Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I just did another temporary patch job today....

I revived this thread because I Have not run into this for a year or two now but this 3 inch copper was up in a finished ceiling and others had already taken out sections of the line and replaced it with pvc......

of course the home owner re-drywalled the ceiling in this office space and now had to cu tit out again... for the third time

I told him that this was only gonna be a temporary patch and he will probably have to drop the ceiling about 9 inches sometime this spring and basically tear out everything and re-plumb the upstairs bathrooms in pvc...

I have not got a price together for him yet to do this

this is in a pretty mean spot......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EPRA3wYW3lCgrdk32

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4a4H5yAJNL4kar03

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVM8uJ9xRxQaykMo2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pOASwUMoeMqTX0wl2

again, this is a temporary repair

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
I've seen that this summer a 3" rotted copper pipe. The last home owner put plumber's putty in the hole and dry walled and sold the house. The new homeowner wanted it fixed but he didn't want to really pay me because it was not his "problem".

I had to run for 3 days to get paid. I was getting dressed to go knock on his door at 9pm when his girlfriend finally showed up with the cash.

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I've seen that this summer a 3" rotted copper pipe. The last home owner put plumber's putty in the hole and dry walled and sold the house. The new homeowner wanted it fixed but he didn't want to really pay me because it was not his "problem".

I had to run for 3 days to get paid. I was getting dressed to go knock on his door at 9pm when his girlfriend finally showed up with the cash.

the last one I fought about 3 years ago went that way too...

I changed out some rotten lines and was planning on doing more of them but the homeowner said forget it and just finished the drywall off and sold the house to the next person to deal with...

he moved on and bought a nicer house.....

I figure the old house will be calling me some day soon with issues....

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I revived this thread because I Have not run into this for a year or two now but this 3 inch copper was up in a finished ceiling and others had already taken out sections of the line and replaced it with pvc......

of course the home owner re-drywalled the ceiling in this office space and now had to cu tit out again... for the third time

I told him that this was only gonna be a temporary patch and he will probably have to drop the ceiling about 9 inches sometime this spring and basically tear out everything and re-plumb the upstairs bathrooms in pvc...

I have not got a price together for him yet to do this

this is in a pretty mean spot......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EPRA3wYW3lCgrdk32

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4a4H5yAJNL4kar03

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVM8uJ9xRxQaykMo2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pOASwUMoeMqTX0wl2

again, this is a temporary repair
Not enough room for two nohubs? Replacing copper is tricky for sure with the small fittings. We had a kitchen line last week, thankfully it was a simple fix.

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Not enough room for two nohubs? Replacing copper is tricky for sure with the small fittings. We had a kitchen line last week, thankfully it was a simple fix.

I put the second no hub on the pipe because it was probably gonna start leaking there next... and the customer asked me to just go ahead and do it while I was up on the ladder..........

you got any good idea what re-piping a mess like that would be worth to do???

they can drop the ceiling at a good expence, then it can be done much more easlily....

I am thinking 5k...

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
One full bath? Add $1k, especially if inspected. We’ve trimmed 1/4” off of each fitting and inspector passed us. Altering a fitting is bad juju, but outside of the capital we have understanding inspectors.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Full tear out, if not asking for issues. PVC will alter space needs.

Seriously having that area f the floor system cut out and properly headered off at the same time, seriously weakened structure.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
got me another mess today

mean ass spot above the furnace...gonna have to cut the back of the vanity out and re-run the lav drain in the vanity across about 4 foot then drop down into the basement away from the top of the furnace....... cant reach any of this

told the guy between 500 and 1000 to get the job done
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ikkwPzUFQ9Tyqof2

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
Flex seal and done.

Copper drainage is a money maker. My neighbor had a house fire and wanted it plumbed original with new dwv in copper. I heard it added $20k to the bill and she changed her mind.

Pulled a stool today for a remodel with copper drainage. Tested the drop with a screwdriver gently. Felt ok.

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Flex seal and done.

Copper drainage is a money maker. My neighbor had a house fire and wanted it plumbed original with new dwv in copper. I heard it added $20k to the bill and she changed her mind.

Pulled a stool today for a remodel with copper drainage. Tested the drop with a screwdriver gently. Felt ok.
I have said it before , but its gonna get ugly, very ugly--- soon when all this copper starts to rot out sometime in the next 10 years... the chlorine in the city water and all the chemicals are eating away at it.....

I dont care to deal with drain lines in second story ceilings

I think I would rather retire than fool with it....

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I have said it before , but its gonna get ugly, very ugly--- soon when all this copper starts to rot out sometime in the next 10 years... the chlorine in the city water and all the chemicals are eating away at it.....

The biggest issue I see with copper drainage comes from the gases escaping the septic. Rots out the top of laterals making an open troth. I hate those jobs. Kinda makes you wish they made street wyes.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Copper failure is not uncommon. What I had to deal with more is cast iron failure. Either a vertical crack or a horizontal section failing with sewer gas eating the top out.

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·

To bring this dead thread back to life....

a neighbor that shares our driveway rings my door bell
sunday night at about 7 to tell me he has a bad leak coming down from a shower drain in the
second floor bathroom....
So, I go over there and he has already ripped out all the drywall in a lower bathroom
and the copper drain line from a shower base has a one inch by one inch piece just
missing and gone just above the copper trap ... We cut out the trap and install new pvc with a fernco attached
about 2 foot away.... and of course, the rest of the copper plumbing all crammed up there is ready to blow at any time...

They just moved in back in October and now he has a mess on his hands... he is pretty pissed off about it all too
because of other things the original owner did not reveal that have gone bad...
He wants to remodel both bathrooms upstairs and I tell him he better figure on cutting out
all that 3 inch copper and drop the ceilings on the first floor or he
is gonna regret it some day.....
I told him that I hate giving him news like this and being a bummer but he better
get prices to re-do everything or he might suffer some day....

The plumbers back in the mid 60s who soldered 3 inch brass double wyes and other brass fittings up in joysts were talented.....
He plans on getting some quotes for both bathrooms and new pvc pipes throughout....

I am wondering what this will cost him ...
being a neighbor I would rather stand back and watch....

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
To bring this dead thread back to life....

a neighbor that shares our driveway rings my door bell
sunday night at about 7 to tell me he has a bad leak coming down from a shower drain in the
second floor bathroom....
So, I go over there and he has already ripped out all the drywall in a lower bathroom
and the copper drain line from a shower base has a one inch by one inch piece just
missing and gone just above the copper trap ... We cut out the trap and install new pvc with a fernco attached
about 2 foot away.... and of course, the rest of the copper plumbing all crammed up there is ready to blow at any time...

They just moved in back in October and now he has a mess on his hands... he is pretty pissed off about it all too
because of other things the original owner did not reveal that have gone bad...
He wants to remodel both bathrooms upstairs and I tell him he better figure on cutting out
all that 3 inch copper and drop the ceilings on the first floor or he
is gonna regret it some day.....
I told him that I hate giving him news like this and being a bummer but he better
get prices to re-do everything or he might suffer some day....

The plumbers back in the mid 60s who soldered 3 inch brass double wyes and other brass fittings up in joysts were talented.....
He plans on getting some quotes for both bathrooms and new pvc pipes throughout....

I am wondering what this will cost him ...
being a neighbor I would rather stand back and watch....
Cha-Ching there you go mark,moneymaker right in your back door,can't pass it by

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I’ve done a ton of work for my neighbor’s. I charge them material (marked up of course) and don’t charge for time. In return we get to use their cabin a few times a year. I’d give them the price through the books, what you’d charge someone across town. Give them a “neighbor” rate.

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Cha-Ching there you go mark,moneymaker right in your back door,can't pass it by
I got all the work I need. I told him to get prices and ideas from other plumbers on how to approach
this abortion and what they would charge... I know what has to be done but am curious as to what
others would do...

they will have to drop the ceiling a foot and then totally re-pipe 2 bathrooms upstairs and its
not gonna be a cakewalk....

141 - 160 of 167 Posts