Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I can start on Friday. He was heading up north Friday morning and we noticed the front end of the cube was acting strange, so we dropped it off at our mechanic Thursday after work.

Friday he heard from the mechanic, $4500 because an e550 is such a rare truck. We also need glow plugs and injectors, which I guess is a big job on a 7.3. So he started looking around for a new truck.

Saturday he came down with some nasty flu or something. Got home Sunday night and called me Monday morning as I was going to pick him up to get the cube. He called in sick.

So this morning I dropped off my truck and picked his up because he had no balance due. So our first job was two rentals for one of our LL's and replaced a hose bib at his personal house. First one had to be rescheduled, second one was easy. At the LL's house it was a late 70's Mansfield hose bib and the flange had been covered with a rock siding. So we decided to see if we could rebuild it. I pulled the stem out and he hopped into the truck, grabbed the parts bin and went to hop down. He slipped on the wet floor and step and landed on his left hip and shoulder.

He's in his late 50's, so he's no longer made of rubber. He has almost normal range of movement, but can put very little weight on that side.... but we all know he's not hurting as much as he will. So he dropped me off at my house so I can jump in my work truck to do a job.

I'm really worried about him. The truck is a financial issue that is just inconvenient, if he cracked a hip or something, that's not good. He's a tough old *******! When he burned his hand with the double touch this summer it hardly effected him and he not one time whined or *****ed about it!

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Good luck to you & crew.

I know about pains. Just turned 60 today. I have a full knee replacement,7 years ago, another to remove scare tissue 3 years later. Can't ever kneel on that knee again on a hard surface.

One shoulder repair, 25& rotator cuff tear, bone spurs, spurs tore tendon. Repaired these about 3 years ago. Still good.

Last year June, a full reverse shoulder replacement on the other side, cut and reversed bone attachments. Semi healed never more than 25 lbs. lift on that one again.

Superman syndrome lost at about 45 years old. At least know when I go, my wife can cash in on the Titanium scrap.

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do none of us ever listen to the older generation when it comes to not overdoing it?

He's been told he needs both knees, came down last year with arthritis in both hands and wrists.

I had a major knee injury at Pensacola waiting to pick up school. I never went to see the Corpsman because I would've been dropped to barracks support. Three mile run every other day and weights or formation PT the other days. Picked up school two weeks later. Tendinitis in boot camp. My one knee is surprisingly doing good, but I do baby it. Cracked a rib once. They all remind me every so often.

Just got the call! They don't believe he fractured anything, just severely bruised bones, six weeks minimum if he did. Thank God! He's on crutches, has to stay off it for the rest of the week. On crutches, probably light duty for quite some time. This week we had almost nothing but big all day jobs that we both would have to be on. Going to do a shower valve next door to his house and check on a sewer smell at the house with the septic under the living room. (They had originally tapped the masurated line from the temporary trailer house directly into the leach field, so I doubt I can do anything about it.

Have an 11 unit that I can work on other then the commercial heater, rough and finish a dental office that has to be finished next week, ain't happening now.

I'm relieved, going to hurt our work pace, but not as bad as I thought!

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,396 Posts
I hope he is gonna be ok...

but that 550 7.3 deizel truck is another issue...

We had a 2000 7.3 and they cost a fortune to work on and the last time it cost us a lot of money and down time for the injectors.... had to beg the mechanic to get his ass into high gear on it....

also had an high pressure oil pump on the thing that cost about 2k to change out too....good times

I just gave the van away to some relatives who seem to think deizels are great so its their problem now...I gave them fair warning but they seem to love to work on that motor... Stinks to high heaven and it ..needs new tires, ------ ect ect

I Wont have another deizel--- I went and bought a 2006 14 foot Uhaul ford truck for our spare ....

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two or three years after he bought it new, still under warranty, the king pins went out in it. Dealership had it for three weeks. This was back when he had 8 guys and 5 trucks, now it's him and me and his truck or mine, but mine isn't set up for plumbing.

My last Master totaled his first cube, old pos Chevy diesel. Got an extra $5k over a gasser.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,396 Posts
Two or three years after he bought it new, still under warranty, the king pins went out in it. Dealership had it for three weeks. This was back when he had 8 guys and 5 trucks, now it's him and me and his truck or mine, but mine isn't set up for plumbing.

My last Master totaled his first cube, old pos Chevy diesel. Got an extra $5k over a gasser.

I used to have 5 running trucks too back in 2001 .
Very glad we downsized

Truth be told your boss is making more money with less stress now with only you working for him than he did when he had all the 8 idiots working for him..

He just needs to take better care of himself.

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He says exactly that! Says all he was was a fireman putting out fires.

Just talked with him, even with pain meds he hurts worse today then yesterday. He was going to meet me out at the barn on his golf cart but changed his mind.

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been working all his smaller jobs and finishes. Usually two or three of his and two to three of mine.

He did drive an hour away today to look at a '16 cube then met me at a job. Said he shouldn't have gotten out of the house today. This morning he needed help just to get out of bed, but we need a new truck. Tuesday will be his first day back to work. Full day roughing in a dentist office, then Wednesday and Thursday the finish and commercial heater at the 11 unit building. We hired a guy I used to work with and a buddy of mine for grunt labor, so hopefully we can knock them all out. He's just planning on building sinks and letting us set them. Friday we're stripping the truck, picking up the new one and filling it back up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
We take so much for granted, like the steps won't be slippery, or the bucket we are standing on won't tip over. I hope he gets better and you are able to cover for him and make enough to keep the shop going.
I just did this the other day, stood on a bucket bc I just needed that extra height. Then put my shoe covers on to go in the house and damn near slipped on hardwood floor stairs. Coulda been bad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update, he's about 75% now. Should've taken more time off though.

Between his fall and messing up my knee and right hand on that commercial heater we make quite the team.

Vacation starts today and ends on the 27th. Thankfully the guy I trained will be stepping in my place. He left the trade and is currently laid off while GM retools.

Law of nature, everything works out in the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts