Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using Quickbooks since 04 and it has worked great for me. My cpa said I really learned it fast. Only problem I can't seem to solve is this....
I have an unpaid invoice from last year that my cpa wrote off as a bad dept. I don't know how to delete it from Quickbooks. It shows up in my aging summory and it's starting to annoy me. Cpa wants 85.00 per hour to remotely connect to me ( RAZ ) to remedy the problem. NOT!!
Anyone here able to help? Thanks ;)

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheew!! I am blonde remember? That flew over my head like a bullet.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
My quickbooks has a journel entry type of thingy to where i can make adjustments to stupid mistakes that i make when i feel like being a stupid person, like that time i mistook a bad waterheater that I replaced, to only find out after the fact that it was a slab leak that was causing the water not to heat. Oops. TO be young.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I know about qb contractors addition 2004, that will not work. It still is in the aging summary

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will not delete the invoice if it is an unpaid invoice. Been there, tried that.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Write off Bad Debt

From the receive payments window, select the invoice to be written off, click on discount. From the discount window enter the amount to be written off and select "bad debt expense" as the account. This write-off method will not adjust the liability included for sales tax on the invoice. Neither will it reduce the sales reported on your sales by item reports. Therefore a more comprehensive method is to use a credit memo. Plus you may need to set up a new item called "bad debt write-off taxable " – Item type = other charge, account = bad debt expense, tax code = tax . To write off bad debt that did not include sales tax, set up a second item called “bad debt write-off non taxable. First create a credit memo with the tax or non taxable bad debt item and save. For versions 2005 and later, a POP-UP will ask you if you want to link this to an invoice. For earlier versions, at the customer payment window, highlight the invoice to offset with the credit memo and click the Set Credits button.

From intuit

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And to think they send me mail wanting me to upgrade. :wacko:
Yea maybe. IF IT WOULD DELETE UNPAID INVOICES!!!!!

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally. A man with true qb knowledge. :clap:

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
The way I did it was marked it paid, but then made a general ledger entry subtracting the amount paid. This way everything balances out. One thing you could look for is a reverse entry. If I was at my other office I could be more of help. Sorry.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should just get me some matches and use the sob's house for firewood that owes the money. I would feel better anyway. AND WARM INSIDE. :laughing:

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
I have the same version of Quickbooks on my home computer. This works and will remove it from your aging report.

Record a bad debt
  1. From the Customers menu, choose Receive Payments .
  2. In the Receive Payments window select the name of the customer from whom you incurred the bad debt.
  3. Leave the amount field at 0.00.
  4. In the list of outstanding invoices or statement charges, put a checkmark in front of the line that will not be paid. You'll get the following warning: "You cannot apply an amount greater than the total payment plus any existing credits." Click OK. The checkmark disappears leaving a square box in front of the line that will not be paid.
  5. In the Receive Payments window, click the Set Discount button. In the Discount and Credits window, enter the amount of the bad debt in the Amount of Discount field and the name of your bad debt expense account in the Discount Account field.
  6. Click Done in the Discount and Credits window.
    The procedure described above does not affect your sales tax liability.
  7. In the Receive Payments window, save the bad debt transaction.
  8. If necessary, change your sales tax liability

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
See, I told you she was like the Dali Lama, of the Qbooks. We should listen to her, cause she is smarter than us, cause she is a women, and that is what my wife reminds me of on a daily bases.
Rockstar"yes my wife housetrained me" Plumber

1 - 20 of 41 Posts