Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m getting ready to redue a shower, nothing fancy but they do want a rain head coming from the ceiling. wondering at what height do I set the shower head. 7' ? thanks Steve

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You mean the rain head alone? I don't think it matters so long as the flow stays withing the boundaries of the shower base.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The correct answer is: what ever height the customer wants it at.
That's only the correct answer if the HO knows what height they want it. Most I've dealt with don't have a clue.

Remember to slope the horizontal line above the ceiling back towards the valve, helps keep don't the drips. However, if the shower is also a steam room with air tight glass door, whenever the door opens the shower room pressure changes which can cause a release of the vacuum in the rain head, ie. drips. Drives some HOs crazy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No code, but be sure to warn the customer that if the rain head is much more than a foot or so above them the water will cool down before they get wet. BRRRR

·
Registered
356 Posts
you probably are going to want a 3/4" hot and cold service to the shower as well. Also check the trap size. I just installed a 12 spray shower stall, homeowner insisted on keeping his 1 1/2" trap... you can guess what happened..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys taken all this info in, tough part is getting a 18" brushed nickle down rod and getting it to hang plumb.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
you probably are going to want a 3/4" hot and cold service to the shower as well. Also check the trap size. I just installed a 12 spray shower stall, homeowner insisted on keeping his 1 1/2" trap... you can guess what happened..
Let me guess he got mad at the plumber and there was battle over payment or, he was calling you back wanting it fixed for free..

Sometimes when the customer knows more about plumbing than the plumber it's a good idea to move on to a different job and let them find a dumber plumber.

That way someone else gets the mad customer, the callbacks, and the bad mouthing...

Generally I do nothing 1/2 azzed at the customers direction and if there is a sticking point I have no trouble walking...

Saves a lot of headaches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts