and plug up
the distributor with a cork... make yourself a funnel and pour in the carbon from the top

you call this place ---tell them you are a plumber in business...
dont tell them you are trying to help someone with an illegal crop of something....lol
explain to them basically what you want and they will help you out.
and they will ship it to you ... I get my stuff shipped directly to me from them......

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sterling controls are junk and I would steer clear of them stick with Clack
I have not kept up with what you are doing but I buy back washing activated carbon filters all the time
for around 600 bucks... clack control and you just set it to back wash every week
. very easy to install and the 2 cubic foot unit is good for a million gallons...
you can also get larger units than that if you so wish.... its not a big deal to do set up much
larger units if this guy is pissing through a lot of water....

they are very easy to put one together, they just come with a few bags of black carbon
and the tube with a clack control on top.... very easy to unscrew the head and plug up
the distributor with a cork... make yourself a funnel and pour in the carbon from the top

you call this place ---tell them you are a plumber in business...
dont tell them you are trying to help someone with an illegal crop of something....lol
explain to them basically what you want and they will help you out.
and they will ship it to you ... I get my stuff shipped directly to me from them......

His business is legal, but, yeah, trust is the most important thing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
After a quick look at the lab results your good on needing a nuetrilzer. The PH is in a good place. My concerns would be with the sodium and TDS levels. They are hinting that the water is a bit on the salty side. Where I am sodium without a softener should be around 20 looks like yours is 5 times that. And the TDS is double what they recommend. Unfortunately the only way I know how to correct those two is with RO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts