Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
261 - 280 of 332 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,591 Posts
The silly thing is, many people don't think it's worth the effort to buy a used truck for cheap and then co-ordinate having a crate engine swapped in, some minor paint/bodywork done, and the frame cleaned/rust proofed.

I know guys who like diesels have learned this lesson, fixing an old diesel can be a lot less headache than dealing with the new ones held to stricter emissions standards, cheaper too.

The 2014 E-250 I drive was ~15k$ 5 years ago with ~25k miles on it, old rental van. At 75K miles a couple years ago a sparkplug fell apart and took out a cylinder so they put a new crate engine in it and swapped over the alternator, steering pump, etc. for under 7k$. In the next year or so it will get some rust on the bottom of the side doors and rear quarter panels taken care of, shouldn't be too bad.

If the maintenance down time of an old van can be co-ordinated with the plumber taking a vacation it all works out pretty good.
the new deizels are a total hot mess right now with all the emission controls on them. tey will shut down
and only go about 25 miles an hour when the emission stuff goes bad and its hell to get them repaired fast

I had someone today calculate what a new truck worth about 80k would cost you a month for 5 years and it
would cost you about $1600 a month .... not bad and not good neither

you can make a lot of repairs to an older truck for that kind of payment, ....

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
the new deizels are a total hot mess right now with all the emission controls on them. tey will shut down
and only go about 25 miles an hour when the emission stuff goes bad and its hell to get them repaired fast

I had someone today calculate what a new truck worth about 80k would cost you a month for 5 years and it
would cost you about $1600 a month .... not bad and not good neither

you can make a lot of repairs to an older truck for that kind of payment, ....
I guess if a man can afford to buy a 80,000-100,000 dollar truck then you really don't need to be doing plumbing work cause you rich already

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,591 Posts
I guess if a man can afford to buy a 80,000-100,000 dollar truck then you really don't need to be doing plumbing work cause you rich already
That is a very good point..... who in their right mind would shell out 80k to haul around water
heaters and plumbing junk?? One builder goes under on you cheating you out of a small fortune
and the wind goes out of your sails and those truck payments becomes a burden

and that is why I have all used trucks....no monthly payments only
for occasional repairs

·
Registered
Plumbing
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
You don’t need a $80K truck. No one I know uses a box truck anymore and the only reason they use to is because they bought them
Used from Uhaul.

40-50K at most is all you need to spend. I paid 45k cash money. Brand new…..

Water heaters have been a big topic on this thread. I make my money many ways, not just water heaters. Water heaters are a small percentage.

I’d rather auger toilets, repair/replace faucets, rebuild/replace toilets. Etc etc. light easy work.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
You don’t need a $80K truck. No one I know uses a box truck anymore and the only reason they use to is because they bought them
Used from Uhaul.

40-50K at most is all you need to spend. I paid 45k cash money. Brand new…..

Water heaters have been a big topic on this thread. I make my money many ways, not just water heaters. Water heaters are a small percentage.

I’d rather auger toilets, repair/replace faucets, rebuild/replace toilets. Etc etc. light easy work.
You paid 45K for your rig, what do you use? You might’ve said already, sorry.
My company uses 1 ton express vans exclusively, the best for what we do.
Yesterday I swapped a long time customer toilet from their master bath to their guest bath, guest toilet was bad and they are remodeling the master. Took an hour.
My next job was a water heater in the garage across the neighborhood. Nothing extreme to do, and I was gone in an hour and a quarter including hanging out a little bit. Guess which job I made more money on. Way more. Our prices are middle to high middle, too, no gouging.
It pays to be ready for water heaters, and good at getting them done.

·
Registered
Plumbing
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 · (Edited)
I drive a Ford Explorer and pull a utility trailer
🤡. J/k

Ford Transit high top extended 350.

I just replaced another Direct flushvalve for a toilet.
Replaced some water filters
Repaired a break room Delta kitchen faucet
Unclog a lavatory.

This afternoon I have a pvc water pipe leaking in a backyard that serves a she-shed.

I’m a one man crew and I focus on easy, quick hit n run jobs.

Water heaters are profitable but they can also be labor intensive and by the time you buy a truck that you can haul 3-4 in and pay all the added cost associated with that big truck…….it takes the appeal out of hauling around dead weight. If the water heaters location in the home isn’t convenient then help is often needed, especially in higher end homes.
As I said, I work alone typically.

I’ve often went to the job and started the water heater draining and look everything over to see if I need anything special. Then I go get the heater. Usually I’m within 3-4 miles of a water heater supplier of some sort. I don’t care really what brand I install……they all leak.

·
Registered
Plumbing
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
I put the back on one of my new cabinets I built for the van. I cut it a hair big then stapled it to the back of the cabinet then used a router with a flush trim bit to make a perfect edge.

Im so lazy that it’ll probably take me another week to install it. It’s just so damn hot. It’s was 98 yedderday. Maybe tomaury I’ll install it, who knows.

261 - 280 of 332 Posts