Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had always thought being a plumber would be pretty much recession proof, it is not looking good here, :no: were at a snails pace here, I hope it don't last long. Not worried yet, I do/will have a savings reserve to keep me out of trouble, but that will only last for so long. I don't know guys, I have never seen it this bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
People love a deal when things are tough, have a recession busting sale, drop your prices by 20%, offer a free plumbing inspection. The big stores do it all the time. People flock to liquidation sales thinking they are getting a bargain, but its a different company running the sale than the company going out of business, they mark everything up 100% then mark it down again 50%. Perceived savings, if people belive they are saving they will buy.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only bad thing about that is, it's not my call, I don't own the company.

Reactions: Wethead

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Keep "beating up" homeowners and DIY'S and see how that helps in this recession.

I know, I know, "I" am a complete moron for being nice to DIY ers.......anyhow

·
Banned
913 Posts
The recession is lasting longer than they predicted and the cuts are deeper than most realize/realized.

We are making the most of every call and trimming our overhead costs to be affodable to the majority. We cannot hope to stay in business and get sloppy with costs.

Example of something we did to keep profits up and costs down for the consumer. Water heaters are now ordered in larger quantities - negotiated w/ supplier 60 days before payment is due and still get our 2% discount for paying by the 10th of the second month. We passed the savings along to our customer and our profit is the same.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I know its called a "depression" because the economy is depressed, but "depression" has that darker meaning that fully applies to our situation.

It doesn't matter if reality says that 90% of Americans are doing just fine, depression demands we focus on that 10% who is scraping by. Its the consumer who needs uplifting, not us.

We need to uplift the consumers---our consumers of our luxury service---every chance we get. From the front office to the plumber, everyone has to give 110% to the consumer, no matter how depressing that is or how depressed we are.

(Why should I care about DIYers? They have never been nor will ever be my customers)

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
People love a deal when things are tough, have a recession busting sale, drop your prices by 20%, offer a free plumbing inspection. The big stores do it all the time. People flock to liquidation sales thinking they are getting a bargain, but its a different company running the sale than the company going out of business, they mark everything up 100% then mark it down again 50%. Perceived savings, if people belive they are saving they will buy.
:no: Unless you direct mail to your existing costomers, how will they know your taking 5-10-20-75-100% off your prices? Also (role playing as a HO)how is it that you could afford to give such a deep discount now that work has been slow for every one? Have you been ripping me off all along? I like the free plumbing inspection this shows added value to each call unless I can smell the cheapness/ car salesmen coming out.
I personally like coupons you can make them very specific, or general, but lowering your price with out some reason-- lower warrenty, cheapper materials, winning lottery ticket--- means that you have lowered the value of what it is that you do, and therefore why shouldn't the costomer expect lower cost on this task or the next, this call, or the call you'll get next year. BE CAREFUL.
Sales are all gimicks. They are designed to act as "chum".

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
How Are things

The recession is lasting longer than they predicted and the cuts are deeper than most realize/realized.

We are making the most of every call and trimming our overhead costs to be affodable to the majority. We cannot hope to stay in business and get sloppy with costs.

Example of something we did to keep profits up and costs down for the consumer. Water heaters are now ordered in larger quantities - negotiated w/ supplier 60 days before payment is due and still get our 2% discount for paying by the 10th of the second month. We passed the savings along to our customer and our profit is the same.
I like this. There is a solid reason for this discount. Make sure all the tech.s know this and that they feel free to share it with the costomers. I as a HO would like to hear that my plumber was genuinly thinking and caring about me.
Have you made any other cuts? Personell, benefits?
Also wanted to check back to see how the Flat Rate was going???

·
Registered
212 Posts
The main thing a skilled plumber can do to stay busy in any recession, (I've experience 3 big ones in my working carreer) is be adaptable, trainable, teachable, at any working age. If new construction is slow adapt to service work, if medical plaza's or hospitals are expanding in your area go get certified in medical gas. If plumbing is slow adapt to pipefitting, even hvac companies will hire plumbers to run their wet piping if they are short handed. I know its real tough out there this time around, but keep yourself more marketable than the next guy and the advantage will be yours!:thumbup:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
The main thing a skilled plumber can do to stay busy in any recession, (I've experience 3 big ones in my working carreer) is be adaptable, trainable, teachable, at any working age. If new construction is slow adapt to service work, if medical plaza's or hospitals are expanding in your area go get certified in medical gas. If plumbing is slow adapt to pipefitting, even hvac companies will hire plumbers to run their wet piping if they are short handed. I know its real tough out there this time around, but keep yourself more marketable than the next guy and the advantage will be yours!:thumbup:
I believe I'm adaptable, trainable, teachable, and at working age. But, my problem is, I have trouble motivating myself when I know I can't do it 100%. When I get involved in other things I'm immediatly torn away as soon as a service call comes in or some one calls for a bid. It's not that there is no work, it's just real up and down. IE;
Mon.=$1700.00- day
Tue.= $700.00- day
Wed.=$ 900.00- day
Thurs.= $600.00- day
Today looks good but won't know for sure till we close the book on it.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
Its not that plumbing has to be recession-proof, its we that have to be recession-proof.

Watch your spending and lifestyle choices and everything will be OK.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Its not that plumbing has to be recession-proof, its we that have to be recession-proof.

Watch your spending and lifestyle choices and everything will be OK.
WTF, WTF am I suppossed to do with the new Farrari I just parked in the drive??:cry:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I once heard a plumber/ shop owner say "I refuse to participate in this here recession." Whacha think about that???

·
Banned
913 Posts
I once heard a plumber/ shop owner say "I refuse to participate in this here recession." Whacha think about that???
I think it has merit and I read it in one of the trade publications. Part of the recession is between the ears. If you buy into all the negativity, you can be paralyzed into waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Some shops will go under. I choose to pursue my dreams by waking up and working hard at it.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I think it has merit and I read it in one of the trade publications. Part of the recession is between the ears. If you buy into all the negativity, you can be paralyzed into waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Some shops will go under. I choose to pursue my dreams by waking up and working hard at it.
That sounds good, but I read (and this may sound a little pesamistic here) "adapt or die"

·
Banned
913 Posts
That sounds good, but I read (and this may sound a little pesamistic here) "adapt or die"
When conditions change, you do have to adapt. I do agree, those who are slow to react may 'die' (go out of business).

Ex. Service Guy who agrees with the diagnostic fee that you fight for has just discovered he can make money by showing up and trusting the HO. So, in a way, he has adapted. When things turn around and people are less skittish, he may very well go back to using this as a tool to weed out the tire kickers. In the meantime, he is having great success.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
When conditions change, you do have to adapt. I do agree, those who are slow to react may 'die' (go out of business).

Ex. Service Guy who agrees with the diagnostic fee that you fight for has just discovered he can make money by showing up and trusting the HO. So, in a way, he has adapted. When things turn around and people are less skittish, he may very well go back to using this as a tool to weed out the tire kickers. In the meantime, he is having great success.

What does said plumber do with existing clients adapted to paying for every min. of said plumbers time??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts