Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apprentice is wanting to start taking on some of my smaller drain calls to I don’t want.
Anyone have experience with the ridgid K-400? Is it something good to start out with?Basically he’d be snaking kitchen /lav drains and showers.

i started with a K-50 but and still have it, but the sectional cables are a bithch to feed in and out..

Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's really only good for soft stoppages, but the K-400 is a fine machine. Nice and lightweight too. I've cleared 3" mains with it and there are plenty of cable head options for it.

I think it would be fine for 1.5 - 2 in drains.
great feed back, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,228 Posts
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Rolling Gas

Model Z5 Auto Feed
Cleans 1-1/4” – 3” diameter lines up to 100 ft. while running 1/2″ dia. galvanized aircraft wire inner core cable. Built-in drum shaft slip clutch. Upright frame on large 10” wheels with folding handle. Rear bar shields motor and allows for two position operation. Steel guide tube/inner drum. 1/2” x 75 ft. cable standard.
In addition to all the benefits and features of the standard Model Z5, the auto feed version allows the operator to advance and retrieve the cable with the push of a lever. The cable runs through a guide spring which keeps hands off the rotating cable for added safety.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,358 Posts
I grew up using the K-50 Rigid machine for everything except the main sewer lines...
always thought it was the best all around machine for the smaller lines ...
Never liked the idea of lugging one of those monsters into someones kitchen

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
426 Posts
These Are Much Stronger Then Rigid, or General Machines, I know Because I have Used All of These
You want a lot of power When you run into a really grease filled or hard buildup

Retired Master Plumber and Drain Cleaner
Those are good too, though I never really cared for the Electric Eels.

The Colt looks like a rebadged Spartan 100? Great machine. I think the Ridgid had better cable tool connections though. I can't stand the punch pins on the Spartan cables.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
This is post pandemic and Canada..
he’s only looking got clear kitchen and basin drains.

I’m going to see what General has.

General Mini-jetter for sure. Once you get used to it, it's a dream for 1-1/2" and 2" drains. Occasionally 3" as well, did a floor drain last week.

For lav sinks use a piece of 1/4" cable in a cordless drill.

Sewage clogs in 3"/4" pipe need at least a 5/8" cable and an autofeed head.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
$560+ tax in my area. That’s up $200 since my boss sent me to HD to pick one up 15 years ago ish… I honestly would go with the Colt or 100. There are some differences, but both are good machines. I bought a slightly used 100 from a friend last year that has an autofeed. Love it! It came with the Spartan cable, so I’m using that till it wears out, but I really like General 3/8 cable and clogchopper cutters. Awesome for sink drains!
But, as I always say, everyone is different. What works for me might not for the next person.

·
Super Moderator
2,228 Posts
Those are good too, though I never really cared for the Electric Eels.

The Colt looks like a rebadged Spartan 100? Great machine. I think the Rigid had better cable tool connections though. I can't stand the punch pins on the Spartan cables.
The COLT is Made by Trojan Worldwide Inc. in Houston, Texas, to their Speciation's, they look like a Spartan because that is what they wanted, they use their own promantary materials, like they use spun aluminum Drums instead of metal like Spartan all their Models are Interchangeable with Spartan on purpose,

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
The COLT is Made by Trojan Worldwide Inc. in Houston, Texas, to their Speciation's, they look like a Spartan because that is what they wanted, they use their own promantary materials, like they use spun aluminum Drums instead of metal like Spartan all their Models are Interchangeable with Spartan on purpose,
Ask me about the time I couldn’t open a kitchen drain because my Spartan 100 drum failed! Talk about embarrassing! That’s why I charge an extra $25 when the HO or tenant tried acid first.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Now, the downside to plastic drums that Ridgid uses. The first main line I did by myself in Michigan I made sure the drain hole was at the top. What I didn’t know was the drum was cracked 180° from the drain hole. Turned around to find a nice 2”x20’ streak of sewage/cable water on the HO’s carpet. Thankfully the HO was super cool! “I was going to have the carpets anyway.” K750

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Ask me about the time I couldn’t open a kitchen drain because my Spartan 100 drum failed! Talk about embarrassing! That’s why I charge an extra $25 when the HO or tenant tried acid first.
Aluminum is very rust resistant until it ain't.

I like how the plastic drums seem to stay cleaner but I've never had an issue with my steel drums. Just keep them clean and well oiled.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Aluminum is very rust resistant until it ain't.

I like how the plastic drums seem to stay cleaner but I've never had an issue with my steel drums. Just keep them clean and well oiled.
In all honesty, the steel drum that failed on was probably original to the machine. That one is at least 30 years old.

I’m curious how aluminum holds up to acids.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts