Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three weeks ago went on a call where the ho replaced him outside FF faucet, turned out it was too short and he only a few threaded screwed into the adapter, this had leaked water into the wall and got his nice white carpet all wet, after installing the correct length hose bib told him he needed to have the carpet and wall cleaned of any water damage, so I referred them to ServiceMaster Clean, a fire and water damage company, they do use us when they need a plumber, well come to find out that they will buy you a free dinner for the referral, a $50 gift certificate at restaurant of your choice, they do it for each referral you send them and that they land, I never knew this about that company, but now that I know, you can bet I'll give them a referral when I come across such jobs. :) So they asked me what resturant, and I said Outback, :yes: :) got the gift certificate in the mail today. :) Boy I am hungry now. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea makes me want to find that next leak in the wall, sorry you don't get what they give us here.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Yea makes me want to find that next leak in the wall, sorry you don't get what they give us here.
It's okay...

When I realized there wasn't something in it for me I pitched them in the dumpster outside the shop...

Nothing goes on my truck that doesn't benefit me...:laughing:

I'm not fattening up the boss...:furious:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to call ServiceMaster and tell them where I wanted to go, after my office told me to call them. They sent the certificate to me directly in the mail, this way I know I was rewarded directly. :)

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I got 300.00 from them, the first and last time I used them. They also royally pissed off the customer by charging him alot of money "for nothing".

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
There are at least 3 or 4 restoration companies here that have sent me things soliciting my referals. They range from $100 - $250 for each referral. $50 gift certificate would probably yield zero referrals here.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Just wait until you are the victim of one of their bills and you may think twice about recommending them

Mark

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Just wait until you are the victim of one of their bills and you may think twice about recommending them

Mark

yup! servicemaster is here but there are also a few competitors. one of their rivals offers $400 to the plumber that refers them to a water damage claim that they end up selling. they roll the insurance companies and pass the savings on to you. :no: it all catches up in the end.

paul

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
You have to figure if they have an extra $400 in an invoice to kick it as a referral they are charging way too much. I have seen Service Master bills in the tens of thousands for simple extractions. When they "roll the insurance company" they are also rolling all of the premium payers.

Mark

Reactions: Hyper Piper

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What ever, I will still accept the gift.

·
40 Posts
We had a few fire and water restoration cos. try to offer 'gifts' for referrals. :no: If we refer a company, it is because we believe it will be in the best interest of our customer.

Now, if it's a company we want to refer anyway and they want to send me a free dinner, I'll accept.

On occasion, we have given gifts for multiple referrals. The person had no idea they were receiving it and it was not big enough to sway someone to keep using us. It was a sincere thank you - nothing more, nothing less.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had a few fire and water restoration cos. try to offer 'gifts' for referrals. :no: If we refer a company, it is because we believe it will be in the best interest of our customer.

Now, if it's a company we want to refer anyway and they want to send me a free dinner, I'll accept.

On occasion, we have given gifts for multiple referrals. The person had no idea they were receiving it and it was not big enough to sway someone to keep using us. It was a sincere thank you - nothing more, nothing less.
We refer them only cause they use us when needed.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Good companies flock together. We exclusively refer some contractors and they do the same for us. For some trades, we recommend 2 or 3 companies.

Then there are the other trades where we don't refer anyone because they are all bad!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Second referral sent to them, and were gong to Applebees this time.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I say they send work our way. I love a free meal.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
There's a few of these companies that absolutely despise me, wouldn't recommend me even if I could save their life. All because they don't respect my mailbox, and the litter they throw in it.

That BBB complaint of one company I went after brought on a quick STFU compliance that they've followed ever since I wrote it, and it was harsh. Very true/factual statements that nailed them hard.

ServePro would backstab you in the next room where you're working...I've seen them do it. They would stop by my shop unexpectedly, always interrupting me at what I was doing.

Some dude showed up in a fishing hat, green shirt and sandals...WTF? Whassup gilligan? I asked for his "gifts" and told him thanks for bing my free stationary source. :)

Called them up a few times asking for more free stuff, I ran out, and I got listed on the do not call, visit, spend money on list from there on out.

I miss those big, thick scratch pads o so much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts