Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are beginning to hit a rash of rotting copper drain lines in ceilings lately.... lots of them....

. the leaks seems to always ocur between brass fittings in the short copper nipples.

We are getting mostly god awful messess in tight ceilings that the customer just wants a temporary seal rigged up to it... instead of literally tearing out the whole plumbing system.....

Basically a fernco clamp cut longways then wrapped on the pipe from brass to brass works with a lot of silicone..,,,,it seems to last 15 years or more

its like they are all starting to pit all at once throughout the city... most of it is about 1964-70 age

is anyone else running into this lately or is it just my turn???

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
We still have some copper drains, but most is gone.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We are beginning to hit a rash of rotting copper drain lines in ceilings lately.... lots of them....

. the leaks seems to always ocur between brass fittings in the short copper nipples.

We are getting mostly god awful messess in tight ceilings that the customer just wants a temporary seal rigged up to it... instead of literally tearing out the whole plumbing system.....

Basically a fernco clamp cut longways then wrapped on the pipe from brass to brass works with a lot of silicone..,,,,it seems to last 15 years or more

its like they are all starting to pit all at once throughout the city... most of it is about 1964-70 age

is anyone else running into this lately or is it just my turn???

Why is the hack repair even an option? Aren't you a professional?

If I can't fix it right I don't fix it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Fix and repair are two different animals. I'm certain we would all love to fix problems professionally! Unfortunately we all encounter situations where the client can't afford the "fix". Today's "repair" will buy lots of goodwill, so that, at such time as the client can afford the "fix", we are their go-to plumber. It's awefully easy to cast judgement from the bleachers. It's a little different when yer actually in that particular game. Just my couple pennies worth.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I live in an area where 95% of the houses are late 60s/70s. All the copper drain arms are going right now.

It pays to be water/mold mitigation certified in this area :yes:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Basically a fernco clamp cut longways then wrapped on the pipe from brass to brass works with a lot of silicone..,,,,it seems to last 15 years or more[/

Hell yea,done this repair many times,with some of these tightwad people you have to do what you can to fix a leak and still get paid,if that was a flat rate job what would these guys quote it at???2000.00????

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Hell yea,done this repair many times,with some of these tightwad people you have to do what you can to fix a leak and still get paid,if that was a flat rate job what would these guys quote it at???2000.00????
That $2k is the show-up charge. There's hazard pay for working with drains, too.

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
668 Posts
A temporary fix at the best.

Signature on invoice acknowledging what needs to be done and that they are turning down the advice.

I have a fairly good track record for selling replacement when copper drains fail. Nice bit of bonus funds from the recycling.

·
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its worth every bit of 300-500 bucks because if you had to tear out the whole plumbing system it would be thousands and thousands of dollars.....

the repair works very well indeed....and in many cases it is literally about the only feasable thing you can do without totally tearing out most of the copper and brass plumbing system .

in my own personal home I have a fernco clamp on the bottom side of a brass 3 inch elbow going to my first floor bathroom toilet...

ther pipe had developed a pin hole.at the copper in the finished ceiling...

Back in 2001 I cut out the ceiling in about a 20x20 opening and made this fernco repair and installed a painted plywood panel over the acess hole with screws for the day when I would have to tangle with it again....

2001- to 2015 ...that aint too bad....

for a cheap asssed ---hack---repair..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I want his job, 300-500$ to split a fernco and tighten 2 clamps. The customer gets their money's worth out of that repair

Sent from my iPhone using PlumbingZone

·
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want his job, 300-500$ to split a fernco and tighten 2 clamps. The customer gets their money's worth out of that repair

Hey, no way....... you cant have my job....:no:
Remember first you got to find the leak, then cut out the ceiling, ect ect...it is just not clamping on a fernco in an open basement on most of these jobs.....

I just did a full day repair on a mess up in a ceiling.....
cut out a copper tub line and lav line going the wrong way full of 50 year old sludge...
.... had to re-route the whole drain line in pvc over to a stack in their laundry room...

and it was a god awful mess... and I should have done a U-tube video...but the cursing would have had to be deleted.....

when they got the bill they told me I was too cheap.....

They are paying you for your knowledge of how to get them out of a leaking disaster dripping down on their kitchen floring from the bathroom group upstairs...tonight.... and they got folks comming for Thanks Giving next week ......do you get it???

They dont want to hear a sales pitch about how they are gonna have to tear down the kitchen ceiling and cut out all their 3 inch copper lines to both bathrooms, just cause its beginning to pit....
and you claim that this is the only way you will help them out...

IF YOU can do the Fernco repair trick for a temporary fix ... Then you are certainly their HERO...

I wish I could post some pics of a few nightmares I have stumbled onto so you could understand and get a better grasp of the situation

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
They dont want to hear a sales pitch about how they are gonna have to cut out all their 3 inch copper lines to both bathrooms, cause its beginning to pit....and that is the only way you will help them out...
Yesssss... That would be called plumbing and would be a reason to call a plumber...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Master Mark said:
Hey, no way....... you cant have my job....:no: Remember first you got to find the leak, then cut out the ceiling, ect ect...it is just not clamping on a fernco in an open basement on most of these jobs..... I just did a full day repair on a mess up in a ceiling..... cut out a copper tub line and lav line going the wrong way full of 50 year old sludge... .... had to re-route the whole drain line in pvc over to a stack in their laundry room... and it was a god awful mess... and I should have done a U-tube video...but the cursing would have had to be deleted..... when they got the bill they told me I was too cheap..... They are paying you for your knowledge of how to get them out of a leaking disaster dripping down on their kitchen floring from the bathroom group upstairs...tonight.... and they got folks comming for Thanks Giving next week ......do you get it??? They dont want to hear a sales pitch about how they are gonna have to tear down the kitchen ceiling and cut out all their 3 inch copper lines to both bathrooms, just cause its beginning to pit.... and you claim that this is the only way you will help them out... IF YOU can do the Fernco repair trick for a temporary fix ... Then you are certainly their HERO... I wish I could post some pics of a few nightmares I have stumbled onto so you could understand and get a better grasp of the situation

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Master Mark said:
Hey, no way....... you cant have my job....:no: Remember first you got to find the leak, then cut out the ceiling, ect ect...it is just not clamping on a fernco in an open basement on most of these jobs..... I just did a full day repair on a mess up in a ceiling..... cut out a copper tub line and lav line going the wrong way full of 50 year old sludge... .... had to re-route the whole drain line in pvc over to a stack in their laundry room... and it was a god awful mess... and I should have done a U-tube video...but the cursing would have had to be deleted..... when they got the bill they told me I was too cheap..... They are paying you for your knowledge of how to get them out of a leaking disaster dripping down on their kitchen floring from the bathroom group upstairs...tonight.... and they got folks comming for Thanks Giving next week ......do you get it??? They dont want to hear a sales pitch about how they are gonna have to tear down the kitchen ceiling and cut out all their 3 inch copper lines to both bathrooms, just cause its beginning to pit.... and you claim that this is the only way you will help them out... IF YOU can do the Fernco repair trick for a temporary fix ... Then you are certainly their HERO... I wish I could post some pics of a few nightmares I have stumbled onto so you could understand and get a better grasp of the situation
The key word for this whole topic is temporary. The repairs you spoke about before sound permanent.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It isn't the customer who knows this hack repair exists... It's you the "professional" who is offering it as an option.

A bad peice of 3" dwv copper between two brass fittings doesn't sound like a huge deal that would take thousands and thousands of dollars to fix. Even if I had to replace both closet sweeps and the joining double San tee it wouldn't be that much. Maybe a 6 hour job max. That wouldn't be a reason to replace all the dwv copper in the home. I don't wanna sit and wait and wonder if one of my jobs will be a call back. I want to feel confidant in my work or I don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
It isn't the customer who knows this hack repair exists... It's you the "professional" who is offering it as an option.

A bad piece of 3" dwv copper between two brass fittings doesn't sound like a huge deal that would take thousands and thousands of dollars to fix. Even if I had to replace both closet sweeps and the joining double San tee it wouldn't be that much. Maybe a 6 hour job max. That would be a reason to replace all the dwv copper in the home.
Yes as soon as you touch it and start cutting each succeeding piece is going to leak as well, it is all tissue paper thin and just waiting for something to disturb it to start leaking plus when you have so many fittings jammed together no telling how much you might have to cut out to get to a place you can splice back into :cry:

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
Rotting copper ... Maybe

A bad peice of 3" dwv copper between two brass fittings doesn't sound like a huge deal <SNIP>

In my years I did not find a lot of rotten copper. But I did find a lot of worn through copper [on the bottom]. Believe it or not that was home owner error. People who do not flush after every use. Be it for water savings or noise in the bedroom at night are the culprits. Now lets talk facts, a adult can pee what a 1/2 pint? Assuming this is done a couple of times -- that becomes a pretty strong solution. Now as water does find it's own level, the incoming corrosive liquid slowly wears a groove in the copper tube piping, as it exits the bowl until it leaks.

Doctor of piping DOP

1 - 20 of 167 Posts