Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once you lose the art,

it's disappointing like a missed fart.

Before I get free criticisms, Expansion tank will be strapped. those 3/4" DUF's have sleeves *plastic dip tubes inserted 2" into the dielectric nipples* to keep those unions from clogging up. Saaaaaweet.

Customer wouldn't go for the idea of replacing the water heater because it's not leaking. It might be running on 4 cylinders on an 8 cylinder motor but people can't see the efficiency....all they know is it is pumping hot water.

If you look real good at the pictures...there is plenty of job security sitting in that structure. The closet arm is wrapped with 12 rolls of electrical tape, the vertical is wrapped with probably a mix of duct tape AND electrical tape,,,speshal. :no:

This is an "after" picture, not a before. This was 2 repairs done at the same time, the reason why there's 2 pressure couplings on the pipe in front of the pool heater. I should of put my sticker on the pipe. :)

The check valve was cracked because the pool company who winterized it, didn't do their job. Why I got involved I don't know....that was a judgement call on the customer's part.

After I replaced the check valve, I noticed the condition of the pipe going to the left and around the heater and suggested to the customer that he ought to let me take care of that as well, since I had the extrie parts! A good plumber will always have more than he needs, even though it costs more for the materials.

I took all kinds of pictures of what I did yesterday. People like to see the work you do, not just talk about it. A camera is a tool just like the internet is to me. It makes me money, it allows others to see what they are purchasing before they buy. Is it a lot of work? You betcha but I got jobs I did 7 years ago that every now and then, clinch the sale on another job I end up doing.

BAM!!!

Take that home to mama :blink:

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's where years of experience pay off

I do not have a tape measure

and

I do not have a level when I do these types of jobs. Is some of the piping a little off level? eh...maybe. But for the most part I tweak the whole thing in to make everything around it look bad, my stuff look good.

That's one part of my eyesight I have left that's worth a damn.

That damn T&P had a plug in it when I arrived. I immediately told the two son in laws to get it out of there before the water heater explodes. Thankfully the electric was turned off for the winter, given the mother is a snowbird that lives in florida.

The husband died years ago, he was a machinist and this will spur a new topic when I get time. It's a discussion about attitudes of what people do in their home.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats with all the duck tape on that soil stack?

Um....something that a nail or soft, gentle slice of a utility knife will make leak and DAMN! we need a plumber again!~

If I put my hand on it...have of that piping is gone on one side. :blink:

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Beautiful work. I would of done it almost as nice, but not quite that artistic.
Here is one of mine.

Notice the thermostatic mixing valve. I replaced a 120 gallon electric with an 80, which saved a ton of money. Then I cranked the heater up to 140 degrees and colled it down with the mixing valve to 125. The temperature at the upstairs bathtub is exactly 120 and fills up the giant whirlpool nicely.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how in earth do you put in piping without aleast a tape..?? are you trying to say you eyeball the length?:eek:
I'm dead serious when I made that statement. Of course I'll use a piece of copper and hold it by marking by finger placement and then put the cutter to it.

That using the tape measure and using a pencil or marking utensil is just one step that is a pain in the ass when you're running copper. Just roll with it and if it is too long, cut it again. Rarely do I have to cut twice but when I'm working tired I definitely start cutting twice.

I can eyeball a lot better than using a level. I hand bend piping sometimes to get it to look straight as well. Don't always think that everything you put in your hands is uniform...usually isn't.

I wish there were less tools in working with copper but I love the finished product of workmanship when it's done. Thanks for all the comments so far! I'll be taking my second year apprenticeship later this month!~

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I'm dead serious when I made that statement. Of course I'll use a piece of copper and hold it by marking by finger placement and then put the cutter to it.

That using the tape measure and using a pencil or marking utensil is just one step that is a pain in the ass when you're running copper. Just roll with it and if it is too long, cut it again. Rarely do I have to cut twice but when I'm working tired I definitely start cutting twice.

I can eyeball a lot better than using a level. I hand bend piping sometimes to get it to look straight as well. Don't always think that everything you put in your hands is uniform...usually isn't.

I wish there were less tools in working with copper but I love the finished product of workmanship when it's done. Thanks for all the comments so far! I'll be taking my second year apprenticeship later this month!~

I rarely measure either...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Expansion Tanks should always be installed so the hang down below the piping, like Service Guy has his in his picture above. If they are orientated on their side you have an air pocket in there, and on their side or straight up there is a chance that there is air in there that is not letting the water get in contact with the bladder which overtime apparently the bladders dry out and crack, or so I am told.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.flexconind.com/pdf/wh-whv_install.pdf

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/9015-087revDTXT.pdf

http://www.zurn.com/operations/wilkins/pdfs/installation/iswxtp.pdf << *

Might be onto something there Scott.

All of them "show" the downward position. The one I put an asterik next to was one showing the side installation.

My thoughts would be...what is the difference between them and a air chamber that slowly fills over a few weeks? I can understand the pocket of air theory real well.......but that bladder is fully pushed to the threaded port when empty. I don't know what creates the force to move that bladder first; the air or the water in the lines.

We need a video camera inside one of them. Good points taken however.

I've installed them numerous ways.....but most times sideways and top up. Never have I failed an inspection but I'd like to see more info on the method.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Duck ,

Was that main line coming in 3/4" and they immediately reduced it to 1/2" ??

After shots are some NICE work !

Cal

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
The expansion tank can be installed in any position.

I like them hanging down for one reason...

When it dies and it's full of water the tank is a lot less messy when it holds onto the water while your taking it off...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts