Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unstopped a drain Wednesday, but all I did was move the clog downstream. Got called back today and I was pissed. I was able to get an apprentice, so I had him grab the K-500 and meet me at the plant. We pulled a toilet on the 3rd floor and I figured out how to work the rig, and I discovered that if you pull a toilet in a narrow stall, it's a 2 man job. Anyhow, we pop the drain, we are out 105 foot and I discovered that we couldn't pull the cable back. I had to go down to the first floor, open a cleanout, hook a comealong to the cable and pull it thru a 3.5" opening. After pulling a loop of cable out of the cleanout, I was able to pull the cable out by hand. I am extremely stiff and sore. The culprit was a frickin' plastic bottle:censored:

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
You mean a little ol plastic bottle gave you all that trouble? Why couldn't you just tension up the cable and engage the clutch to inch it up the line. I've pulled many plastic bottles out of 3" cast iron lines using only a k-60.

Guess you just had a bad day huh?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Sounds like Girly Man was snakin... :laughing:

I hate it when you have to work hard on a drain...:cry:

I prefer the ones where you just have to sit there for a while running the cable in the pipe so they think you had to earn your money...

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we put it in reverse and engaged the clutch, the weight of the cable in the line kept pulling the cable forward. The Spartan 100 with a retrieving tool would hook the bottle but the retrieval tool wasn't big enough to wind into the bottle all the way. I learned a lesson. The 500 stays on the ground, and goes thru a cleanout. It was 4" cast iron.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
My understanding is the K-500 was discontinued in favor of the K-1500 because the K-500 was too heavy for a one-man operation. It really is more of a plant machine for a large plant where you are not trying to drag it out of a truck and muscle it around. The K-500 is also a much more heavy-duty machine and if a K-500 can't get it you need to start digging.

Mark

Reactions: Protech

·
4,710 Posts
I think the problem is some how in looped his cable in the 4" line. If he was using 1 1/4" cable that was quite a trick.

Mark

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't loop the cable. It's was because we were on the 3rd floor and had about 105 foot of cable out. The machine wouldn't pull the cable back up and neither could we. I opened a cleanout on the 1st floor, wrapped a comealong around the cable, tied off to some structural steel and pulled the cable thru a 3.5" cleanout opening. Once I had some cable out, I was able to pull it by hand.

·
4,710 Posts
I didn't loop the cable. It's was because we were on the 3rd floor and had about 105 foot of cable out. The machine wouldn't pull the cable back up and neither could we. I opened a cleanout on the 1st floor, wrapped a comealong around the cable, tied off to some structural steel and pulled the cable thru a 3.5" cleanout opening. Once I had some cable out, I was able to pull it by hand.
Okay that makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Mark

·
4,710 Posts
I use to use my K-50 in a high rise and you always have to be careful about losing your cable down a long vertical stack and the weight in retrieving a 100' of cable hanging vertically. To be honest, I think a drum machine where you have the cable anchored to the machine is a better choice if the vertical line is more than 20' or so.

Mark

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
I have rodded from the roof of buildings with my K-500 and never had an issue bringing the cable back. Let it do all the work, leave it on forward and hold or push the cable against the edge of the pipe. It will start screwing itself out of the line kind of like an automatic feed. Same goes for feeding the cable in run the machine on reverse and hold or push the cable on the edge of the pipe and it will screw or feed itself into the line.

Which K-500 do you have, they made two of them one had the 1HP motor and the other which I have has a 2HP motor, which likes to blow fuses.

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the K-500 last week in Romeoville. 150' off the ground. Through a roof drain. It pulled back several clogs and finally blasted thru the last one. Are you saying to run it out, to leave it in forward, and step on it to hold it against the pipe? I sure hope so, because you might have saved me a back blow out.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
I used the K-500 last week in Romeoville. 150' off the ground. Through a roof drain. It pulled back several clogs and finally blasted thru the last one. Are you saying to run it out, to leave it in forward, and step on it to hold it against the pipe? I sure hope so, because you might have saved me a back blow out.
You do not have to step on it, Just hold it where the wind of the cable is against the edge of the pipe I usually pull it towards me with a downward force then push the lever down as it spins it pulls itself out of the pipe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts