Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a bunch of these back when they first came out in a school and a bank a few years back. Removed two more of my installs again today, only two more left out there that I put in. I installed the newer flush valves when they came out too but they were still having major problems with faulty flushing and running. It has been a pain in my side ever since my wholesaler rep talked me into these. American Standard Never Again!:furious:

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I installed a bunch of these back when they first came out in a school and a bank a few years back. Removed two more of my installs again today, only two more left out there that I put in. I installed the newer flush valves when they came out too but they were still having major problems with faulty flushing and running. It has been a pain in my side ever since my wholesaler rep talked me into these. American Standard Never Again!:furious:
What did you replace them with?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the Gerber Avalanche and the Viper. I would like to use the Toto's but can't get them here. The Gerber Avalanche is rated at 1000 grams, extremely nice and powerful for a gravity flush toilet. Haven't had a single call back on them or complaints about flushing. I also like that they use standard type tank parts, unlike the AS crap.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did ya remove the buggers with a sledge hammer? :yes:
Funny you said that, I almost just spit my drink out when I read that because it's true! Actually we did have to use a hammer to remove the seats! I didn't have a deep enough socket with me to get to the bolts for the seats. I always use the SS bolts with nuts. So I told my apprentice (my son) to take the bowl out to the van, shut the door, put your safety glasses on and break them apart to remove the seats! The seats were almost new and the customer wanted them. LOL

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
I was lucky in that the first time I ever installed Champion was the last. Back when I was still doing new con I had a ho who insisted on having 4 of them. He bought them and had them delivered. One of them went in fine the first time. I had to fool around with one of them for about a 1/2 an hour after it was installed to get it to work. The other two were installed, wouldn't work and had to be replaced. I've never touched another one, except to repair it.

Toto is all I sell.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I was lucky in that the first time I ever installed Champion was the last. Back when I was still doing new con I had a ho who insisted on having 4 of them. He bought them and had them delivered. One of them went in fine the first time. I had to fool around with one of them for about a 1/2 an hour after it was installed to get it to work. The other two were installed, wouldn't work and had to be replaced. I've never touched another one, except to repair it.

Toto is all I sell.
Same here the first one I installed that patch they put on the back side of the trapway leaked every time it flushed...
The replacement did too!

Toto for me also!

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I put 10 inside a nuke. They came out 2 months later after constant complaints. I put in Mansfield Quantum pressure assist toilets to replace them. One Chumpion ended up in my house. My 9 year old clogs it constantly. I keep a coathanger in a coffee can next to it. My dookies require a lot of double flushes. As soon as I get a big enough bid job to hide it, I am getting a Mansfield Quantum.

·
Casual Observer
82 Posts
I'm using the Gerber Avalanche and the Viper. I would like to use the Toto's but can't get them here. The Gerber Avalanche is rated at 1000 grams, extremely nice and powerful for a gravity flush toilet. Haven't had a single call back on them or complaints about flushing. I also like that they use standard type tank parts, unlike the AS crap.

Glad to hear this, I think this is what I'm about to switch to.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
As I have boasted often !!! I am a huge GERBER FAN !!!

Cal

Reactions: service guy

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
A

An AS4 I installed last year, with that new flush valve assembly...8 months after I installed it the flush seal leaked.

I took it apart and looked, blistered. I cheated and flipped it over, 5 months and counting. :yes:

It's on a "to-do" list to get those flush seals in my posession since there are a lot of people that have that in their homes now.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
I have never and will never install one, lucky for me, before I knew they were out, I had to repair one, was not able to get parts for the crappy tower flush valve and found it easier and less expensive to just buy a new tank for the customer.

I am very careful and cautious about american standard parts.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Robert,

Ever worked on a single handle, AS faucet from 30 years ago?

Looks like a bolt-on spindle assembly, the allen set screw is actually a pin that goes through the entire end of the stem, and the valve acts just like a Moen faucet; pull out, left to right for hot and cold.

Boy was I the fool today....and it's going to have me back in a supply house tomorrow, again. :(

I'm "assuming" I have to replace that entire assembly, a big hunk of brass but I'm hoping that isn't the case.

I'm really worried about losing the 2 screws in the wall that hold it together. All I have is a miniature packing nut that is leaking, and that won't fix the leak out the tub spout. :blink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts