Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had your service or installation truck burn to the ground today, how much would it cost you to replace it tomorrow?

I ask this, because 8-10 years ago we were spending about 30K on a truck and putting another 30-35K in inventory and tools/equipment on the truck. So for us then, it would have been a 60-70K hit to replace a service truck.

What about you?
Are you covered for that much loss on your vehicle policies?

One more thought... let's assume you don't have to replace the current truck with one just like it. What would you be tempted to try as a new service/installations truck?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
My boss insures the content of my truck for $50,000.00, I insure the truck itself for replacement value. I may burn my truck to the ground and buy an HHR panel truck.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
83,000 truck
35,000 contents

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Funny you should ask because for some reason I decided to get intimate with the corner of a roof at the restaraunt I ate lunch at today :cry:. Now that's hardly the same thing as a total loss since it really didn't damage the truck but did scrape about 4' of vinyl truck wrap off and pulled some facia off of the restaraunt.

The roof of course is repairable and we've already called Schneider Graphics to find out about a redo of the damaged area of the wrap but your question is timely in my case having had a close call with disaster today.

Obtw, this is my only truck. 2006 Isuzu NPR HD w/Hackney P-2000 box and shelves. Throw in the truck wrap and you are knocking on the door of 50k. Don't know the exact amount on the stock (I'm still trying to get it fully stocked the way I want it from the time I received the truck). Stock, tools, sewer equipment, sewer camera, it's gotta be somewhere around 40k.

I will be calling my agent (again) in the a.m. to find out what the coverage is on the content.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Truck $100.
Contents . . . . lordy, who knows? Right now they go in and out several times a day as I shift gears.

Hopefully, a new box truck before winter, then I'll have a better idea.

And hopefully, I'll find a deal on the truck. Right now, I'm looking at a couple that are about $35k and $31k respectively. The $31k is a 16' box, all-white, 2007 new GMC/Isuzu. Been on the lot for a while and he was trying to push it on me. It's gas. The $34k, which I like better, is the 2008 black special edition Isuzu/GMC with all the chrome. I'd prefer the short wheelbase and shorter box for maneuverability though I just realized my extension ladder is about 6" too long to fit in it. The special edition is diesel. That means a little higher upkeep, but I think I like the diesel better for longevity and resale value.

List on the special edition is about $51k, list on the white one is about $41k. Then I have to hope that I can swing that $700+ payment every month.

The one in the pic is a generic pic off the web, price is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts