Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@Tango

I finally remembered to tell you, I installed an r.o. a couple weeks ago and it had an air gap built in. The waste from the r.o. cartridge goes up into the single tap faucet body and then down into the drain. The faucet body has an air gap built in anything that would back up from the drain just comes out the faucet base and onto the deck of the sink/counter.

I don't install many of them and when you had mentioned turning one down because it didn't have an air gap I could have sworn they did but couldn't remember. Funny enough like a day later I went and installed that one.

Makes me realize, for units without an air gap you could stub the r.o. waste line up through a hole in the deck and just have it drain into the sink above the flood rim. You'd also need a check valve right at the end. Not sure what fittings you would use to make this look nice.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
In our code we cannot discharge waste water in a sink. I had the technician scour the code for something that would make it legal for me. Nope Nothing other than bringing the line to a floor drain 50 feet away in the basement... In the process I learned we are not allowed to dump a washing machine hose in a laundry tub! I told him what?? It was okay before and a common thing now it's illegal. Come on! Last year I had to dump a laundry machine into a laundry tub so the pump underneath could handle the volume to rise it to the 3" in the ceiling. Even the pump instructions said you had to do it that way. So now if anyone has a machine in the basement and the drain is higher I'll have to remove the faucet altogether to make it legal or to install a secondary tub or pit sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In our code we cannot discharge waste water in a sink. I had the technician scour the code for something that would make it legal for me. Nope Nothing other than bringing the line to a floor drain 50 feet away in the basement... In the process I learned we are not allowed to dump a washing machine hose in a laundry tub! I told him what?? It was okay before and a common thing now it's illegal. Come on! Last year I had to dump a laundry machine into a laundry tub so the pump underneath could handle the volume to rise it to the 3" in the ceiling. Even the pump instructions said you had to do it that way. So now if anyone has a machine in the basement and the drain is higher I'll have to remove the faucet altogether to make it legal or to install a secondary tub or pit sitting on the floor.
That's really dumb.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Here, manufacture specs supersedes code.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if you added a tee and trap to the kitchen sink stack? Then you could also do an air gap on the trap. That would have to pass. Or do one of those above the counter traps meant for dishwashers and just drill another hole in the deck.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
289 Posts
What if you added a tee and trap to the kitchen sink stack? Then you could also do an air gap on the trap. That would have to pass. Or do one of those above the counter traps meant for dishwashers and just drill another hole in the deck.
We can use a filler that has a vent line added to it. They are crap and start leaking in a few months and runs into the sink. Floor drains here have lots of things draining into them. We put standpipes in that drain condensate from furnaces and distillers. My RO goes to the basement floor drain it keeps the trap primed.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts

That air gap that went over the countertop that the Dane had pictured would be illegal because if there's a backup it would discharge in the sink. For a tee on the kitchen stack yeah probably but no one will want to have their wall cut up in the basement with an access panel. Also if the drain line clogs that's where it'll overflow and ruin the wall and no one will notice it for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Illinois, manufactures install does not supersede the code either. Floor sinks, nub drain, floor drain is fine. Sinks are not intended to receive fixture discharges.
What is approved here is a separate trap under the sink with an increaser and an indirect discharge into that trap or a separate trap with a wye branch tailpiece with the top capped and hose ran up through an air gap fitting.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
Illinois, manufactures install does not supersede the code either. Floor sinks, nub drain, floor drain is fine. Sinks are not intended to receive fixture discharges.
What is approved here is a separate trap under the sink with an increaser and an indirect discharge into that trap or a separate trap with a wye branch tailpiece with the top capped and hose ran up through an air gap fitting.

For that we would need a separate "kitchen" line. We can't have 2 traps on the trap arm. Any pictures or what I highlighted in yellow?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For that we would need a separate "kitchen" line. We can't have 2 traps on the trap arm. Any pictures or what I highlighted in yellow?
What about a second tee on the pipe coming up? So you'd have two completely separate traps and arms on the same stack. I have to guess that even a single 1-1/2" line would support the dfu's for the sink and the r.o. discharge. I guess they might want it to be 2".

All of this assumes the line has a real vent for simplicity's sake.

And are you telling me they'd rather have an airgap overflow somewhere other than the sink? Even for an r.o.? Most AHJ have a process where by you can request an exception.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
What about a second tee on the pipe coming up? So you'd have two completely separate traps and arms on the same stack. I have to guess that even a single 1-1/2" line would support the dfu's for the sink and the r.o. discharge. I guess they might want it to be 2".

All of this assumes the line has a real vent for simplicity's sake.

And are you telling me they'd rather have an airgap overflow somewhere other than the sink? Even for an r.o.? Most AHJ have a process where by you can request an exception.

A second tee would be okay I think, problem is the kitchen cabinet's back wall has to be cut out, the exterior wall cut out to put the tee. The stack could be a couple feet on either side too so more cutting. I haven't checked dfu's

Anyway I gave up that idea, the only system sold is at HD and too complicated to comply. People want it cheap plus if I were to do it I would get slapped while all the other hackers with a plumbing licenses who install them go Scott free. I don't want to waste time on this anymore even for all those companies who hack it installing them. I don't want to tell customers either their kit was hacked in it'll just come back to bite me somehow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts