Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so overloaded with work (new construction and renovations) that it's not even funny. Booked solid right through the summer and well into fall/winter. And right in the middle of way-too-much comes this nasty piece of work.

This house is super strong, but it's all modern open-plan, and just beams everywhere with no thought given to getting pipes and other mechanical through. No pipe chases - no dropped ceilings - just plain massively difficult from start to finish. Instead of the typical half hour to lay out flashings, this crazy thing took me and the builder/designer all afternoon to figure a way through for the pipes.

Then she (who must be obeyed) decides to have a freestanding bathtub in the master ensuite, on the ground floor (slab-on-grade), with floor-mounted faucet. Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!! :cry: What a headache! The faucet is ultra difficult to form concrete for and to mount and connect to later.

Front view:

Back view:

Beams, beams, undrillable beams everywhere:

The beams even make heating loops difficult. To get the beam they wanted in here they left it flush with the top of the upstairs slab. I was allowed to cut a little notch at the one end to get my heat loops through. Ridiculous!

Downstairs was much more normal for heating at least:

The kitchen sink area is all glass and solid studding, so it's essentially an island sink. Not enough slope to do a barbers loop, so it's an underslab 2" trap with CO's up and downstream.

·
CEO Speedwagon.
1,657 Posts
I think the whining and *****ing is a manifestation of our inner monolouge becoming vocal. I love the impossible challange, as long as the financial rewards are there at the end. Kick it's ash mang.

·
Banned
8,892 Posts
Heh :laughing: Ya, I whine and snivel. Then I go at it and get it done. But I love to whine about it first ya know. :laughing:
Goes with the territory.

I bet laying out the groundwork to line up with all of those PSL's and glue lams was a head scratcher.:eek:

Really nice clean work on the heat loops, btw.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you keep other contractors out of there before they do those pours? You'd think they'd be stepping on that radiant pex tubing, tearing it up before they put the concrete in.
I pretty much have it to myself at that stage. Everyone else is waiting for the slab to be poured and back-framing to be done, and for the plumber (me) to get his above slab DWV in, before they come in. Sometimes you'll get an electrician or a framer doing some little thing, but pex is pretty tough, and they usually step between the pipes anyway. Once the loops are done and inspected (Monday inspection) it gets poured as soon as possible - often the same day as inspection. Vandals could do a ton of damage, but we don't have much vandalism problems here in Delta.

·
Registered
449 Posts
looks like a fun one for sure. I have drilled those LVLs before, with engineers written approval. How many square feet is the house? Not used to seeing so much exterior wood on a house with a 800k price tag around here. Pics of the rough-in, as WD noted, would be nice.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like a fun one for sure. I have drilled those LVLs before, with engineers written approval.
Me too, but we try to avoid it if possible.

How many square feet is the house?
I don't have the plan handy, but the heat loss says 1913 sq ft. Seems like more to me... probably because I've traversed every single square foot on my knees, tying and nailing down heat loops. :D

Not used to seeing so much exterior wood on a house with a 800k price tag around here.
What do you mean? What do they use where you're from? Prices are stupid-high here though - 800K isn't a lot.

Pics of the rough-in, as WD noted, would be nice.
I don't take, or post, as many pics as I could. I usually don't bother for anything run-of-the-mill. I assumed most people don't care to see it. If there is interest I can take and post lots more pics of lots of jobs. I carry the camera pretty much all the time now. And I have TONS of unused web-hosting capacity, so I can post the pics in better quality than if I had them hosted here at PZ (100K jpg limit - what a joke :laughing:)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are a majority of the homes in BC heated by radiant heat? just wondering.
No, not the majority. But a large percentage are, especially here in the Lower Mainland. In cheaper houses, and up-country they tend to do more forced air. When things are slow here we tend to do less radiant and see more forced air. But forced air prices have gotten higher lately, so I guess hydronic is somewhat more competitive now than it was.

second question do you put down any thermal barrier
Well, look in the pics above. You see all that styrofoam under the mesh? There's level compacted sand, vapor barrier, 3" styrofoam, mesh with the loops tied to it and then the concrete slab on top of it all.

Upstairs there's nothing. Just loops on the deck and 1-1/2" of concrete poured on that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What do you mean? What do they use where you're from? Prices are stupid-high here though - 800K isn't a lot.

I don't take, or post, as many pics as I could. I usually don't bother for anything run-of-the-mill. I assumed most people don't care to see it. If there is interest I can take and post lots more pics of lots of jobs. I carry the camera pretty much all the time now.
A house similar here would be mostly concrete exterior and cost about half, unless the finishes are gold or something. Don't knock yourself out with the pics, mostly curious as to how your pipes get tucked away and outa sight.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
800K is more then average in the lower mainland..
Probably so, but here in South Delta a typical new house is in the 750K range. For around 470K to 500K you can buy a rotten, falling down grow shack. :rolleyes: Whatever... I'm a renter for life (unless I move way out in the sticks, where there is no work)... it sucks...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts