Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you run DWV you once in a while run into a joint that leaks under testing. I usually try the "Wipe primer around and wipe glue around" routine. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I have seen people use a heated coat hanger to try to stop the leak. How do you solve this problem?

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
When you run DWV you once in a while run into a joint that leaks under testing. I usually try the "Wipe primer around and wipe glue around" routine. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I have seen people use a heated coat hanger to try to stop the leak. How do you solve this problem?
Cut out the bad joint and replace it as that is the only code compliant repair.

Mark

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
PVC Leaks I haven't had one of those for yeras!!!! Knock on wood!! When I did I just replaced it (Cracked stool flange was the problem) I have seen when a old crew leader of mine use that epoxy putty seemed to work ;)
The only thing I use that epoxy putty for is for my motorcycles plastic farings after a crash.:whistling2:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Ive got a plastic welder we have used on sch 80 cooling process lines for emergency repairs. I have been able to get 12" to stop leaking with it. Expansion and contraction is a problem for bad glue joints even if they don't leak at first. Note, this is just a band-aid fix. We usually go back and cut in a van-stone tee or 90 (whatever was glued in before) and a flange on either side.

From my experience the two major causes of leakage are poor alignment due to improper measurements and being low on glue and too lazy to walk to the gangbox for more.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also when solvent welding you cant use too much glue either. I dip once, do the hub then the pipe. I was always told that double dipping will apply too much glue.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts

Run ABS, of course you knew that already. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I always run a little extra around the edge of the fitting after I hub it up. Call it my extra insurance:thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yes pix from KTS doing PVC, sweet. :thumbsup:

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
How I do PVC

1. Cut the pipe, wipe off burs with my hand (I wear mechanic gloves)
2. Apply Clear Primer to my hub re dip and apply to pipe.
3. Apply glue to pipe and re dip to apply glue to hub (glue is cheaper than a leak!
4. Stick the pipe in the hub and take my primer dobber around out side of hub to help prevent it from sliding out! I still can twist my fitting with out it backing out.

Memo: If you try step 4 when trying to reglue something FORGET about it!!not as forgiving the second time.

I been doing it this way for since I was taught to (long time ago) I haven't have a joint leak for a long time (the only time I have a joint leak if I didn't see the hair line crack in the hub (which only happen once)

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i use my compound miter to cut, and prime the lip of the pipe too. That helps a lot. But my leaks usually come from the last fitting or two. Maybe its because I get tired?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Cut out the bad joint and replace it as that is the only code compliant repair.

Mark
You are correct, I'd never suggest using a shop vac with open pipes plugged and applying solvent to the affected area, that'd be wrong...just wrong!

·
4,710 Posts
You are correct, I'd never suggest using a shop vac with open pipes plugged and applying solvent to the affected area, that'd be wrong...just wrong!
LOL-Wow that would be really clever and I had not thought of that. However, as I know your high standard of work I also know you would never violate the ASTM Standard for making up a PVC joint.

Mark

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
LOL-Wow that would be really clever and I had not thought of that. However, as I know your high standard of work I also know you would never violate the ASTM Standard for making up a PVC joint.

Mark
I've done it once.

Hey, just keepin' it honest here...got a teeny weeper on a 3" tee-wye under a bath group in a basement, had an array of fittings all bunched in one spot with NO room to cut just the fitting out.

I screwed the pooch and I knew it...my solvent was running low with no more on the truck and I decided to chance it and try to stretch it for a last couple of fittings.

·
4,710 Posts
I've done it once.

Hey, just keepin' it honest here...got a teeny weeper on a 3" tee-wye under a bath group in a basement, had an array of fittings all bunched in one spot with NO room to cut just the fitting out.

I screwed the pooch and I knew it...my solvent was running low with no more on the truck and I decided to chance it and try to stretch it for a last couple of fittings.
As penance I am certain you must stay up nights wondering just how long that unorthodox repair will last.

Mark :no:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts