Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A plumbing contractor colleague called this morning to report his van with everything except sewer snake and camera was stolen out in front of his house.
I consider him a friend but for where we live in the S.F. Bay Area it takes an idiot to not know that you have to have an alarm system that disables the ignition and sets alarm off.
He had those massive American van locks, but the thieves broke glass to get in.
No point in telling him how stupid he is. He had $3k cash (he is a slug, non-tax payer) inside it. That was his only money except for $500 on a cash card. No insurance. Pathetic.

I took every power tool out of my van every night for this reason. But, always had inland marine equipment insurance etc...

· Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$hitty..
Did he have security cameras monitoring his property/van?
No, he was really a too often alcoholic broke down guy. Earlier years he did 2 million a year with crew of guys, but never saved and invested. Bad luck, no planning, edgy personality.

· Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
3,080 Posts
No, he was really a too often alcoholic broke down guy. Earlier years he did 2 million a year with crew of guys, but never saved and invested. Bad luck, no planning, edgy personality.
That sucks to be him,
but you can’t worry about others who can’t/ don’t want to help themselves.
“You can ride a horse to the bank but you can’t make the horse open a savings account”
(Hahaha) If he was smart enough to make $2M/a (year) he should have been smart enough to save for his future.

Other then that you can get decent security cameras for about $100 now a days.

· philosopher and statesmen
9,092 Posts
This guy sounds like he is as dumb as chit not to have insurance

I live in mostly a mid west tame kind of area and its nothing like the
chithole that SanFranScisco has become....
Something I still have been wanting to do is install some tracking devices
in my trucks under the hoods..... they are dirt cheap, and are mostly used
to keep an eye on construction sites where people steal bulldozers and bobcats..

With a GPS on the truck I guess in a day
you might get the truck back intact.
The tools and money will be gone but the truck is the big expence
If it takes a week or more to find the truck , the homeless will probably have an orgy
in the front seat and make the cab into a "soup kitchen" ..nice,,,,, :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :poop:

If you are lucky maybe the thieves will get arrested
and then bailed out in a few hours...which will probably just
make them mad at you---

Remember that "Crack Lives Matter" out on the west coast..

· Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He mentioned to me today that he knows full well he was fully at fault for getting so drunk the night before that he neglected to chain his steering wheel up, which he says he normally does. So drunk he didn't plug his cell phone in. He is a danger to society, driving drunk...so he was always one DUI arrest away for getting in bad trouble anyway.
He uses android, but if he had an iphone, a cheap airtag under $50. and he'd know exactly where the van was RTM.

3,080 Posts
That sucks, and it sounds like it sucks to be the that guy- but we all are in control of our own destiny. This guy needs help, he is drowning in the very bottle he’s drinking from.

I have ZERO respect for anyone who drinks and drives. I like to have some drinks but I NEVER drink and drive, not even after a few beers, if you can’t enjoy alcohol responsibly then don’t drink.

my father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 5, the drunk who killed him ended up with a few stitches.

· Registered
4,044 Posts
This guy sounds like he is as dumb as chit not to have insurance

I live in mostly a mid west tame kind of area and its nothing like the
chithole that SanFranScisco has become....
Something I still have been wanting to do is install some tracking devices
in my trucks under the hoods..... they are dirt cheap, and are mostly used
to keep an eye on construction sites where people steal bulldozers and bobcats..

With a GPS on the truck I guess in a day
you might get the truck back intact.
The tools and money will be gone but the truck is the big expence
If it takes a week or more to find the truck , the homeless will probably have an orgy
in the front seat and make the cab into a "soup kitchen" ..nice,,,,, :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :poop:

If you are lucky maybe the thieves will get arrested
and then bailed out in a few hours...which will probably just
make them mad at you---

Remember that "Crack Lives Matter" out on the west coast..

You don't have to worry about anyone stealing your box trucks mark,they don't go fast enough as loaded down as you keep them lololololololo

· Registered
4,044 Posts
That sucks, and it sounds like it sucks to be the that guy- but we all are in control of our own destiny. This guy needs help, he is drowning in the very bottle he’s drinking from.

I have ZERO respect for anyone who drinks and drives. I like to have some drinks but I NEVER drink and drive, not even after a few beers, if you can’t enjoy alcohol responsibly then don’t drink.

my father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 5, the drunk who killed him ended up with a few stitches.
The drunks that cause the bad wrecks never get hurt,never,we had the worst drinking and driving accident in the USA here in ky,Larry Mahoney was drunk and got on interstate 71 around Carrollton Ky driving the wrong way hitting a church bus that killed 26 kids and the bus driver coming back from kings island,Mahoney served 10 yrs in prison

· Registered
2,765 Posts
Right now there are probably 100 bars within 30 miles of me that will serve people until they can’t walk straight and the parking lot is full of cars that these fools will be driving home if they can make it.

The people really don’t want to stop drunk driving or bars wouldn’t have parking lots.

3,080 Posts
I liked both of your comments but I don’t like what they said if you know what I mean.
Respect.

There is a bar close to my home, where the cops wipe clean one of each cars head lights in the parking lot… then they wait..
As the bar lets out or the cars leave-
the cops are waiting and can see one clean and one dirty head light, so they know who to pull over and give a breathalyzer to.

· Plumbing since 1974
Plumbing and light HVAC
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: The van recovered, shell that it now is excepting the shelving: damaged locks, can opener'd side doors and cleaned out except for the fast food wrappers of the wrecking crew. No more details.
I brought him a few buckets of tool doubles that I had from retiring trucks.

· philosopher and statesmen
9,092 Posts
Honestly if the guy drives drunk, I’m glad he got ripped off. I hope it happens over and over to the guy.

We don’t need people like him driving around.

I totally agree with you on this....
he should be off the road before he kills someone...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts