Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice "trailer" park Redwood. From the looks of it and from a distance you would think those are homes on slab, and that is the end result of good planning from the community leaders trying to maintain property values of the surrounding homes. We still have some parks around here that need to be torn down. Where those people should go I don't know. 120K is slightly higher than the value of my 1945 built home on a 3/4 acre lot.
Regional value differences aside and back to "hack" repairs. Often times we can make assumptions about what the home owner can afford to do, whether we are right or wrong in our assumptions and make a personal sympathetic choice and in the end maybe not the professional choice. Often times the professional choice doesn't look like a practical choice when what is required is to tear into the structure of the home. Or the customer is perhaps elderly or on hard times and "helping them out" could bring good will/future business from their family and friends. Sometimes the best business choice is to just walk away and leave it to the next guy. It is way to easy to judge from a distance the choices others are making.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
You guys must be talking about stuff like this....

Just gave the customer a bid on repiping it

Now That looks like some fine workmanship with the fernco fittings

that guy improvised and adapted....

I think one or two are enough but 4 clamps in less that 3 feet is serious overkill......:thumbsup:

was the pipe leaking through some new pinholes under that duct tape reapir???

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
You fixed this back in 1993 and now we got to do it again

Good points.... the odds of a second floor stoppage is minimal and rare with 3 inch copper,,but I suppose that it could happen...
A temporary repair is what it is and comes with NO WARRANTY expressed or implied...

I did have this one time back probably around 1993 from a temporary repair,,, the customer let it slide and never got back to me... but after about 10 years I get a call back about a leak.. Thinking it was another .. pin hole.. I go there to find that one of the fernco fittings was leaking on the bottom.....

after a long while the rubber neoprene actually begins to shrink and all that was necessary was to tighten down the band clamps...apparently the silicone did not hold either..

I hold him it was time to make that real repair but have never heard a word out of them..maybe they did it themselves or maybe they used another plumber....that was about 2003.

I did not care or have any desire to do the job anyway because a 3 inch hole through a joyst for copper is much smaller than what is necessary for 3 inch pvc... we would have had to round out probably 10 joysts to get the new pipe to work in that area.....very labor intence and the home owner was a cheap pain in the ass anyway:blink:

and yes my sticker is on their water heater

Believe it or not I finally get a call from this house with the same people still living in the place.. They see a wet spot in the ceiling and feel that I am to blame for the leak because just a short while back I made a "temporary repair" for them... and now its leaking.......

They were supposed to drop the ceiling for more access to install pvc way back in 1993 but never did....... they thought they were gonna sell the house and move on but never did....

I had to refresh their memories how long ago this temp repair was done and they just could not believe it was way back then....

now they only got me to pin the blame on.........

tearing out a whole copper plumbing system above someones living and dining room and going down the wall to the crawl space is gonna be tough...

I have not got a clue how much to charge them for something like that...:blink:

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Believe it or not I finally get a call from this house with the same people still living in the place.. They see a wet spot in the ceiling and feel that I am to blame for the leak because just a short while back I made a "temporary repair" for them... and now its leaking.......

They were supposed to drop the ceiling for more access to install pvc way back in 1993 but never did....... they thought they were gonna sell the house and move on but never did....

I had to refresh their memories how long ago this temp repair was done and they just could not believe it was way back then....

now they only got me to pin the blame on.........

tearing out a whole copper plumbing system above someones living and dining room and going down the wall to the crawl space is gonna be tough...

I have not got a clue how much to charge them for something like that...:blink:
That's why I always dated my work on the jobsite.. our memory gets shorter as the years goes by..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Some 20 years ago, I remember opening a wall once and right on the 4" service weight vent was a card glued to it with the name of the installer (a recently retired inspector) and the date (late 1945).

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
They are to lazy to get there **** together and fix there waste, but the can remember you did a reapair 25 years ago!
actually, I had to remind them when the work was done , they thought it had been in the last decade or less.... My customer files on computer only go back to 1998.. and this went down long before then.

You can always show me the invoice if you still have it in your records but I am not gonna go digging through my old stuff.....
the warranty on all repair work is just one year anyway and you got by for close to 25

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I keep invoices for a long time, but im not digging through them..if you want to blame me for something, you better have my invoice showing the work done that you now claim is my fault...or it didnt happen...

·
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I keep invoices for a long time, but im not digging through them..if you want to blame me for something, you better have my invoice showing the work done that you now claim is my fault...or it didnt happen...

I totally agree with you...show me your receipt. I am not digging through 10 years of crap just to appease someone.

I get lots of folks getting pissed off at me for work we never did. I have plastered my sticker in probably 200,000 homes and we get folks claiming we installed a whirlpool or sears heater for them a short while back and now some home inspector claims its not got good draft on it or not up to code..

I tell them just because you see my name on your heater, it only means I was in your house sometime in the last 40 years.....
Please .show me your receipt

On the original subject I got a 3 inch copper stack to change out in an old apartment building sometime over the next month Not looking forward to it at all.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
a lot of our homes built in OC from the 50's and 60's are needing similar repiping. same homes are starting to need more spam work as well

Do you really think this is what Google's billion dollar algorithm is looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this guy purposely spamming us, or this is a side effect of some marketing, etc?

·
Master Plumber
1,818 Posts
This is a sad excuse for marketing. Something that may have had a slight benefit 10 years ago, however today this type of link building is more likely to hurt your ranking.

Guy has 7 post and has dropped links to his site twice. It's probably not even the business owner, just somebody charging the business owner for links.

·
Master Plumber
1,818 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended anyone guys. Can you tell me what I did? Or didn't do? Plumberkc why can't I mention my site if I'm not allowed?:cry:

You were clearly dropping text with the sole purpose of getting a link for the phrase "water heater repair". Your text didn't fit into the conversation at all.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts