Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
nice and clean..me personally have my doubts about the long term stability of mega press on gas lines, especially any gas lines that bake in the sun to trust a thin rubber seal to last, but time will tell.....

Especially if expansion joints are not put in properly or the proper straps to allow for expansion in summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice and clean..me personally have my doubts about the long term stability of mega press on gas lines, especially any gas lines that bake in the sun to trust a thin rubber seal to last, but time will tell.....
Agreed,
Was told a 20 to 30 year shelf life? And yes threaded pipe will last almost eternity. Labor wise? I used to figure two men, four days for the gas run. Those off sets kill labor factors.
Time will tell if the seals last. Viega has been around a long time and don't see them going away soon. The only leaks we have had were user error.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Especially if expansion joints are not put in properly or the proper straps to allow for expansion in summer.
Proper straps? Is there something I don't know? Open to suggestions. Roof supports and clips is the way I was taught. We use cush a clamps for copper. Will flex in the boiler due to California no solid connections anymore.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Agreed,
Was told a 20 to 30 year shelf life? And yes threaded pipe will last almost eternity. Labor wise? I used to figure two men, four days for the gas run. Those off sets kill labor factors.
Time will tell if the seals last. Viega has been around a long time and don't see them going away soon. The only leaks we have had were user error.

I could probably do 200 ft and off sets in a long day 2 at the most, I use a rigid 300 machine with the quick dies on a cradle, that makes quick work of threading...
whats the cost for the press and how much for each fitting? do you use standard gas pipe or is it special pipe for the mega press?

then how do you take apart a pressed fitting if it leaks for repair or replacement?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Proper straps? Is there something I don't know? Open to suggestions. Roof supports and clips is the way I was taught. We use cush a clamps for copper. Will flex in the boiler due to California no solid connections anymore.

Megapress has a whole section in their 50 page book about expansion. If what you installed is legal where you're at then that's good. But on long runs where are the expansion joints? We over size our pipe straps on gas on the roof to allow for expansion and contraction, so if you are running 2" pipe you install a 2.5" pipe strap or unistrut clamp to allow the pipe to expand and contract.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Megapress has a whole section in their 50 page book about expansion. If what you installed is legal where you're at then that's good. But on long runs where are the expansion joints? We over size our pipe straps on gas on the roof to allow for expansion and contraction, so if you are running 2" pipe you install a 2.5" pipe strap or unistrut clamp to allow the pipe to expand and contract.
The good thing? All of our projects are engineered and city approved. Lol I guess the engineers figured the flex is the expansion joint?
We have done them at expansion joints for garages and breezeways. Interesting about using oversized clips maybe we should swap them out for cush a clamps?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could probably do 200 ft and off sets in a long day 2 at the most, I use a rigid 300 machine with the quick dies on a cradle, that makes quick work of threading...
whats the cost for the press and how much for each fitting? do you use standard gas pipe or is it special pipe for the mega press?

then how do you take apart a pressed fitting if it leaks for repair or replacement?
Sold off my rigid 300, also our shop machine was a rems auto unit. Used the funds to buy the mega dies.
Full set 2 thru 1/2 was 2400.00. Plus the cost of the press.
The bad, it isn't easy to get the fitting off. Nope no way. I've tried the sazall trick per the instructions, but that was a fail.
As for leaks? The only leaks we have are user error. So far I've been lucky.
Pipe is standard schedule 40 T and C, pipe.
As for install? Your pretty dam fast, if there guys can install this run in a long day. Our labor would have been less, but the moved the boiler 50 feet and had to get fittings and pipe supports which is why we went back today. Fittings are costly 55.00 a 90, 95 per tee, 38.00 a coupling. However labor was actually 4 hours for the original run. Another 4 to lay another 50 feet.
Last job I laid 200 feet of 1 1/2 buy my self in less than 2 hours. Straight run no obstacles vs this roof.
I find labor is at least half if not more using the mega press. Ymmv

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
..... do you use standard gas pipe or is it special pipe for the mega press?....

The ridgid reps came to our shop and did a class a couple years ago. We called some other small, local guys to come too because we all play nice(then we held hands and sung kumbaya! jk lolz).

They say they are working on getting thin wall stainless pipe approved for megapress because schedule 40 is way overkill and of course can rust where the seal meets. I think they said in europe they already use thinwall stainless pipe. If they can get it approved it would be a real game changer. Imagine cutting gas pipe with a copper cutter that has a thicker blade. Imagine hanging a 21' piece by yourself.

Personally I am with you right now, threaded pipe is better 90% of the time. And a threaded joint will outlast their oring, not because of the material, the rubber is great stuff, but because of that small contact area and the pipe rusting. If we could use stainless pipe I would switch.

The major thing I don't like with press fittings is that fixing them later on is way expensive. If one joint is leaking than any others close to it have to be replaced too because you don't have enough nipple to work with. I have seen a 3" copper boiler manifold with 8 supplies and 8 returns done in propress xlc. One joint was leaking and cauliflowered bad. At 120$ a tee I would be so pissed if was the guy who bought that house. The boiler was like 5 years old.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The good thing? All of our projects are engineered and city approved. Lol I guess the engineers figured the flex is the expansion joint?
We have done them at expansion joints for garages and breezeways. Interesting about using oversized clips maybe we should swap them out for cush a clamps?

Different methods for different regions, if it passed where you're at then it's all good. Here in Texas it gets really phacing hot on roofs in the summer and a 200' run of steel pipe can expand an extra inch in 120 degree heat. Might not seem like much but imagine that kind of pressure on those megapress joints.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Back in the early 90's I had to run a 2" PSI medium pressure gas line up
the front on single story building 200' across a flat roof and 1/2 way down
the backside to feed a combustion, device that burned the paint fumes
coming out of Industrial paint booth, it left the air clean as new snow
because it burnt the paint fumes, after it got to temperature it became
self sustaining :biggrin: