Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Water Road surface Composite material Gas Automotive tire

We believe we were significantly overcharged. Wondering if anyone could ballpark an estimate based on the following information and photos - please suggest "reasonable amount" and double it. This is in California. Work took 3 days to
Gas Human leg Road surface Composite material Flooring
Brown Wood Tints and shades Composite material Brick
begin after initial call so not exactly urgent, but maybe 4-5 hours of actual work. Thanks for any input.

Question: How much would you charge for repair of a baseboard nail hole on the blue tape, 1 1/2+ inches above grade slab? Noted, close to other black plastic pipe if that matters. Please give me "reasonable" estimate, and double it! I'll post the rest of the story this weekend , just need to determine reasonable cost.
Thanks!
Floor Flooring Gas Paint Human leg
Brown Wood Tints and shades Composite material Brick
Gas Human leg Road surface Composite material Flooring
Water Road surface Composite material Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you want the amount doubled?
Good question, just trying to determine a fair amount to repay. Double is probably going to be half of actual charge, so trying to resolve and seeking professional judgement on work. Just looking for something remotely fair
You need to call the plumber that did the work and work it out with him.

Ask yourself: how much is having water and sewer worth?

Did you sign a contract with the plumber?
[/QUOTE]
Good question, just trying to determine a fair amount to repay. Double is probably going to be half of actual charge, so trying to resolve and seeking professional judgement on work. Just looking for something remotely fair
You need to call the plumber that did the work and work it out with him.

Ask yourself: how much is having water and sewer worth?

Did you sign a contract with the plumber?
They bid as underground leak and corrosion as the cause knowing it was a baseboard nail. Just looking for reasonable estimate doubled to determine something fair. Their corporate offices say they can't help and the franchise has doubled down on falsified invoices while threatening collections and mechanics lien. Both of which may be triggered soon. Just looking for estimates based on pictures shown, there is no other mystery to the project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should have signed a work authorization or some thing with pricing on it. Did you sign that?

You clearly have the trouble reading fine print and following rules.
LOL - I'll share that in full this weekend. No, fine print wasn't available. Just looking for your stupid high bid for such work. Thanks

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,357 Posts
“Double is probably going to be half of actual charge”

Wow, i ain’t never done learned math…
But it t looks like a nail hole in a copper pipe, I’d charge you about $35 to fix it. Whatever that is Doubled I don’t know.

What’s with all the biding, corp office and franchise BS? it would take about 5 mins to fix this with “copper pipe- pin hole glue” you’re wasting all this time online when a quick trip to you local big box store is all you need to do.

If you want to waste some more of your time, go after the guy who installed the baseboards and plumber who didn’t use plates to protect the pipes, then Get them together and have the argue about who’s fault is it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
“Double is probably going to be half of actual charge”

Wow, i ain’t never done learned math…
But it t looks like a nail hole in a copper pipe, I’d charge you about $35 to fix it. Whatever that is Doubled I don’t know.

What’s with all the biding, corp office and franchise BS? it would take about 5 mins to fix this with “copper pipe- pin hole glue” you’re wasting all this time online when a quick trip to you local big box store is all you need to do.

If you want to waste some more of your time, go after the guy who installed the baseboards and plumber who didn’t use plates to protect the pipes, then Get them together and have the argue about who’s fault is it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
👍 Thanks. Appreciate your time, input. We're being charged thousands, doubled, for the repair. So finding reasonable multi thousand dollar number that isn't grossly excessive is our goal. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still seeking input from others on double the fair price for the repair. They are demanding $7,800, more than $1,000 per hour. The pictures say it all. Will share the rest of the story this weekend, but input on double fair price still needed. Thanks

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
426 Posts
Doesn't the People's Republic have all sorts of consumer protection laws you could leverage?

If you want to fix it yourself, cut open that manifold and pour 37 drams of hydraulic cement into each copper line. Left it seek the pinholes for around 5 hrs, then reconnect the copper and turn the water back on. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Usually I propose replacing the entire house for $1,000,000, which usually can be done for less than $1,000,000. Usually I make good money and the customer knows 100% the problem is gone. Win/ win. But now with Biden's inflation....................

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
LOL - I'll share that in full this weekend. No, fine print wasn't available. Just looking for your stupid high bid for such work. Thanks
So, is this like a Paul Harvey thing? We get to know the rest of the story this weekend? Oh god, I can’t wait for this!

Ever notice how when you call someone’s work product “stupid,” you get exactly what you want…. For free.

Pure genius; this one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, is this like a Paul Harvey thing? We get to know the rest of the story this weekend? Oh god, I can’t wait for this!

Ever notice how when you call someone’s work product “stupid,” you get exactly what you want…. For free.

Pure genius; this one.
Sorry if it came across that way, certainly not the intent. Was simply conveying that I'm looking for what professionals would view as an extremely high estimate for such work. (ie. stupid high bid)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what repair was done? spot repair? any demo below grade? if it was simply a spot repair (cut out hole plus some extra pipe) then 7800 is astronomical. I also work for a franchise plumbing company. if they did more, like rebuild the entire manifold then it might not be so ridiculous. also, did they solder or press the copper pipe? that a significant cost difference. i think you may have left out some critical information to receive a proper response. also it will depend where in California you are located. In Orange County you can expect to pay anywhere from $600-$1500 for a spot repair. for a full manifold rebuild you could expect a price of $1200-$2700. and believe it or not, in California the age of your home can cause the price to be higher. may require asbestos testing or abatement or the use of a "safe-cut" method.
Very helpful. So yes, the repair was done and he did go below grade, dug out ~1.5 cu ft. The nail hole was just a bit over 1.5 inches above grade (was digging even necessary) and he replaced the right section with the two drops using coldpress. The home is 22 yrs old, w/ water softener in Elk Grove, CA (Sacramento County).

Here's the detail, we're trying to determine what is reasonable for this work.

On a Saturday a few weeks back we heard a leak, turned the water off and called xxxxx. The young man came out to look at it and said he needed to go to Home Depot for supplies. When he got back, he said he'd need to come back Sunday with his project manager. So we were good for Saturday night with the water off and assumed it would be fixed on Sunday. Sunday morning, he called to apologize and say that his project manager wasn't working that day and promised that they would make us the first job of the day for the crew Monday at 8 am. He repeated that he was sorry for the inconvenience, knew we were leaving town in a couple days and that the after hours fee from last night would be waived and he would make sure we get a discount since we had to wait. Monday, no show, no water, wife called and they told her that she should have never been told that someone would be there at 8 because they don't do appointments. The person said that someone would be there by 1 pm. He came out around just before noon, and we assumed they would start the work first thing, nope, he said he needed the project manager and left. So they came back that afternoon when I was at the dentist office and then I had to help a friend so I got home after 5pm. So they get my wife to sign an estimate for $7,800. Now mind you, it's now Monday night, we've been without water for three days, we're leaving on vacation for a week Wednesday morning and are hoping for water to wash before we go. I'm livid when I get home, I'm thinking, how on earth can it possibly cost $7,800, and why is it still not fixed? Okay I guess, trusted xxxxxx, maybe it makes sense? They've been talking to our insurance adjuster, they told her it was caused by corrosion and they told my wife they may need to trench clear across the closet to our shower..well maybe??? I was still so livid, it didn't sound right, but if pipes are corroded and failing, trenching needs to be done, work order was for "Underground Water Leak"...so maybe?...NO. My wife was in tears saying, I just want water and we're leaving for Michigan in a day. It was 6 pm on Monday and I'm ready to pull the plug on everything, and she told me, they are already coming at 8 am tomorrow, and she said just let them do the work tomorrow, we need them to do a good job.

So really, not caused by corrosion and not an underground water leak. Seems they oversold this job complexity and endlessly squeezed us until they were the only option -- we were leaving town for a week and needed irrigation. One plumber job in maybe 4 hours and we had water a little after noon on Tuesday. Just seeking professional judgement on reasonable range for such a job.

Thanks again for the information everyone - hope you enjoyed the humor of this saga! :D:( Appreciate all of the trades and challenges now. Thanks for the input.

PS - Worth noting, I had a contractor in there last week. He looked at the unfinished concrete and asked if a plumber did that. I laughed and said, you don't know half the story. I said, see that pipe right there, give me a quote to replace it and double it. He laughed, I guess $1,800-$2,000 then laughing. I said, how about $7,800? Then I went on to tell him how when after xxxxxx left, I'm hearing water running again...! Oh no, what's going on? Well, turns out the xxxxxx plumber left shavings in the pipes when he did the work so I turn the toilet off. After vacation I figure out I had a 1cm sized copper shaving (pictured), sitting right on top of the toilet intake valve making it leak. Very, very frustrating experience.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Composite material

This is the finished job. Plumber had left.
Finger Gas Circle Ball Thumb

1 - 20 of 39 Posts