Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me where in our code it approves the use of air admittance valves? I've been looking and can't find anything. :blink::no:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I can't, it does not specify, but I think there classifying it under 301.2, but i'll get more info soon for you.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
No AAV's in Illinois. Vents do more than suck.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They are widely used here. I hate them. In many cases rough in plumbers have gotten plain lazy and instead of poking a VTR, they leave it for trim guys to cram under a cabinet. I fear the reprocussions from a failed AAV's are going to be ugly. I have seen what happens to them when a kit. Sink backs up into them. the crud from the sink line messed up the studor vents ability to open or close.

At one time, when I was doing new work all inspectors required in residential was one 3 main vent and the rest could be studored. Terrible.

Like every thing else, shark bites etc... I think certain things can have a rare exceptions and can be a useful tool, but it seems like they get taken to extremes and over used and abused and big problems will arise. NOT GOOD.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Like every thing else, shark bites etc... I think certain things can have a rare exceptions and can be a useful tool, but it seems like they get taken to extremes and over used and abused and big problems will arise. NOT GOOD.
I agree!

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
They are widely used here. I hate them. In many cases rough in plumbers have gotten plain lazy and instead of poking a VTR, they leave it for trim guys to cram under a cabinet. I fear the reprocussions from a failed AAV's are going to be ugly. I have seen what happens to them when a kit. Sink backs up into them. the crud from the sink line messed up the studor vents ability to open or close.

At one time, when I was doing new work all inspectors required in residential was one 3 main vent and the rest could be studored. Terrible.

I agree with you here 100%. As curtis said above they are allwoed anywhere here as long as there is one main vent through the roof. I only use them sparingly, I use traditional vents for the majority of my work. Most hacks around here abuse them though and use them everywhere! I once got a call for a laundry pump that wasn't wokring....someone had studor vented it!!! :eek: Totally illegal as it creates vacuum problems and causes the pump to fail! I hate hacks with a passion.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I once got a call for a laundry pump that wasn't wokring....someone had studor vented it!!! :eek: Totally illegal as it creates vacuum problems and causes the pump to fail! I hate hacks with a passion.
Thats nothing! I had a call for a basement bathroom with an odor problem...
It was a Qwik-Jon vented with an AAV...
Good thing it had leaking grommets everywhere to let the stankin air out!
I had to run a vent line up to the attic where I tied it in and seal all the grommets.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree with you here 100%. As curtis said above they are allwoed anywhere here as long as there is one main vent through the roof. I only use them sparingly, I use traditional vents for the majority of my work. Most hacks around here abuse them though and use them everywhere! I once got a call for a laundry pump that wasn't wokring....someone had studor vented it!!! :eek: Totally illegal as it creates vacuum problems and causes the pump to fail! I hate hacks with a passion.
I think laundry stacks may not fly here, they might be one of the only exceptions to the cram them any where you can rule.

I can say that the union plumbers and engineers at a hospital I work at occaisionaly get pretty pissed off when they see them. One of the head guys at the hospital kicked a plumbin contractor off the job when he put a studor vent under a sink in a nurses station in the pediatric ICU. Worse, he had a straight shot to a vent above and chose to cap off the tee he could have tied into quicker that cram a studor vent in under the cabinet.

An ICU for babies is crossing the line with studor vents.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

I agree as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts