Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just seeing what you guys charge. out here eastern long island flat rate during business hours 550 for first half hour 225 after that per hr. i here of rotter router charging 850 just to show up ?emergency call with snake 750 first half hr. 300 after for each additional hr

·
Registered
34 Posts
just seeing what you guys charge. out here eastern long island flat rate during business hours 550 for first half hour 225 after that per hr. i here of rotter router charging 850 just to show up ?emergency call with snake 750 first half hr. 300 after for each additional hr
I work for Roto-Rooter Corporate. We charge $369 flat rate cleanout & $569 through pulled toilet. Same price all hours. Now I will say there are corrupt guys that will overcharge.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work for Roto-Rooter Corporate. We charge $369 flat rate cleanout & $569 through pulled toilet. Same price all hours. Now I will say there are corrupt guys that will overcharge.
but your in cali in im NY so the rate are probably different

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
902 Posts
We can't charge close to that... Even roto rooters rate here in Canada is a lot lower than those rates...

Everyone's rate should be different depending on what they need to charge to make money

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
We can't charge close to that... Even roto rooters rate here in Canada is a lot lower than those rates...

Everyone's rate should be different depending on what they need to charge to make money
Mr looter charges 850$ to auger the toilet and another one instead of installing a 7$ o-ring was charging 20 000$-40 000$ to demolish the entire bathroom to get to the pipes. The large quote was from an actual customer of mine and the other from a caller who booted them out the door.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
We charge our usual rate of 95$/hr plus a 65$ drain snaking fee. I always tell people, we might be the most expensive plumbers around but for drain snaking we're the best deal you'll find anywhere. OT is time & a half. Camera is 250$.

For drain snaking from an inside c.o. or pulling a toilet we only have "competition" from two other companies, one is roto and the other is rooter too and they're both way overpriced with the former being woefully inexperienced.

I have heard horror stories from the former like 1500$ to come blow air through the pipes which did nothing. And a house in which they charged the 1500$ to unclog and then a further 500$ to replace a piece of cast iron inside the home with gutter drain pipe and screw up the fernco connection and not glue the bottom joint into the tee!!

·
Registered
Plumber/Gasfitter
902 Posts
For us its 200 bucks minimum and up to about 300 depending on which machine you need... If you need a jet its 5 bills on top of the already 200+ bill... That price is good for up to 2 hrs after that its more per hour.. For those snake jobs that take a full day to get them all out...

If its a weekend then I charge more even because they already called 5 other companies and nobody wants to go out wait till Monday ..

Those are house prices .. Commercial contracts are cheaper rates...

I have a hard time charging someone 200 to auger a toilet and be out in 25 seconds but I for warn before I even start...

Plumbing rates are so much per hr plus material.. Unless they ask for a quite then we set the price with a cushion in case shyt hits the fan...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if I'm breaking out the auger I only charge a service call but if I'm taking out the machine and playing with **** then I'm charging them. I had a customer ask why do we charge so much to snake lines I looked him in the face and I said because we are playing with **** and there is a price that come with that line of work. he though about it for a second and said you know what your right ! hey if some one in the area wants to do it cheaper then let them but I must be doing something good because I'm staying busy doing it and a lot of my job are through recommendations. I hooked up with a cesspool company and they recommend me all the time. I also seem to be doing all the local restaurants around here as well. hell I would do drain cleaning and water heaters all day if I could and get away from the new construction......!

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
I have a hard time charging someone 200 to auger a toilet and be out in 25 seconds but I for warn before I even start...
Like czplumbing we are working in human feces, those feces splash in my face on my clothes, many times when you pull a toilet it's full of it underneath and got to wipe it off from under the bowl. Then working with customers that insult you on the phone or in person. Nowadays you could double or triple that amount for the covid hazard and precautions.

Damn right to them I charge a lot. In my mind it's not enough. Almost double after 3pm and if they don't like it they will call someone else or the hack with a dollar store plunger or this fake liquid in a bottle and tell them to et it sit a while. Do you think doctor's are remorseful earning 400 to 800 thousand dollars a year for prescribing pills?

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
your in the hamptons..home of multi million $$ homes..dam right charge as much as you can..you bet those people with money charge for what they sell or how they made their millions...

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
For us its 200 bucks minimum and up to about 300 depending on which machine you need... If you need a jet its 5 bills on top of the already 200+ bill... That price is good for up to 2 hrs after that its more per hour.. For those snake jobs that take a full day to get them all out...

If its a weekend then I charge more even because they already called 5 other companies and nobody wants to go out wait till Monday ..

Those are house prices .. Commercial contracts are cheaper rates...

Plumbing rates are so much per hr plus material.. Unless they ask for a quite then we set the price with a cushion in case shyt hits the fan...

one of the biggest mistakes is not CHARGING what your worth...you need to know your customers or market..all customers are NOT equal..the rich pay more and the average person pays less and it all evens out in the end....
the rich dont mind paying more as long as you make sure they feel like they are being taken care of...hell they will drop 5k for a 1 day spa treatment..why because they feel good at the end of the day..so a service call is just the same thing..if you leave them with that warm fuzzy feeling like they are something special they will pay for it...
now dont get me wrong, you can go over board and crush even the rich and they wont be happy, but you have to find the balance, and anyone that says charging rich people more are either not in their own business or suck at being in business and will never get ahead...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
....you need to know your customers or market..all customers are NOT equal..the rich pay more and the average person pays less and it all evens out in the end......

I don't think you should set out to charge one more than the other, but I certainly think it often does work out that way for several good reasons.

For instance, if I am working in a farm house, I might only put down one drop cloth instead of running them all the way from the front door to the bathroom when bringing the old toilet out. And I can bet you I'm only using that one drop cloth to keep me clean lolz. Where as if I'm in a mcmansion with a housekeeper it's going to take me an extra 30-60mins just doing drop cloths and cleaning everything back to mint when I am done.

I would hazard a guess and say it takes longer to tile a wall when the house is new and the walls are plumb because any error will be obvious. But if you're in a blue collar home where the last homeowner did the addition himself you're just gonna slap that tile on and wipe your caulk joints a little faster.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
8,959 Posts

I don't think you should set out to charge one more than the other, but I certainly think it often does work out that way for several good reasons.

For instance, if I am working in a farm house, I might only put down one drop cloth instead of running them all the way from the front door to the bathroom when bringing the old toilet out. And I can bet you I'm only using that one drop cloth to keep me clean lolz. Where as if I'm in a mcmansion with a housekeeper it's going to take me an extra 30-60mins just doing drop cloths and cleaning everything back to mint when I am done.

I would hazard a guess and say it takes longer to tile a wall when the house is new and the walls are plumb because any error will be obvious. But if you're in a blue collar home where the last homeowner did the addition himself you're just gonna slap that tile on and wipe your caulk joints a little faster.

you are on the right track now...as I stated before...know the type of customer you are working for..and yes working in a several million $$ house will take longer and more care than working in a 500k house....
you can bet your azz the lambo dealership is going to charge way more than the chevy dealer working on your car....
why?/ because if you scratch a few hundred thousand $$ car its gona cost a whole lot more than fixing a 50 k car...
but in all these examples you are providing white glove service as they say for the higher end client and that comes with a premium price..
and the wealthy are happy to pay it if they get the service..

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
Doctors make about 240k a year on average. Given the liability and massive amounts of schooling I think that's fair.

https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/medical-doctor/canada/quebec/quebec-city

I bet most make more than that, overtime and the number of tickets. I've heard many people have like a 5-10 minute limit to see a doctor and only one ailment per visit. Is it a way to make the counter spin more dollars?

But anyway I have thousands and thousands of hours in various schools plus many more thousand hours of study. I have massive liability too.

Here take a look ,it's in French, but it paints a broader picture.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...omnipraticiens, eux, ont vu,250 $ à 414 723 $.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,301 Posts
Around these parts the average to clean out a sewer is around 250
---375 bucks... I get people all the time thinking I will come out and assess their stopped up kitchen drain situation and give them an estimate. Roto rooter is pretty high and they do a lot of plundering and pillaging...

they actually squeal like babies when you tell them its going to be 175 to 275 depending on what is involved.......:crying::vs_laugh:

any more I just pass them on to others to do because I am busy enough and simply dont care to haggle with cry babies that think the job should be done for 75 bucks..

their are some companies that advertise 90 bucks for any size drain and I actually pity those fools they send out on those suiside missions

free estimates I give over the phone, going out to look at something for free is now a thing of the past and not cost effictive..

·
canuckPlumBbob
868 Posts
250 for mainline if its an in an out job, extra 100 if i send the camera down an locate.
If its turns into a schit show its 100/ hour after the 250.
To pull out the k50 is min 150 bucks...again if i end up with 2-3 hour into it with clean up an drive time price goes north.

If the customer is a pain in the ars the price depends on what mood they put me in

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
All in all, it’s all your location. Back in ‘01 in California I charged about what I do now in Michigan. Milk is still less than half in 2020 here than I paid out there back then.

The big guys around me charge around $350 through a clean out. You can hire a hole puncher for $99 any drain here, but no warranty.

I charge $195 for 100’ through a clean out, $65 to R&R a stool. After 4pm an extra $50 and $100 more for after 7 and weekends. Holidays are an extra $200.

I do have a few customers who are either very good customers and some who are not well off by any means who I give generous discounts to, but they are a select few.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts