Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
that's cool. i got to help on a few of those when i started in colorado but there really isn't a demand for them here. a few of the million dollar plus homes but i think it's just people looking to outdo the neighbors.

paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
nice, i have installed a few boilers with radiators or base board, but never radiant. hope to do one some day. do have A/C? regular air handler w/duct work or high velocity.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice, i have installed a few boilers with radiators or base board, but never radiant. hope to do one some day. do have A/C? regular air handler w/duct work or high velocity.
yea, i have air handle in attic. my house was built in 1976 and had electric radiant in ceiling, wall heaters in bathrooms, toe space heater in kitchen. we remodeled bathrooms and kitchen in last 2 years and i decided 2 install radiant floor heat in bathrooms and kitchen. we like it so far :thumbup:

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
I don't think the Taco is supposed to be installed like that. Last I looked the motor shaft has to be horizontal. You might want to look at that and possibly change it to add some life to the motor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the Taco is supposed to be installed like that. Last I looked the motor shaft has to be horizontal. You might want to look at that and possibly change it to add some life to the motor.
the instructions that came with pump said that as long as there was more than 20psi it could be installed in any position

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not bad looking work.

A quick question - I noticed you had 2 Wirsbo seperate manifolds for your radiant and you had zone valves feeding each of those manifolds. Why did you bother buying the Wirsbo manifolds if you are just going to use Zone valves to feed them? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for using good quality manifolds if needed, but because you are using zone valves and not actuators you could have built your own manifold using header stock and some dahl balancing valves and saved some good $$$ and it would have done every bit as good of a job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not bad looking work.

A quick question - I noticed you had 2 Wirsbo seperate manifolds for your radiant and you had zone valves feeding each of those manifolds. Why did you bother buying the Wirsbo manifolds if you are just going to use Zone valves to feed them? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for using good quality manifolds if needed, but because you are using zone valves and not actuators you could have built your own manifold using header stock and some dahl balancing valves and saved some good $$$ and it would have done every bit as good of a job.
this is my 1st hot water heat job....still learning. thanks for the suggestion

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
What exactly is wrong with using pex for radiant? It's my understanding that it was originally used for that before being used for potable water and has a long track record of use in radiant.

I like the job expect for the pex.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice job!

No problem using pex for radiant, infact its probably one of the best products to use, i'm not sure what ******* is talking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not bad for a first time....We install radiant in at least 90% of the homes that we do each year, in fact I believe the radiant heating side of my work just might be my favorite part. In regards to the comment about not using a manifold....I do not agree. For the extra $150 that you spend on the manifold it is well worth it in the time you save and the professional look of the finished product. Rehau is my brand of choice for both pex and manifolds. I'll have to start taking pictures of my radiant work and put them up for all to see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
next time don't use the filltroll. Those are complete junk... Nice theory but their implementation of it is a complete failure...

I recommend using a watts 1156 variant and a extroll 30 for the tank. It will last MUCH longer. You can also add a threaded ball valve right to the ext 30 which is a nice service feature. Some codes don't allow that but its a great idea...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts