Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If it was me I'd tell them to keep it and I'd just rebuild it. Since you know it's a chicago faucet brand you could email them the pic and find out what seats, or at least the thread pitch you'd need.

But since you don't have much experience just replace it. The T&S will be slightly more durable and easier to get parts for. I assume the new CF you're looking at will be the quaturn stems which are really good too but don't take standard washers. The T&S can be upgraded/bought with ceramic stems. If there are no valves for just this faucet I'd suggest a model with integrated stops so you don't have to shut the main next time. The complete replacement T&S stems come with new handles, something that often fails on all faucets because people crank on them.

I'd go T&S.
Chicago faucets are better quality than T&S IMO,they are very hvy duty

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Why not replace the whole faucet?
T & S, Chicago, Kohler or American Standard all make pretty sturdy mop sink faucets.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why not replace the whole faucet?
T & S, Chicago, Kohler or American Standard all make pretty sturdy mop sink faucets.
I normally give the customer that option and recommend it if it looks really old or in bad shape. If the faucet is not too old and otherwise looks good then I give them the option to replace but recommend a simple repair. I just want to make sure that I as a professional licensed plumber can actually give them the option to repair so I don't look like a money grabbing scam artist.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Offering to repair is good as long as you follow with your honest professional opinion.
Since you mentioned your hesitancy concerning a seat replacement option, a new washer
may not last as long as your warranty.
I just took another look at the faucet. Between the missing cap and overall wear, I'd say replacement
serves the customer's interests best.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I normally give the customer that option and recommend it if it looks really old or in bad shape. If the faucet is not too old and otherwise looks good then I give them the option to replace but recommend a simple repair. I just want to make sure that I as a professional licensed plumber can actually give them the option to repair so I don't look like a money grabbing scam artist.

Looked at a new customer’s Delta kitchen faucet today. I wasn’t there for that though. She said it’s about 10 years old. Told her it’s borderline on age, but she can get parts for free if she finds the model number, or I can just replace it. The goose neck is starting to pit. Told her to tell Delta her plumber said that she also needs both stems too.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Chicago faucets are better quality than T&S IMO,they are very hvy duty
I won't argue with that when we're talking about this particular style of faucet with an all cast body, otherwise I'll pick a deck mount T&S over a widespread under mount CF. But that's really not a fair comparison. I like T&S stems better because they take standard washers and the complete stems come with new handles. I find the water usually corrodes the parts before people can break them making their physical durability a mute point.

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

They are gonna think that way about you anyways so why not become it and make money lolololo

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I won't argue with that when we're talking about this particular style of faucet with an all cast body, otherwise I'll pick a deck mount T&S over a widespread under mount CF. But that's really not a fair comparison. I like T&S stems better because they take standard washers and the complete stems come with new handles. I find the water usually corrodes the parts before people can break them making their physical durability a mute point.
I like T&S also,put a ceramic disk stem in a T&S faucet and it will dang near last forever

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I like T&S also,put a ceramic disk stem in a T&S faucet and it will dang near last forever

Also, the T&S stems have check valve options to prevent cross connections, with a utility sink that can be a deal maker. Unless the CF comes with check stops.

Reactions: Plumbus and sparky
21 - 30 of 30 Posts